My GX550 impressions

jjtoyz

Apr 24, 2024
WA
For what it’s worth, I don’t own one yet, but I’ve done a lot of looking. Please excuse my verbal vomit. I figure some of my observations may be useful to others.
Just recently recently purchased our first Lexus, my wife’s 2024 RX 500 H. Overall very impressed with the car, but I’ve noticed some of the things we don’t like carryover to the GX.
The off-road aspects of the GX are very appealing and thus I’m looking at one for myself. Still trying to decide whether I need all of the features of the overtrail versus the luxury. I’m leaning toward the full off-road capabilities of the overtrail +
I’ve driven a premium+ and sat in both luxury+ and overtrail+.

My impressions:
*I really think this is about the most capable luxury off-road production 4 x 4 I’ve ever seen. A lot of great off-road features.
*Power was really good. Acceleration was. better than expected. I’m coming from a 420 hp V8 and I was impressed.
*Handling was what I expected from a midsize Lexus SUV, smooth and planted.
*Still getting used to the look, but I think overall I like it.
*Surprisingly. Visually. I think I like the “look“ of the 18 inch rim and semi off-road tire as opposed to the 22 inch rim. It just fits the overall look better.
*As in my wife’s 500H, the Mark Levinson stereo system is embarrassingly bad. Tinny, hollow sound from Mark Levinson is just embarrassing. I even confirmed this in an LX.
*Like others have expressed, the lack of rearview mirror/camera is disappointing.
*I’m OK with the lack of third row seating in the overtrail. however, the whole baggage area seems to slope toward the front of the car, especially so in the last 6 to 8 inches as it dips towards the second row seats. I can see a lot of stuff rolling forward just out of reach.
*Again, as with my wife’s 500 H the lack of ability to unlock a passenger door from the drivers door is disappointing. There is the option to open all doors at once but in general, I think that’s a poor idea.
*Additionally, no autolock feature seems like an oversight, as cars half the price have this feature.
*Overall, I think the most disappointing thing is the lack of much “ luxury” in the cabin. Not at all impressed with the vegan appointments, especially the lack of real wood. It’s an awful lot like a Toyota Tacoma if I wanted to Toyota, I’d buy a Toyota.
I think I need to digest all of this for a bit.
Ultimately, my buying decision will happen after the release of the hybrid GX 550. If they indeed use the V6 and are able to get 22 MPG or better without making the power anemic it will give me something to seriously consider.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and initial impressions. I'm curious to hear the Mark Levinson stereo system in the new GX, and I hope it's better than the experience you have had with it in other vehicles.

For what it’s worth, I don’t own one yet, but I’ve done a lot of looking. Please excuse my verbal vomit. I figure some of my observations may be useful to others.
Just recently recently purchased our first Lexus, my wife’s 2024 RX 500 H. Overall very impressed with the car, but I’ve noticed some of the things we don’t like carryover to the GX.
The off-road aspects of the GX are very appealing and thus I’m looking at one for myself. Still trying to decide whether I need all of the features of the overtrail versus the luxury. I’m leaning toward the full off-road capabilities of the overtrail +

My impressions:
*I really think this is about the most capable luxury off-road production 4 x 4 I’ve ever seen. A lot of great off-road features.
*Power was really good. Acceleration was. better than expected. I’m coming from a 420 hp V8 and I was impressed.
*Surprisingly. Visually. I think I like the “look“ of the 18 inch rim and semi off-road tire as opposed to the 22 inch rim. It just fits the overall look better.
*As in my wife’s 500H, the Mark Levinson stereo system is embarrassingly bad. Tinny, hollow sound from Mark Levinson is just embarrassing. I even confirmed this in an LX.
*Like others have expressed, the lack of rearview mirror/camera is disappointing.
*I’m OK with the lack of third row seating in the overtrail. however, the whole baggage area seems to slope toward the front of the car, especially so in the last 6 to 8 inches as it dips towards the second row seats. I can see a lot of stuff rolling forward just out of reach.
*Again, as with my wife’s 500 H the lack of ability to unlock a passenger door from the drivers door is disappointing. There is the option to open all doors at once but in general, I think that’s a poor idea.
*Additionally, no autolock feature seems like an oversight, as cars half the price have this feature.
*Overall, I think the most disappointing thing is the lack of much “ luxury” in the cabin. Not at all impressed with the vegan appointments, especially the lack of real wood. It’s an awful lot like a Toyota Tacoma if I wanted to Toyota, I’d buy a Toyota.
Ultimately, my buying decision will happen after the release of the hybrid GX 550. If they indeed use the V6 and are able to get 22 MPG or better without making the power anemic it will give me something to seriously consider.
In my opinion, each car is made with specific leads and what the car design to do. The only thing I would look for in the GX overture would be captains chairs because if you’re going off Roading, you want a little more room to carry that you would need for a hybrid, you are in off-road mode you have two things to worry about the battery and gas. If you’re off the grid you only really wanna worry about one thing.

In my opinion, each car is made with specific leads and what the car design to do. The only thing I would look for in the GX overture would be captains chairs because if you’re going off Roading, you want a little more room to carry that you would need for a hybrid, you are in off-road mode you have two things to worry about the battery and gas. If you’re off the grid you only really wanna worry about one thing.
Sorry for some of the words my communication skills suck

500 H the lack of ability to unlock a passenger door from the drivers door is disappointing. There is the option to open all doors at once but in general, I think that’s a poor idea.

Enlighten us which car on market you can just unlock the passenger door from the driver door?

But indeed the quality deteriorate dramatically towards rear rows.

Enlighten us which car on market you can just unlock the passenger door from the driver door?

But indeed the quality deteriorate dramatically towards rear rows.
Chevy, Kia, Mazda all have the ability to open passenger doors with a 2nd touch

By no rear view mirror/camera does this mean there is no backup camera? If so, YIKES!😱

I’m waiting on on Overtrail, and without a backup camera I’m almost thinking this would be a game changer for me.

Just bought mine—there is a backup camera— in fact, when I back up there is a 360 degree camera view. Am certain it can be activated when driving— have not tried that function. Coming from a 4Runner sound system (albeit 2014) the ML system is pretty awesome but I am not a sound expert so reasonable minds can differ

Just bought mine—there is a backup camera— in fact, when I back up there is a 360 degree camera view. Am certain it can be activated when driving— have not tried that function. Coming from a 4Runner sound system (albeit 2014) the ML system is pretty awesome but I am not a sound expert so reasonable minds can differ

Congrats! I'll be coming from a 2014 4runner as well, so glad to here the sound system and camera are an improvement!

Congratulations

My impressions:
I will never understand the fixation on the lack of wood inside a car. Any kind of wood inside is seriously outdated.

Humans have always been fixated on wood species and its implementation in daily life. Wood trims used to be a Lexus signature, so I can empathize the frustration of not seeing that on the new GX. But after sitting in one, I’m glad there is no wood. It would have definitely hindered the design language. I can agree that the steering wheel is a little lack luster, more of a parts bin feel than something unique and special to the GX. I suppose you can always go to the aftermarket for a wood trim or bigger wheel.

My impressions:
I have owned my GX 550 for 2 weeks. My experience and opinions:
-my hearing is not as good as it use to be but the MK is OK but so is the standard
-the 20 wheels are lost on the truck and are ugly
- the tech is amazing
-power is awesome
-mpg is as billed, actually a little better
-seats are awesome with massage on even better

Just my 2CW.

Back