GX550 vs 2024 Sequoia

Tomichi1

Apr 8, 2024
Colorado
I would love to hear people’s opinions on the GX550 vs the 2024 Toyota Sequoia. I’m quite impressed by the amount of power they’re getting out of the Sequoia and that hybrid engine but cargo capacity and the inability of the third row to fold flat seems like a complete mess. I’m leaning much more towards the GX but would love to get other’s thoughts.

Thanks!

I'm in the same boat as you are. I'm going to wait until I can see, and probably test drive a 550 before I make a decision. Yes I know that all the dealers have waiting list and everyone coming off the boat for the next 6 or 9 or 12 months are sold. I am in no hurry to pay for something that I can not test drive and have to pay a 10 or 20K markup.

I'm in the same boat as you are. I'm going to wait until I can see, and probably test drive a 550 before I make a decision. Yes I know that all the dealers have waiting list and everyone coming off the boat for the next 6 or 9 or 12 months are sold. I am in no hurry to pay for something that I can not test drive and have to pay a 10 or 20K markup.
Yep— I’m told it could be up to a year. I too can wait, but that won’t stop me from torturing myself with other options and continuously changing my mind. 🤣

I was told our dealership in Oklahoma City was getting a Demo GX mid-May to look at and test drive. We are on the list and missed when it was at the dealership a few months ago. Looking forward to checking it out.

The Sequoia's cargo area is the killer for me. It has a strange layout and is very small. Especially with the third-row seats up.
+1.

I would not consider a Sequoia until they make an extended wheel base version to compete with the Expedition Max/Suburban/Yukon XL.

I have a '23 Sequoia TRD Pro, which you can see on Instagram @TRD_Sequoia. I'm probably going to sell in next month because I have a GX that should be here in June.

I have a '23 Sequoia TRD Pro, which you can see on Instagram @TRD_Sequoia. I'm probably going to sell in next month because I have a GX that should be here in June.
Does the new GX fit you better or is there something specific about the Sequoia that you didn't like?

Does the new GX fit you better or is there something specific about the Sequoia that you didn't like?
Good Question! The Sequoia has been absolutely incredible, seriously! I use the hell out of it and it's actually incredibly capable, esp for such a large vehicle. I came from a 4Runner and wanted more power, better interior, and a bit more size. The Sequoia checks all those boxes, but it's just a little too big for me. It's just the wife and I + our 2 dogs, so it's not like I need that much space. The GX is a bit smaller, more capable, and has a much more refined interior. I love the ruggedness and utility of the GX, but I also really appreciate the the finer things/luxury...so that's my main driver for the change. Hope I don't regret it!

The Sequoia's cargo area is the killer for me. It has a strange layout and is very small. Especially with the third-row seats up.
I really haven't had any issues with it. If I had a large family, then maybe? But I bought mine for more gear space, which it has a TON of! The modular tray has come in pretty handy quite a few times, depending on my storage needs. If I were keeping it long-term, then I'd install Front Runner's 3rd row seat delete kit.

I really haven't had any issues with it. If I had a large family, then maybe? But I bought mine for more gear space, which it has a TON of! The modular tray has come in pretty handy quite a few times, depending on my storage needs. If I were keeping it long-term, then I'd install Front Runner's 3rd row seat delete kit.
Sorry, what is “Front Runner’s 3rd row seat delete kit” (do you mean 4-Runner)? Can the third row be removed without tearing the whole thing up ?

Gx is the way to go, the hybrid stuff is just not me...provides no benefit. the seating as well is a disaster...poorly designed. Overall, I'll wait for a GX..period
👍👍👍👍I owned two sequoia, but I wouldn’t buy a hybrid less space. I am waiting for my trail plus still cruising Pacific.

Historically the sequoia has been the on road family suv of choice. It was never able to apex the GX or land cruisers of the time.

Kind of an off topic comment but I wished Lexus would have brought their minivans to the us market. I’ve been wishing that for a long time. I believe if there were such an offering more people wouldn’t need to cross shoot between a sequoia and a GX. I’m failing to elaborate but I’m sure someone here can agree with me

GX550 Poll

• 1. tOny enD

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • 2. MJM

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • 3. SsgIncognito

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. bfloyd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5. Let’s Gooo!

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • 6. Widdlewadder510