PPF worth it?

Are you putting PPF on your GX?

• Total voters

Adelorenzo

Deposit Holder
Mar 27, 2024
Akron, oh
Never had this on any one of my vehicles. How many of you guys are getting paint protection film put on? I called a couple places that do it in my area just to see and I was surprised it was $2000.

Is it worth it? I plan on driving it for 10 years or so but I’m also not super paranoid about a mark or two over the years.

PPF is crucial where I am. From rock chips alone.

Heck getting my car serviced the other day my bumper got scuffed up . This would be a big deal, except it was 3m’d so an hour reinstalling later it’s good as new.

Good gouge below the grill. Cheap insurance. For the GX I mighty wrap the whole thing and let it get pin striped on the trail until the cows come home.
IMG_3446.jpeg

PPF your front clip. Thank me later. You have money for a GX you have money to protect it. Just sayin..
Respectfully, I don’t see it that way. I don’t use phone cases, I don’t apply screen protectors, I don’t wrap my couch in plastic and I don’t wrap my leather seats in seat covers. I like enjoying it as designed.

And when it wears out in due time, I’ll get it repaired, or get another.

If you're handy, you can install PPF yourself with a pre-cut kit. I used Xpel and I did the front bumper, headlights, fenders, running boards/skirts, and rear spats on my Toyota Supra myself only armed with a couple hours of Youtube tutorials and a jar full of swears. I just checked though and the pre-cut kits aren't available yet, so I sent them an inquiry asking for a date.

Personally not a fan. Over time, dirt and mold gets under it and discolors it. Bug stains don’t come out if you don’t remove them relatively quickly.

Respectfully, I don’t see it that way. I don’t use phone cases, I don’t apply screen protectors, I don’t wrap my couch in plastic and I don’t wrap my leather seats in seat covers. I like enjoying it as designed.

And when it wears out in due time, I’ll get it repaired, or get another.
Paint isn’t designed to deflect rocks and debris. I get what you’re saying. You prefer the product as is and are spartan about it. I don’t want to throw any ego at you but from my experience PPF protects your investments.

Personally not a fan. Over time, dirt and mold gets under it and discolors it. Bug stains don’t come out if you don’t remove them relatively quickly.
If you go the pre cut template route you will get dirt underneath the edges. But imo it’s better than having nothing at all. In my experience bug stains come out completely fine.

Paint isn’t designed to deflect rocks and debris. I get what you’re saying. You prefer the product as is and are spartan about it. I don’t want to throw any ego at you but from my experience PPF protects your investments.
That's ok. You do you. I will use it, enjoy it, drive it into the ground over the next 20 years and move on when it starts looking ugly.

We may just look at it differently, as I don't see this vehicle as an investment.

That's ok. You do you. I will use it, enjoy it, drive it into the ground over the next 20 years and move on when it starts looking ugly.

We may just look at it differently, as I don't see this vehicle as an investment.
That’s completely fine! Enjoy your new ride. Preventative maintenance isn’t your thing, and that’s ok!

That’s completely fine! Enjoy your new ride. Preventative maintenance isn’t your thing, and that’s ok!
Lol. You don't know what you speak of.

All my cars are maintained in the same manner. I doubt you have anything that's gotten to 16 years and 240k miles that looks even half as nice as that. I'd love for you to prove me wrong.

But if you need to berate a rando on the internet to believe in your own beliefs, go nuts.

Lol. You don't know what you speak of.

All my cars are maintained in the same manner. I doubt you have anything that's gotten to 16 years and 240k miles that looks even half as nice as that. I'd love for you to prove me wrong.

But if you need to berate a rando on the internet to believe in your own beliefs, go nuts.
But I do! 97 civic, 97 sc300, 04 discovery. You’re the one that seems agitated over ppf lol. But I digress. I need to understand the Lexus demographic is not typically an enthusiast, more so people like you. I just find it odd that a person of your provenance bats an eye to protecting your paint, knowing that you are meticulous about your cars, contrary to your statements saying you beat on them and throw them away after 20 years. So what is it?

I'm diving into this convo. You won me over with the '04 Disco. Paint is paint, and there are very good paint processes and shops now that can restore a hood and bumper to levels where you wouldn't even know it was painted. So in 20 years, I will probably just repaint it rather than putting a condom on my car. Thoughts? Interested the logic with the PPF believers as it seems I chanced upon the right candidate to ask.

But I do! 97 civic, 97 sc300, 04 discovery. You’re the one that seems agitated over ppf lol. But I digress. I need to understand the Lexus demographic is not typically an enthusiast, more so people like you. I just find it odd that a person of your provenance bats an eye to protecting your paint, knowing that you are meticulous about your cars, contrary to your statements saying you beat on them and throw them away after 20 years. So what is it?
On the subject of "Lexus demographic", I don't think you'll find a certain characteristic that isolates it to be Lexus. Enthusiasts buy all brands. I've hopped across brands, platforms, and it's more generational in that the newely-released plaforms tend to have less technically-informed members and just concerned about the aesthetics and "lifestyle" of the platform. My fave is the 20+ year old platforms. Too old and rickety to be owned by non-enthusiasts, but a haven for those who truly love it. Thankfully my E46 is already there. Love that community. The W204 still has some kids hanging around talking about lowering springs, but they'll fall off soon enough.

I just find it odd that a person of your provenance bats an eye to protecting your paint, knowing that you are meticulous about your cars, contrary to your statements saying you beat on them and throw them away after 20 years. So what is it?
To answer this question, I'm not that old yet. 20 years is an estimate. My E46 is now 22, but I've never owned a Lexus so not sure if this truly is all the hype and will go the distance. If it turns out to be anything close to the brand's reputation, you can bet I'll drive this until the Second Coming.

If you go the pre cut template route you will get dirt underneath the edges. But imo it’s better than having nothing at all. In my experience bug stains come out completely fine.
Hmph, I've not had any edges get dirt or mold under them and it's been on my car for 3 years now. My previous M3 had a custom PPF job and was flawless after 4 years too. 🤷‍♂️

And, yeah bug stains and rubber marks (from loose rubber on the track) come off perfectly fine. Even if left on for weeks.

Back