Best Drop Hitch for GX550

504GX

New member
Joined
Aug 26, 2026
Messages
7
Media
1
Reaction score
3
Location
LA
Hello - I just towed a 5000lb boat from Atlanta to the Gulf Coast and was very impressed with the GX's power. I learned the hard way about the lane departure assist causing terrible fish tailing when towing. It's dangerous until you turn it off and should automatically be disabled in Tow/Haul mode. An issue that I've never had to figure with past vehicles is hitch height. The GX OT sits so high that my boat trailer was not level when towing. At speeds over 65 mph the trailer became very unstable. I am investing in a drop hitch to properly level the trailer while towing. Does anyone have any experience with these hitches:

https://www.bulletproofhitches.com/...ts/2-0-aluminum-medium-duty-6-drop-rise-hitch

Any other hitches that have worked well for towing boats?

thanks!
 
I have the Andersen drop hitch. Works great and has enough adjustability to keep trailers level after I lifted and upsized tires.

I bought my same hitch and used it often with my lifted Tacoma.

If I was buying new today I’d buy a weigh safe with the integrated tongue load scale. No guessing on the trailer tongue weight.

Be sure to have a longer hitch pin/keep the one Lexus gives you. Standard length pins don’t work.
 
2nd the B&W line of hitches!
Really like the 2 I have, both are 5” drops & works on LC/GX high tail. You probably only need a 1 7/8” & 2”, but the 3-ball version also has 2 5/16”. I really wouldn’t recommend pulling a trailer that needs that 2 5/16” ball w/ a GX550. The ball size flexibility is nice if you have multiple trailers your dealing with. W/ stow feature I just leave it on & use locking receiver pin.

 
I really wouldn’t recommend pulling a trailer that needs that 2 5/16” ball w/ a GX550.
I'm curious why you would say that.

The trailer manufacture chooses the size and we need to match it. I understand it's possible a trailer well over the GX's rated towing capacity could use a 2 5/16" ball and there are other factors. But there are many trailers including my small single axle travel trailer (4400lbs) that require this size ball. What's the problem?
 
Always exceptions of course.
2 5/16” is the trailer standard for 6000# to 30K#.
2” is normally for 3500# to 7500#.

I don’t want to be in front of anyone w/ GX550 pulling:
  • 9K# trailer +
  • 5500# of GX550 +
  • 1000# of people & gear =
  • pushing gross out to 15,500#.

You’re kidding yourself if you think a GX can stop well repeatedly w/ that weight. Much less keep oil, coolant or tranny temps close to specs. There not designed anything like a 3/4 ton truck. One of the reasons why the industry generally tries to keep hitch size relevant.
 
OK, it's really not about the ball size, it's about the weights. I agree.

The owners manual provides the GCVR and all the other weight considerations by trim (~ 14,000lbs). I've pulled several (actually mostly) trailers with 2 5/16" hitches that are well below these weight limits.

I'm with you on not wanting to be in front of anyone exceeding these limits , no matter the size of their balls. (pun intended).
 
I bought a Weight Safe Drop Hitch with a 10" drop; comes with a 2" and 2 5/8" ball. This allows me to double check tongue weight. Have a 12' and 18' trailer that I use to haul equipment on. When not towing, I turn the ball around so that I don't bang my knee on it when you walk by.

Weigh Safe Drop Hitch​

 

Users who are viewing this thread

GX550 Poll

  • Yes, I can pick up in Los Angeles (Burbank area)

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Yes, but I need it shipped.

    Votes: 10 58.8%
Back
Top Bottom