GX550 with Method Wheels running 35x12.50 tires

supersix

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 12, 2023
gx550-35x1250-method2.png
gx550-35x1250-method1.png

New 2024 GX550 on 35X12.5 Toyo Open Country tires wrapped around some Method Race Wheels 703 17X8.5 w/ +35 offset. Westcott_designs also added a pre cooler kit along with their new modular roof rack for the GX.

Articulation isn’t such an issue if there’s ABS traction control (or lockers). The question that first occurred to me is whether those 35’s rub and if so how much remedial cutting is required.
He’s definitely going to lose some degree of articulation. There’s a prepro lift on that Gx though. Not sure if it’s blocks or new struts. There’s rubbing at full lock but according to the tech who installed it removing the plastics will solve that.

He’s definitely going to lose some degree of articulation. There’s a prepro lift on that Gx though. Not sure if it’s blocks or new struts. There’s rubbing at full lock but according to the tech who installed it removing the plastics will solve that.
Removing which plastics? It’s all a matter of degree. If it’s just mud flaps that’s no problem. Taking a hair dryer to the fender liner? That’s more of an issue, but not much more. Removing or cutting the fender liner? The fender liner has a purpose, which won’t be fulfilled if it’s cut up or removed.

Removing which plastics? It’s all a matter of degree. If it’s just mud flaps that’s no problem. Taking a hair dryer to the fender liner? That’s more of an issue, but not much more. Removing or cutting the fender liner? The fender liner has a purpose, which won’t be fulfilled if it’s cut up or removed.
I think it’s the fender liners yes. So it’s going be invasive for upsizing the tire.

Another solution to avoid rubbing might be going with narrow 35" tire like a 285/75/r18 (35x11.50)
Yeah or downsizing to a 17 with a 285 to match the diameter of the oem 18 with 265 and same positive wheel offset. That seems to be the easiest less invasive way to get more tire and only cause 15mm of height difference but keep the wheel same distance from strut.

I don’t think a lift and bigger tires will benefit 90% of gx owners ability to wheel better. I think it’s more of an American mentality to throw bigger wheels and tires at anything to increase performance. Damper technology and electronic systems have gone a long way. If anything a better solution would be to cut the front/rear bumpers for better approach/departure angles.

The GX is super trick and doesn’t need much to improve its already stellar capability.

I’m pretty supportive of bigger tires as the only real way to increase maximum underbody clearance.

Approach and departure on these cars isn’t amazing, but neither is the 8.9” of clearance to the pumpkin. Not trying to shit on the GX, but rather just note that it’s low hanging fruit for upgrade.

Best way to increase that stat with with an extra couple inches of tire.

That said. It needs to be done intelligently, and shouldn’t compromise overall vehicle function as most cowboy lifts and 35’s would.

I’m pretty supportive of bigger tires as the only real way to increase maximum underbody clearance.

Approach and departure on these cars isn’t amazing, but neither is the 8.9” of clearance to the pumpkin. Not trying to shit on the GX, but rather just note that it’s low hanging fruit for upgrade.

That said. It needs to be done intelligently, and shouldn’t compromise overall vehicle function as most cowboy lifts and 35’s would.
Well said.

đź‘Ťđź‘Ťđź‘Ťđź‘Ťđź‘Ť

Methods on J VINs is the worst.
This madness isn’t ending any time soon. Also not a fan of TEs on domestics.

GX550 Poll

• 1. tOny enD

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • 2. MJM

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • 3. SsgIncognito

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. bfloyd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5. Let’s Gooo!

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • 6. Widdlewadder510