2024 Lexus GX 550 vs 2025 Toyota Land Cruiser?

supersix

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 12, 2023
Would you choose the rumored 2025 Land Cruiser over the 2024 GX550 if it looked like this?

C&D-2025-LandCruiser.jpg

So will the Land Cruiser be based on the same vehicle as the Lexus GX with the differences just being cosmetic changes? If it's purely cosmetic then at this point I would say I'm going to go with the Lexus GX550.

I still wonder if the Land Cruiser is just a 4runner replacement or something more? I don't see quite how it fits in the Toyota SUV lineup with the 4runner/Sequoia.

In the past, the Toyota Land Cruiser was more expensive than the Lexus GX because it was the full sized Land Cruiser, i.e. the Toyota version of the Lexus LX, which I think starts at around $90K. The Lexus GX has always been the Lexus version of the Land Cruiser Prado which wasn't available in the US. Allegedly Toyota will be bringing the new Land Cruiser Prado to the US for 2025 instead of the full size Land Cruiser, which will be a much better fit for the US market. Since the GX and Prado will be the same platform, one would expect the Toyota Prado to be less expensive than the Lexus GX.

In the past, the Toyota Land Cruiser was more expensive than the Lexus GX because it was the full sized Land Cruiser, i.e. the Toyota version of the Lexus LX, which I think starts at around $90K. The Lexus GX has always been the Lexus version of the Land Cruiser Prado which wasn't available in the US. Allegedly Toyota will be bringing the new Land Cruiser Prado to the US for 2025 instead of the full size Land Cruiser, which will be a much better fit for the US market. Since the GX and Prado will be the same platform, one would expect the Toyota Prado to be less expensive than the Lexus GX.
This is great info, thanks for sharing!

Quarter million miles, that's pretty impressive! My buddy has a Toyota Tacoma with I think around there. 210,000+ for sure, he said it still has the original clutch. I was amazed.

Quarter million miles, that's pretty impressive! My buddy has a Toyota Tacoma with I think around there. 210,000+ for sure, he said it still has the original clutch. I was amazed.
Clutch life depends nearly entirely on the driver, and obviously your buddy was skilled with the clutch/shifting. As our son has painfully found out, kids driving a manual transmission can be costly. The old days of pulling the transmission/bell housing off and easily replacing the clutch and throw-out bearing are gone. Heck, I can remember doing in in the dirt...

If the LC or GX will be a "keeper", i.e. beyond warranty, something to consider may be engine servicing, in particular the turbos. The Tundra had some teething issues in this regard, and it revealed that to access the turbos the entire Tundra cab had to be lifted off the frame. Obviously not a simple procedure. We don't know yet, but would this be necessary with the GX? I'm presuming, but don't know, that accessing the turbo, and other engine components on the LC will be a simpler task?

Regarding the thread question, I am thinking possibly the GX will be an easier vehicle to get than the LC? I can see the potential for severe LC backorders. Of course the 5000 Land Cruiser First Editions will precede the "Land Cruiser" and 1958 trims, and most likely be nearly impossible to get, in particular without paying a huge dealer markup.

GX550 Poll

• 1. tOny enD

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • 2. MJM

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • 3. SsgIncognito

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. bfloyd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5. Let’s Gooo!

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • 6. Widdlewadder510