Cheap Sleep Solution (1 Viewer)

YellowLab

Well-known member
🏆 GX of the Month
⭐ Supporting Member
Joined
May 13, 2024
Messages
1,393
Media
121
Reaction score
1,049
Location
Southern California
Like many on the threads - lots of debate going around about sleeping platforms and what is best, which ones are warping, etc. My goal was I wanted something fully removable quickly. So, while I'm shopping what to buy, let me be the first to introduce the newest edition called simply 'Mr. Plywood.' It's that mysterious wood that no one quite knows thats in it - just like a hot dog at the ball park.

Integrating Mr Plywood with a 1/2 height tote from Amazon - everything is perfectly flat and easy to leave behind or on the side of the road if needed. It even has aerospace inspired 'Kentucky Chrome' trim should you want to impress your wife or dog. At about $20 cut from the local hardware store - I can toss my Thermarest on top and boom - ready to go. Its 72" x 24" comes with a free loaf of cheese and miracle whip.


IMG_4637.webp
IMG_4638.webp
 
It looks like you could have went a little wider. Think you could have went 26”, or maybe more, without hitting the other seat? Maybe have to use thicker plywood, though, as it wouldn’t be as well supported. That would cost more…so never mind 😃
 
Important aspect to factor in is number of uses over the lifetime of a purchase (flashback to our discussion of the “cool box” - $300 sodas).

Truth be told if you deploy a sleeping platform out in the wilderness once every few years .. it makes zero sense to invest in a $6000 drawer / sleeping set up or a RTT for that matter. As with the new home build Jacuzzi tub or the cool box - it may amount to $$$$$ (thousands of dollars per use).

I think 🤔 despite its threadbare look the idea is solid!! And actually if you buy black hexclad birch plywood … $200 a piece - and band the finished edges you could actually make something decent looking at a very low cost.


IMG_6061.webp
 
It looks like you could have went a little wider. Think you could have went 26”, or maybe more, without hitting the other seat? Maybe have to use thicker plywood, though, as it wouldn’t be as well supported. That would cost more…so never mind 😃
My thermarest Mondoking is 22” wide so I only need this. It I want to add a second the Plywood Is 48” wide so you get 2 Mr Plywoods from 1 sheet.
 
Important aspect to factor in is number of uses over the lifetime of a purchase (flashback to our discussion of the “cool box” - $300 sodas).

Truth be told if you deploy a sleeping platform out in the wilderness once every few years .. it makes zero sense to invest in a $6000 drawer / sleeping set up or a RTT for that matter. As with the new home build Jacuzzi tub or the cool box - it may amount to $$$$$ (thousands of dollars per use).

I think 🤔 despite its threadbare look the idea is solid!! And actually if you buy black hexclad birch plywood … $200 a piece - and band the finished edges you could actually make something decent looking at a very low cost.


View attachment 25349
That looks very slick. I might try to coat mine with the material used for pick-up truck beds. or add a rubber matting. The challenge is not to kill the simplicity of a light weight piece of wood.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

GX550 Poll

  • Yes, I can pick up in Los Angeles (Burbank area)

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Yes, but I need it shipped.

    Votes: 10 58.8%
Back
Top Bottom