GX550 Overtrail Tires

supersix

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 12, 2023
gx550-overtrail-tire-specs.jpg

I'm glad to see Lexus equip the overtrail models with a good versatile tire. They will come with Toyo Open Country A/T III 265/70r18 tires.

Here are some additional specs from Toyo:
Diameter : 32.6"
Width : 10.7"
Weight: 51 Pounds
Tread Depth: 16.4
Revs/Mile : 636

(From TireSize)
Sidewall : 7.3"
Circum. : 102.4"

My thoughts on these tires are: I definitely want them but my ideal is to purchase Michelin Defenders (Road Tire that I prefer.) and keep the Toyo's for winter driving or trails. I will use the Michelin's to help with the gas mileage (most of my driving is on the road) and to save the Toyo's for when needed. I am on my third third set of Michelin defender and average almost 95K miles on them. Hopefully it will be inexpensive to have them changed back and forth at my local independent tire shop. Just my two-cents worth. Gunner

If I switched the tires from the Toyo Open Country A/T III 265/70r18 to the Michelin Defender, same size, the weight will drop a little over 10 lbs. per tire. This should help with the mpg. (My current 2010-4Runner dives and handles so well with the Michelin tires too.)

If I switched the tires from the Toyo Open Country A/T III 265/70r18 to the Michelin Defender, same size, the weight will drop a little over 10 lbs. per tire. This should help with the mpg. (My current 2010-4Runner dives and handles so well with the Michelin tires too.)

I have family members that swear by that tire but I have yet to try them. I'm currently running BFG Trail Terrain tires on our 4runner and they have been just OK. Traction in the rain isn't that great and they have always had a slight vibration between 50-55.

Last edited by a moderator:
does the Overtrail look to be able to fit KO2s? I tested a (used) Bronco Badlands that must have had them as an after-market purchase. Whatever, they looked and drove awesome. What's the compare of the factory Toyo's to KO2s?

I just had a set of new KO2s installed on my truck a few months ago. They are a great tire! BFG also has the updated KO3 available in 2 sizes and more sizes should be released next year. I think the new tire will handle better in the rain, which has been a complaint on the KO2. (Especially on trucks where the back end is light)

From what I've read those Toyo's are not a good/ great snow tire. Doesn't seem to have the 3 peak rating. But I have no first hand experience, but have read a few forum reports. Much better reviews for the KO2's. I have had good experiences with Duratracs.

From what I've read those Toyo's are not a good/ great snow tire. Doesn't seem to have the 3 peak rating. But I have no first hand experience, but have read a few forum reports. Much better reviews for the KO2's. I have had good experiences with Duratracs.
The Toyo Open Country A/T III does have the 3-Peak snow rating and as far as I can tell the tires are more than adequate in snowy conditions.

Hi, new member here with my first post. I am researching the GX 550 and ran across this thread…. A Load E tire is way too stiff and HEAVY for this truck!!! If you zoom way in on the first pic, you will see that it is Load D (8 ply), max load 2750 pounds, max air pressure 51 psi. IMHO this is a perfect choice, but I can’t find it in the Toyo website. It may be a “dealer only” item, which is not great. There not that many choices for a Load D AT tire in this size. This tire probably weighs around 42 to 45 pounds.

I am running Load E Cooper Discoverer AT3 All Terrains in this same size on my 2013 Land Cruiser 200 (and also ran similar ones on a 1996 LX450). I installed them on the 200 only because I was towing a 6000 pound trailer. They greatly stabilize the ride when towing and run cooler, but the 10 ply sidewalls destroy the ride comfort at all other times, even when running the normal 42 psi. They also destroy the fuel economy…

This Toyo tire is rated 5 stars for winter traction, that is laughable. There are hardly any sipes and the tread compound of a 50,000 mile tire is way too hard for cold temperatures. It does look great and should be a good three season tire, unless you live in the South.

John Davies
Spokane WA

IMG_5325.jpeg

IMG_5326.jpeg

IMG_5324.jpeg

IMG_5321.png

Last edited:
Hi, new member here with my first post. I am researching the GX 550 and ran across this thread…. A Load E tire is way too stiff and HEAVY for this truck!!! If you zoom way in on the first pic, you will see that it is Load D (8 ply), max load 2750 pounds, max air pressure 51 psi. IMHO this is a perfect choice, but I can’t find it in the Toyo website. It may be a “dealer only” item, which is not great. There not that many choices for a Load D AT tire in this size. This tire probably weighs around 42 to 45 pounds.

I am running Load E Cooper Discoverer AT3 All Terrains in this same size on my 2013 Land Cruiser 200 (and also ran similar ones on a 1996 LX450). I installed them on the 200 only because I was towing a 6000 pound trailer. They greatly stabilize the ride when towing and run cooler, but the 10 ply sidewalls destroy the ride comfort at all other times, even when running the normal 42 psi. They also destroy the fuel economy…

This Toyo tire is rated 5 stars for winter traction, that is laughable. There are hardly any sipes and the tread compound of a 50,000 mile tire is way too hard for cold temperatures. It does look great and should be a good three season tire, unless you live in the South.

John Davies
Spokane WA

View attachment 247

View attachment 246
View attachment 248

View attachment 249
I believe the Toyo that comes with the Overtrail is an OEM and not listed elsewhere. I also think its not a true 8 ply, might be a 4 ply or something. I've seen coverage explaining the on road reasoning for this OEM route; i.e. quieter noise, comfort etc.

I believe the Toyo that comes with the Overtrail is an OEM and not listed elsewhere. I also think its not a true 8 ply, might be a 4 ply or something. I've seen coverage explaining the on road reasoning for this OEM route; i.e. quieter noise, comfort etc.

I saw the tires in person, it's your typical standard 4-ply P-rated tires.

Tbh I’m going to run the 4ply even when off roading lol. If I really needed an 8 ply I shouldn’t be wheeling that much in a new truck haha 😂

I might run into an issue when swapping the oem wheel to a TE37 wheel though. Rays only makes a 18x8. The oem wheel is 17x7.5. I don’t think half an inch would stretch it, but food for thought

GX550 Poll

• 1. tOny enD

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • 2. MJM

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • 3. SsgIncognito

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. bfloyd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5. Let’s Gooo!

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • 6. Widdlewadder510