GX550 transmission already a bit clunky?

Bmose

May 18, 2024
PA
I'm about 850 miles into my Lexus GX550 journey and every morning when I leave my house I have a hard shift from 1st to 2nd gear, and a few times throughout the rest of my drive. It also downshifts quite aggressively when coasting and jerks the vehicle. Not what I expected for a new luxury SUV. I've read that this is normal in some IS powertrains and was wondering if that's just how Lexus is or if I should get it looked into. Otherwise the GX is wonderful. I'm just surprised.

I'm about 850 miles into my Lexus GX550 journey and every morning when I leave my house I have a hard shift from 1st to 2nd gear, and a few times throughout the rest of my drive. It also downshifts quite aggressively when coasting and jerks the vehicle. Not what I expected for a new luxury SUV. I've read that this is normal in some IS powertrains and was wondering if that's just how Lexus is or if I should get it looked into. Otherwise the GX is wonderful. I'm just surprised.
Always be on the safe side get it checked

After 1,140 miles, mine does not do that at all. Also no hood shake or vibration and I think sound attenuation is great— love my Overtrail + !!!That’s gr
After 1,140 miles, mine does not do that at all. Also no hood shake or vibration and I think sound attenuation is great— love my Overtrail + !!!
thats great news! I’m never that lucky 🍀

My wife had a similar issue in her Mercedes and it was due to the adaptive transmission “learning” a bad shifting pattern. A quick google seems to show Lexus uses something similar. Bring it by the dealer, they can do a software reset and that might fix it.

My wife had a similar issue in her Mercedes and it was due to the adaptive transmission “learning” a bad shifting pattern. A quick google seems to show Lexus uses something similar. Bring it by the dealer, they can do a software reset and that might fix it.
Will definitely be doing that! Thanks for the suggestion!

I noticed a hard shift from 1st to 2nd the 2nd day after delivery, since then the transmission has been surprisingly smooth. When I put the driving mode in sport the transmission has performed just fine. You should expect the same performance, your dealer should be able to solve the issue.
Good luck!

So far my tran. is smooth but there is a downshift that almost feels like braking but my experience is favorable.

So far my tran. is smooth but there is a downshift that almost feels like braking but my experience is favorable.
It’s ten speed manners. If you never had a ten speed it might be a little jarring. The tune on these trans can’t always predict every scenario, no matter how good their algorithms are. You will evidently experience some sort of gear hunting or judder from time to time.

GX550 Poll

• 1. tOny enD

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • 2. MJM

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • 3. SsgIncognito

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. bfloyd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5. Let’s Gooo!

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • 6. Widdlewadder510