Lexus GX550 vs 2025 Toyota 4runner

supersix

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 12, 2023
2025-4runner-vs-landcruiser-vs-gx550.jpg

With Toyota's official unveiling of the 2025 4Runner, which shares the same platform as the GX550, has anyone considered opting for the latter vehicle instead? I'm interested how they price the upper trim levels (TRD Pro/Trail Hunter/Limited)

TL;DR Yes.

All 3, along with the Ford Ranger (the only thing comparable Ford offers) are really at the top of my list. I’d be shopping 4R Limited/Platinum. So I suspect a much smaller price gap between that & say the LC premium. & at that price a GX is easily possible, even if I’d like to move up to the OT+. I’m really just waiting to see what they do with the hybrid.

Shopping without much of a budget for a retirement vehicle to travel the continent yet maneuver in the cities once I get there presents an interesting quandary between the 3. I’m hoping sitting in all will make one a more ‘obvious’ choice than the other 2. The LC & GX are inches taller so may present roomier cabins. I’m in the camp though that loves the look of the new Taco & by extension the 4R. The gulf between even top tier versions & a GX could be enough to sway the decision to a quick cash purchase now.

This may be too far an aside topic or something for another thread. Psychological but might well play in to how a potential buyer like me may perceive the 3. But does anyone else question purchasing a Lexus as it’s too far above your perceived station in life? A pickup, Ford or Toyota, fits in easily at the Home Depot, a thrift store parking lot, or yes fancier establishments as well, at least here. A Lexus, fancy Toyota or not, seems just a step (or two..) above what my friends are doing at age 50.

I might know a lawyer buying a new Honda Pilot for his family or a VP purchasing a new VW Taos. But I also have friends on disability who have 15yo Kias a step away from the junk yard. Kind of that upper middle class conundrum where you’re striving for better, not getting there, yet realizing you may be ahead of your peers if you stop & look back a bit. That might make choosing the Lexus a smart decision if I’m happy with it for a decade or more & get a couple hundred thousand trouble free miles out of it. But may mean that choosing the more mainstream brand may be perceived better when any new car is unaffordable to many.

If it makes you feel any better I routinely drive my M BMW’s to Home Depot.

Just my $0.02, but do what makes you happy and concern yourself way less with how it comes off to other people.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: MJE
If it makes you feel any better I routinely drive my M BMW’s to Home Depot.

Just my $0.02, but do what makes you happy and concern yourself way less with how it comes off to other people.
Thank you. I think you’re quite right.

GX still is the best value. The 4Runners are going to be the same or even more with dealer markups as a GX, and there’s going to be more people bidding for them than a GX. The 4Runner is the cash cow for Toyota with is aggressive styling for the NA market. Don’t get me wrong it’s a cool suv but has nothing on the Overtrail.

GX still is the best value. The 4Runners are going to be the same or even more with dealer markups as a GX, and there’s going to be more people bidding for them than a GX. The 4Runner is the cash cow for Toyota with is aggressive styling for the NA market. Don’t get me wrong it’s a cool suv but has nothing on the Overtrail.
Hmm.. that’s a good point. The GX has typically been a pretty niche vehicle, at least here. One of those you forgot Lexus sold until you start seeing them everywhere once you see one. Currently here I’d heard the GX allocations are sponge for in 24 & 25. But at a better price point yet with dealer markups it could be closer in price than you’d think. I know on the used market the GX represents a better value.

This was published on the Car and Driver website as their estimate for the new 4runner pricing:

SR5 - $43,000 EST
TRD SPORT $46,000 EST
TRD SPORT PREMIUM - $48,000 EST
TRD OFF-ROAD $50,000 - EST
TRD OFF-ROAD PREMIUM $52,000 EST
LIIMITED - $54,000 EST

Here's the pricing estimates from KBB.com:

4Runner SR5 (turbo)$43,000 (estimated)
4Runner TRD Sport (turbo)$46,000 (estimated)
4Runner TRD Sport Premium (turbo)$47,000 (estimated)
4Runner TRD Off-Road (turbo or hybrid)$47,000 (estimated)
4Runner TRD Off-Road Premium (turbo or hybrid)$50,000 (estimated)
4Runner Limited (turbo or hybrid)$53,000 (estimated)
4Runner Platinum (hybrid)$57,000 (estimated)
4Runner TRD Pro (hybrid)$60,000 (estimated)
4Runner Trailhunter (hybrid)$62,000 (estimated)
These pricing estimates include the inescapable destination fee of about $1,400.

Last edited:

GX550 Poll

• 1. tOny enD

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • 2. MJM

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • 3. SsgIncognito

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. bfloyd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5. Let’s Gooo!

Votes: 1 4.3%