Hello from Canada!

MattAu

Dec 13, 2023
Canada
Anyone else here from Canada? Any idea of pricing? I saw the pricing for the U.S. and it looks like it's going to be quite a bit more expensive than the current generation. Am I wrong?

Reactions: MJE
Calgary, Alberta here. I hate how they can’t release our info as the same time. We’re obviously always more costly than the US no matte what the car is, but thankfully not as much more as a straight exchange rate calculation would be. Not sure how much more expensive it might be, there’s only so much room to move when you’re bumping up against a $100K price point. Current is $80-90K while the LX is >$115K. So there’s some room to move up. $90-100K? Could there be room to max out at $110K here?

That starts to make a $70K (guessing) LC look like not a bad deal, or a $65K (guessing) Taco Limited look downright cheap. I’m fortunate to not really be budget limited, but it won’t be long & a car could cost what I spent for my first house. I hope you’re wrong, I’m guessing you’re not.

I suppose if they are smart, they will price it just under the $100k so there will not be luxury tax

I suppose if they are smart, they will price it just under the $100k so there will not be luxury tax
🤞 on that! I used to think $100K was an impossible sum of money for a vehicle. I’m now thinking $99K might just be my upper end limit for one. Not sure I understand the tax though. Is it only on the amount >$100K? Or once you cross $100K it’s applied to the whole amount? Then is GST applied on top of that so there’s tax on tax? Like we don’t pay enough already… 😑 🙄

The luxury tax on the sale, importation, registration or lease of a subject vehicle priced or valued above the price threshold, or on subject vehicles valued above the price threshold held by a person ceasing to be a registered vendor of subject vehicles is calculated as the lesser of:
  1. the taxable amount multiplied by 10%
  2. the amount that results from subtracting $100,000 from the taxable amount and multiplying the difference by 20%
So based on the above, my understanding is if the car is $120k, the tax would be $4k. And HST (rest of Canada) is on top of everything - yes, tax or tax.

The luxury tax on the sale, importation, registration or lease of a subject vehicle priced or valued above the price threshold, or on subject vehicles valued above the price threshold held by a person ceasing to be a registered vendor of subject vehicles is calculated as the lesser of:
  1. the taxable amount multiplied by 10%
  2. the amount that results from subtracting $100,000 from the taxable amount and multiplying the difference by 20%
So based on the above, my understanding is if the car is $120k, the tax would be $4k. And HST (rest of Canada) is on top of everything - yes, tax or tax.
That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation!

My sales agent told me the Luxury package would be somewhere 110K to 115K. Yes, I also don't like why Canadian pricing is released late.

Hello, I am from Ontario Canada. I am seriously thinking of buying the GX.

Is the engine made in US or Japan? I know the V6 twin turbo engine in Tundra is made in Toyota Alabama plant. Unlikely they export the engine from US to Japan and ship the whole car back, my guess.

Last edited:
Joining the thread from Montreal.

Canadian configurator is up with pricing. Luxury tops at 108k including fees.

The canadian version is better imo, pictures are clear.

I hesitate between Nori and Nori w/black roof, but I don't like the silver line between the paint and the black roof.

On the canadian configurator, it doesn't show.

GX 550 Price on Lexus Canadian site.

I was told by the dealer that the Overtrail+ would be $108,500 + tax. I put down the deposit in July. No information about when the vehicle would be available yet. I am located in Vancouver.

GX 550 Price on Lexus Canadian site.

I was told by the dealer that the Overtrail+ would be $108,500 + tax. I put down the deposit in July. No information about when the vehicle would be available yet. I am located in Vancouver.
What is the difference between the 105k (website) and the 108.5K your dealer tells you ?

The difference is $2918. Not sure what exactly it is. It is more than the 20% luxury tax over $100k.

Attachments

• Lexus_Configuration_and_Pricing_2024_GX_550_2024-01-09.pdf
    344 KB · Views: 40

GX550 Poll

• 1. tOny enD

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • 2. MJM

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • 3. SsgIncognito

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. bfloyd

Votes: 0 0.0%