GX550h hybrid trunk space is mind boggling

supermark

Dec 21, 2023
CA
Toyota is weird, first the Sequoia now the GX550h. Can't they just do something better than this..
Even though I never considered the hybrid GX but this half ass job still kinda offended me...

WechatIMG74.jpeg
WechatIMG75.jpeg

WechatIMG76.jpeg
IMG_2810.jpeg

Attachments

• WechatIMG74.jpeg
    WechatIMG74.jpeg
    200.1 KB · Views: 751
Last edited:
Good find! I'm a little disappointed, as I was hoping for the V-6 hybrid powertrain. Looks like the same engine as the Land Cruiser.

gearjunkie-landcruiser-engine-photo-2024.jpg

It looks like they took a page from the Sequia. There is that weird hump, they should have made the back completely flat instead of a weird hump and those little unusable areas around the battery.

Battery pack under the floor. That is why I didn't buy a Sequoia. What is interesting is the third row will make that hump even higher when the seats are folded. Much less leg room also. Hello shelf system! There must be another way...

Battery pack under the floor. That is why I didn't buy a Sequoia. What is interesting is the third row will make that hump even higher when the seats are folded. Much less leg room also. Hello shelf system! There must be another way...

I doubt we'll see any third row option in the Hybrid models.

That is one ugly and lazy design of the battery pack. Engineers should've flattened or level out the hump completely but no leave it half ass.

Lack of Cargo Space I wonder if there’s supposed to be some sort of tray to take up that space? That’s what it looks like in the Land Cruiser. Perhaps, or probably, it’s an extra cost accessory.

I'm also hoping the hybrid is a TT 6 cyl like the Sequia. But they really need to make the floor flat so it's usable. Not a bunch of weird levels that leave wasted space.

I currently drive a Porsche Cayenne S E-Hybrid and I have to say they did a great job packaging it up in the rear cargo area. You can't even tell there's a battery back there. But because they lowered the battery, they are unable to fit a hitch to the frame. Not a biggie as 99% of people would never tow with a Cayenne, but it does limit bike rack options.

As good as the porsche is, I probably wouldn't buy a hybrid again. I'm looking forward to a gas only powertrain.

It seems unfinished. Surely, that can't be the final production form?!

I currently drive a Porsche Cayenne S E-Hybrid and I have to say they did a great job packaging it up in the rear cargo area. You can't even tell there's a battery back there. But because they lowered the battery, they are unable to fit a hitch to the frame. Not a biggie as 99% of people would never tow with a Cayenne, but it does limit bike rack options.

As good as the porsche is, I probably wouldn't buy a hybrid again. I'm looking forward to a gas only powertrain.
May I ask what you found to be the disadvantages of a hybrid drivetrain? I keep looking at hybrid & thinking it’s the best of all worlds. Especially since I have zero plans to go full electric.

May I ask what you found to be the disadvantages of a hybrid drivetrain? I keep looking at hybrid & thinking it’s the best of all worlds. Especially since I have zero plans to go full electric.
I’m really impressed with the technology. However, here are some negatives.
The Porsche Cayenne S E-Hybrid is a plug in hybrid. So it can go ~20 miles or so just on the battery.
The problem is by default this is how it wants to operate. So when you turn the key to fire it up, nothing happens. The dash kicks on, so you know it’s “on” but there is no way to turn on the gas motor.
The battery power operation is so weak. You can gradually acceleration to 60+ mph but if you need to get on an on-ramp and quickly accelerate, only then will the gas motor kick on (cold!). So now you’re over revving a cold engine. Not great in Colorado winters.
If you know you’re going to need the hp of the gas motor before hand you can press the accelerator petal to kick on the gas motor, but it will turn off if you’re not constantly on the throttle.
You can press the Sport button to force the gas motor to turn on sooner, but it still wants to run on electricity.

In reality, I’m getting around 10-12 miles of pure electricity. Then it dies and now you’re lugging around a heavy, dead battery in the trunk.

The positives is the electric motor does assist in acceleration (even when it says it’s empty). So you sort of have the feeling of instant torque. The Cayenne is fast.

My wife also drives a Cayenne but hers is non-hybrid.
You turn the key and instantly the sound of a burbling engine kicks on. Power delivery is smooth and consistent.

I would prefer the Porsche system to be a Hybrid assist vehicle and not have an “electric” mode. If a little battery can be undetected and help acceleration, I’m all for that.

Back