Lexus GX 550 vs Ineos Grenadier: The Two HOTTEST New 4x4s of 2024 - Which is Better?

I watched the video and still love the GX-OT+. The Grenadier looks and act too old like me. However, I did like the Grenadier's computer display regarding mapping your trips, etc...
the Grenadier trip mapping - to me - was not ideal. The outside looks fantastic! But most high priced cars should have on-board NAV via satellite. If you have only google maps, you likely have google marketing, preferences, suggestions, and likely google storing your locations. on my old LR I bought the on-board NAV (option). best decision ever, as now I can have 300+ stored locations and maps independent of google/apple maps (which do go out even when the sat NAV is still showing the way). To me, apple car play is a sell out. I think google and apple are likely paying car manufactures money to NOT develop proprietary hard drives for cars that provide NAV independent of their products. My LR NAV also stores music - you think Apple is happy with that? no way.... now apple can't "suggest similar" to me. The best way to convey luxury is to have propriety systems that insulate a driver from google suggesting you stop at xyz restaurant, because aren't you hungry? maybe you want to stay at xyz hotel? right? I think Grenadiers will eventually have a better internal NAV. it's expensive and developed by a billionare - so I suspect they are quite familiar with how folks with money are marketed to relentlessly, and having an internal independent NAV with a chip for storing locations and music is only positive. Grenadier on the outside is great, so I suspect the inside they will work on in the next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: MJE
I also don't think a GX Overtrail buyer will settle for the Grenadier experience. There's alot to a solid front axle driver, and having sat in a Grenadier (not driven one), it's really not super practical. Small cup holders in the front, and the rotary dial (to control the infotainment) is in the coffee cup landing zone. I get it: if the Grenadier can do miraculous things off road, you accept it. But a GX Overtrail is going to be really nice and comfortable on the inside, and to drive. I don't think it's the same customer, but that's just my take. I think Grenadier is in the running for folks considering a Bronco Wildtrack or Jeep Rubicon. It seems like a very specific 4x4.

I’ve been a reservation holder on a grenadier for 3 years, my build slot is actually in a few weeks here (Canada was delayed for certifications).

I won’t be taking delivery especially in the context of my GX550 order.

The vehicle is just too compromised for me who needs it to function as a daily driver ( I have other less practical vehicles that fill that role) to spend what they cost. They are insanely tall with terrible turning radius ( basically means you are parking it outside which isn’t fun in Canada ), heating is lackluster with no rear air ( also fun in Canada ), no heated steering wheel, no remote start ( sensing a theme here? ). The drivetrain performance also sounds frustrating, not enough power for driving high speeds in or outside the city.

GX gets me 90-95% of the off road capability, with all the creature comforts of my X5, for less money.

Oh and INEOS doesn’t have a sales or service center within 1000km and their solution was if I have an issue they will eventually fly someone out to fix my car. Ummm ok.

Grenadier would have without a doubt been super cool. But living with it would have been horrible.

If I was a richer man with somewhere to keep a large fleet, I’d own one and never drive it. For a car I actually want to drive every day? GX wins across the board.

My predicament exactly. The Grenadier looks cool, and it's clearly capable off road, but living with it as a daily driver? It's a tough purchase when a Defender or GX Overtrail can probably do 80% of what that Grenadier can do off road, and keep you comfortable along the way. I think the Grenadier would be great if you already had a Defender or GX, and you just used the Grenadier for fun stuff. But I don't think it can be a daily driver like Defender or GX. But that's me....

Dailying a grenadier is something that would come with a fair chunk of day to day "sacrifice"

Not sure im up for it right now.

Then again I just had a coworker call my GX order a grandpa-mobile and asked if I was 80 for wanting one hahaha

totally agree: "grandpa mobile" detractors are just their way of saying it's a big and expensive vehicle. I think it looks great. I will try the OT for sure. Will it be better than a Defender? Not sure yet, but the GX OT has 2 things Defender doesn't have: a solid roof and 18" rims. A solid roof is good if you want a roof rack, and the 18" rims help if you want stronger and more durable tires (than the road only low profile tires for the 21" rim).

And a solid roof doesn't leak.
and if you notice all of the off road advertising on Defender, it often shown with a solid roof. In other words, from an advertising perspective, JLR knows that a fishbowl is not ideal in a more unforgiving terrain. The reality is that production has been so high, they can't configure both the glass top and metal top for the US market (it's too big); thus all we have now is the glass top. But the new "Octa" high end off road pics that just got released, if you notice, it's back to Defender with a solid metal top. They know it....

I might be interested in the INEOS Fusilier in 2 to 3 years.

image003-6.jpg

I might be interested in the INEOS Fusilier in 2 to 3 years.

View attachment 588
The battery only EV is losing ground to the more popular hybrids. The GX is likely to go hybrid, but not full EV anytime soon. Ineos - as a chemical company - has access & experience with hydrogen, and is working to offer a hydrogen Grenadier. This would seem to be way more environmentally friendly than lugging around 1,000 lbs of rare earth minerals for a battery. Maybe someone will figure how to match a battery to a hydrogen engine, such that you have the hydrogen powered engine (instead of a gas powered), that replenishes a battery (but smaller than what a full EV battery is). The Rivian is a great looking SUV - but the weight is a head scratch. If it were a gas/battery set up, the Rivian would likely be way lighter than the 3 1/2 tons that it can reach. (by comp. the GX may be about 5,000 lbs or so, making a Rivian easily 1,000 lbs heavier)

The battery only EV is losing ground to the more popular hybrids. The GX is likely to go hybrid, but not full EV anytime soon. Ineos - as a chemical company - has access & experience with hydrogen, and is working to offer a hydrogen Grenadier. This would seem to be way more environmentally friendly than lugging around 1,000 lbs of rare earth minerals for a battery. Maybe someone will figure how to match a battery to a hydrogen engine, such that you have the hydrogen powered engine (instead of a gas powered), that replenishes a battery (but smaller than what a full EV battery is). The Rivian is a great looking SUV - but the weight is a head scratch. If it were a gas/battery set up, the Rivian would likely be way lighter than the 3 1/2 tons that it can reach. (by comp. the GX may be about 5,000 lbs or so, making a Rivian easily 1,000 lbs heavier)
there will be a plug in hybrid version as well.

well the market has decided which is "better", you probably won't see 30+ gx550 just sitting in dealer lot.
for me is the lack of semi auto self driving, and we all know BMW engine for sure will leak coolant and oil from the biodegradable plastic everything.

1a147f3154eca2981e704631e182bd8.jpg
31104a8fb96334153015c330d3b3f2d.jpg
b1e64e0bd9534ebc7e7b76f0f53dcf6.jpg

GX550 Poll

• 1. tOny enD

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • 2. MJM

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • 3. SsgIncognito

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. bfloyd

Votes: 0 0.0%