Brake Calipers

Rpa11

Feb 25, 2024
Putnam, NY
Hopefully, I’ll be getting my Nori Green OT+ in late June. Even though I like the wheels that come with it, I’ve been looking at possibly upgrading. It occurred to me, that I might also want to powder coat or paint the brake calipers.
Assuming that the wheels I get will be black (not sure on style yet), looking for opinions on color choice. As a follow up question, does anyone know if this could be some kind of warranty issue? A mechanic friend of mine thought it could be, but I don’t see it.

Last edited:
I thought they could only deny warranty if it can be proven the failure was caused by modifications. So for wheels/tires say they couldn’t deny an engine or computer claim. But potentially could if something broke on the suspension say.

Not sure what your dealer is like to deal with. But these vehicles invite far more modification right out of the showroom than any Lexus before which dealers should welcome since it could mea more pars & service work with the sale.

Having said that I’m usually the guy to leave everything stock so not one to give opinions on color choice.

I thought they could only deny warranty if it can be proven the failure was caused by modifications. So for wheels/tires say they couldn’t deny an engine or computer claim. But potentially could if something broke on the suspension say.

Not sure what your dealer is like to deal with. But these vehicles invite far more modification right out of the showroom than any Lexus before which dealers should welcome since it could mea more pars & service work with the sale.

Having said that I’m usually the guy to leave everything stock so not one to give opinions on color choice.
I’m not gonna go crazy with mods, but he had me thinking about the warranty. Such a simple mod and it won’t affect performance so. I’m just gonna do it. Now to figure out what I want color wise with the Nori. But have to get the thing first…. Thanks for the reply.

Reactions: MJE
Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is what he is referencing. I have never heard of painting a part affecting the warranty except for Tesla (paint thickness over sensors have to be done to spec). The only issue you might run into is if you took them off to paint them and caused an issue during reassembly.

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is what he is referencing. I have never heard of painting a part affecting the warranty except for Tesla (paint thickness over sensors have to be done to spec). The only issue you might run into is if you took them off to paint them and caused an issue during reassembly.
Yeah, maybe my guy was referring to something like that. I’m not sure the process with the calipers being painted or powder coated, but I assume they would have to be removed. Good information! Thank you for the reply!

Yeah, maybe my guy was referring to something like that. I’m not sure the process with the calipers being painted or powder coated, but I assume they would have to be removed. Good information! Thank you for the reply!
I have done caliper refinishing before. He will take them off, remove the seals and pistons. Mask off the holes/fittings. Then most likely sand/media blast and powdercoat. Finally reassemble. This gets a nice durable and even finish like from the factory.

Though you can also just mask and paint with etching primer and high temp paint for a quick solution, or do oven-bake spray paint at home. If your guy is doing powder coat sound like he is doing it the right way and as long as he is careful you should be fine. Plus if the is ever a warranty issue you only might have hurt the warranty on the brake, not the entire driveline. Good luck and post pics when you do it!

I'm leaning to powder coating the way you described. If it would void the brake warranty, I can live with that. Have to get the truck first but I'll post pics when I do it. Due in late June. OT+ / Nori. Thanks for the response!

GX550 Poll

• 1. tOny enD

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • 2. MJM

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • 3. SsgIncognito

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. bfloyd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5. Let’s Gooo!

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • 6. Widdlewadder510