The Quintessential Anzo Borrego “Guys Getaway”: GX’s, Gastronomy and Great Accommodations (1 Viewer)

Emergencymed

Well-known member
🏆 GX of the Month
Joined
Mar 16, 2026
Messages
513
Media
275
Reaction score
535
Location
San Luis Obispo
IMG_5789.webp


With many of the members of our forum, there is a common complaint: “I’d love to get outdoors more with my GX, but my spouse isn’t a fan of camping and not having her own bathroom.”

In my family, I’m that spouse LOL. Not to say I’m a slave to creature comforts, nor that I don’t relish being cozily tucked way under a down comforter up in the Alucab RTT on my son’s 2001 Landcruiser…. but at my age, 57, when I’m on holiday, I volitionally “enjoy” having access to a clean bathroom and a well appointed kitchen.

This philosophy extends to extending a little extra effort to elevate the “en plein air” eating experience whenever possible. Why not make a meal stop, “something SPECTACULAR”

IMG_6126.webp


This short but exciting trip to Anzo Borrego, was a testament to what can be accomplished “relatively locally” (in Southern California), with little fore-planning, within two days, and something for which the “persnickety partner” may be not just amenable but downright delighted!

This trip: no spouse (she’s is attending a Pediatric conference in San Diego).. but in her place, over the past two days, has been a great collective of 3 dear friends (all UCLA alums), and a last minute guest from the forum JT (aka “Incognito 550”).

IMG_6133.webp


ACCOMMODATION:

My go to for accommodation, when I want to create a “dining experience” for friends or family is picking a solid “affordable Airbnb” at a convenient location.

IMG_5911.webp


I thankfully came across Sierra Jean - a unique designer home tucked away in the hills of Julian, California. Julian was the perfect staging spot for a 1/2 day or day trip to explore trails in Anzo Borrego. I had never heard of the town of Julian., but as it turns out they are known for their apple pies, which are “next level.”

IMG_5844.webp


The simple pleasant design of this well equipped home was perfect. Two luxurious king sized beds, and a double bunk bed, and 2 bathrooms, made it ideal for a family, two couples, or in our case: a small cadre of friends.

IMG_5912.webp


A nice bonus was that we were able to squeeze two GX’s and a Rivian onto the drive (parked in a tandem arrangement.)

IMG_5917.webp


Apart from the tasteful appointments and big sky views including a designer kitchen, the perfect grand room to relax and watch a movie, an outdoor soaking tub, and patio, the place had everything we needed for a great “guys getaway.”

IMG_5849.webp


For anyone interested see the attached AirBNB link, or DM me and I will connect you with Alyssa, the owner, who was super helpful and a “gracious host.” Also mention the Lexus GX forum and she will give you 10% off. 👍🏽

Home in Julian · ★4.97 · 3 bedrooms · 4 beds · 2 baths

Stay tuned - “much much more to follow about this short but “EPIC” getaway.”


IMG_5800.webp
 
Last edited:
IMG_5914.webp


Sunrise this morning (10/2/2026) from the great room of “Sierra Jean” was glorious and the inspiration behind this morning’s breakfast creation...

IMG_5929.webp


Cardamom “Sunrise” French Toast with Local Julian Peaches 🍑

Will follow this post with details of yesterday’s journey, which was a really fun getaway with time enough to do everything on the schedule within a single day.

Yellowlab queried the ideal number of days to make this trip? I would say at minimum two, perhaps ideally three, and if possible on weekdays, when you have the trails to yourselves.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

GX550 Poll

  • Yes, I can pick up in Los Angeles (Burbank area)

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Yes, but I need it shipped.

    Votes: 10 58.8%
Back
Top Bottom