Phone charging pad: the Lexus GX 550’s great tech disappointment (should be recalled)

Just my 2 cents, the wireless charger works fine for my iphone 17 pro max in a generic magsafe plastic case. It also worked fine for my iphone 13 pro max. Anything bigger than a 17 pro max probably wouldn't physically fit in the charger.

It's not a very fast charger but keeps the battery topped up nicely when I'm using waze/carplay
I have a similar experience to yours. My bride and I are still using iPhone 15. Mine is standard. Hers is the Pro version. We both have MagSafe covers on our phones. But our use of the Qi charger differs from many of the postings I’ve read here.
I’ve never looked at Qi as a charger. I use it as a maintainer. We do a lot of road trips: Vegas, North Texas, and the beach. Today I drove our GX from East Tennessee to the Gulf Coast, about 750 miles over 8 1/2 hours. I placed my fully charged iPhone on the Qi charger as I left my driveway. All day I utilized Google Maps, Waze, and Apple CarPlay (but not Apple Music because we use SeriusXM). I took several phone calls and texts along the way as well.
The phone is still above 90% charged as I type this post. Qi didn’t charge my phone. But it allowed a lot of use while keeping my battery fully charged over many hours. And in the past I have forgotten to take my phone out of my pocket on some road trips. If you use CarPlay, it will eat your battery over several hours of use without some form of charging. If you remember late in the day and find your phone at 50%, then place it on the Qi charger, you will probably finish your trip with close to that same percentage.
Do I wish its location be somewhere else in the cabin? Yes (so the center console could be larger). And I understand those who point out that new phone designs may not work on a system that probably won’t be capable of adapting to the newer configurations. I also note that Lexus seems more partnered up with Apple than they may be with other platforms. But for my current phones and usage habits, it works fine.
 
The wireless charging experience in my past 3 vehicles has left a lot to be desired. Couple that with with wireless CarPlay being a battery muncher (among other annoyances like input lag) I just don’t even try anymore and always plug into a USB port.

I unplugged the wireless charger in my GX and modeled/printed a holster that fits between the console and my seat. The USB cable is hidden in/under the center console and the end that plugs into the port is super sleek and low profile. No mounts or wireless charging pads sticking out of the 12v lighter socket or otherwise mounted and sticking up from wherever.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5512.webp
    IMG_5512.webp
    112.6 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_5513.webp
    IMG_5513.webp
    215.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_5514.webp
    IMG_5514.webp
    302.8 KB · Views: 59
The wireless charging experience in my past 3 vehicles has left a lot to be desired. Couple that with with wireless CarPlay being a battery muncher (among other annoyances like input lag) I just don’t even try anymore and always plug into a USB port.

I unplugged the wireless charger in my GX and modeled/printed a holster that fits between the console and my seat. The USB cable is hidden in/under the center console and the end that plugs into the port is super sleek and low profile. No mounts or wireless charging pads sticking out of the 12v lighter socket or otherwise mounted and sticking up from wherever.
Bro… sick. So one handed you put your phone in that slot and boom your charging?
 
Bro… sick. So one handed you put your phone in that slot and boom your charging?
Thanks! Yep you got it. There’s a 90deg USB C adapter that’s integrated and held captive in the 2-piece holster. The holster is affixed to the console with adhesive-backed Velcro. Instantly starts charging and CarPlay takes over a second later.

Here’s a pic of the holster with some updates and you can see the USB connector in the bottom.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5550.webp
    IMG_5550.webp
    154 KB · Views: 40
Thanks! Yep you got it. There’s a 90deg USB C adapter that’s integrated and held captive in the 2-piece holster. The holster is affixed to the console with adhesive-backed Velcro. Instantly starts charging and CarPlay takes over a second later.

Here’s a pic of the holster with some updates and you can see the USB connector in the bottom.
I like it. Willing to try that..if you begin selling them.

I have my wi-fi turned off on my iPhone, and only use the cable connection for Apple CarPlay. I get constant notifications to “turn wi-fi” on; but can live with that. Currently using Spotify, and it seems louder and more clarity this way after several back-n-forth comparisons. Of course that’s hardly proof of anything.
This is on my ‘24 Overtrail with standard stereo.

Thank you for the post and a nice idea.
 
I agree with you, but I'd rather just have the option to remove the qi charger and revert it back to a storage cubby. Or at least to have the option to disable the qi charger from inside the settings. I'd love to store my wallet in that location, but I'm worried about the qi charger potentially damaging my credit cards.

Non-magsafe & non-qi2 chargers have been tough to manufacture for all eternity and I wish manufacturers would stop. I'm not sure I've met anybody who actually uses them.
The charger does not turn on until it achieves a "handshake" with a compatible device. Otherwise there is no current in the tray.

Works fine with my iPhone 15 Pro in a protective case, but flat charging overall is not that effective. In most vehicles, there are complaints that wireless charging heats the phone but dues not charge it. At least this one maintains or slowly increases charge during use (navigation).

Not the greatest technology ever, but this Lexus version is better than most. Certainly not something defective or subject to recall. Just plug it in if you don't like it.
 
I like it. Willing to try that..if you begin selling them.

I have my wi-fi turned off on my iPhone, and only use the cable connection for Apple CarPlay. I get constant notifications to “turn wi-fi” on; but can live with that. Currently using Spotify, and it seems louder and more clarity this way after several back-n-forth comparisons. Of course that’s hardly proof of anything.
This is on my ‘24 Overtrail with standard stereo.

Thank you for the post and a nice idea.
Thanks. Unfortunately this design probably wouldn't work with anything besides an iphone 17 pro with no case. In the off chance that's what you got I'm happy to print one for you.

Coming up with a universal holster that isn't "janky" would be a challenge I think. If anyone wants to try modifying this to fit their own phone I can provide the models in STP or other formats. Just let me know.
 
I just installed this one today. Driven Obejects MagSafe Charging Mount. I haven't had a huge test on it, but because it uses the Apple MagSafe charger (you provide) and the Anker 323 52w car charger (you provide) it has the ability to charge the phone through the MagSafe charger up to 35w. I have a Pixel 11 Pro XL and the phone adjusts charging speed depending on the battery's current level. I took it to go get tacos and I was gone about 15 mins maybe 20 and the phone only reached 11.5 watts (that I saw because I was driving and only glanced at the AccuBattery app a couple times)of charge because it was already 92% but it actually charged the phone to 96% while I was using Android auto. I had been using the Fuel and Fire MagSafe charger, and it was good, but actually charging relatively quickly was something new. Here are some of my pics of install with no phone. My Pixel 11 Pro XL with the Dbrand Ghost 2.0 case fits great on the charger.
 

Attachments

  • 1272.webp
    1272.webp
    114.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 1273.webp
    1273.webp
    118 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

GX550 Poll

  • Yes, I can pick up in Los Angeles (Burbank area)

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Yes, but I need it shipped.

    Votes: 10 58.8%
Back
Top Bottom