Howdy from Texas, Nori Green Lux+ order hopefully comes soon before a big summer off-road trip

95YotaPickup

Apr 13, 2024
Houston
Sup guys new here, but not new to Toyotas or off-roading, here to help where I can and ask a bunch of questions, ordered Nori Green lux+ w/ brown interior and captain chairs w/ third row. Hoping to get it in time before a big anual off-road trip in Nuevo León Mexico. I’m also trying to see what third party wheels are out there that go well with this Lexus GX550 because the stock 22’s look a little silly to me. Cheers

Sup guys new here, but not new to Toyotas or off-roading, here to help where I can and ask a bunch of questions, ordered Nori Green lux+ w/ brown interior and captain chairs w/ third row. Hoping to get it in time before a big anual off-road trip in Nuevo León Mexico. I’m also trying to see what third party wheels are out there that go well with this Lexus GX550 because the stock 22’s look a little silly to me. Cheers
Welcome to the forum! I assume you wanted the third-row seating more than the off-road-friendly wheels, tires, and features that come standard with the Overtrail trim. Are you planning on using the third-row seating during your Mexico trip, and if so, are you going to go with roof-top storage or a hitch carrier for all your gear?

Congrats on the order and welcome! Let us know what route you get with aftermarket wheels, that will be the first thing I swap out as well. I'm planning on going with 18s.

Welcome to the forum! I assume you wanted the third-row seating more than the off-road-friendly wheels, tires, and features that come standard with the Overtrail trim. Are you planning on using the third-row seating during your Mexico trip, and if so, are you going to go with roof-top storage or a hitch carrier for all your gear?
Yeah thought about it for a long time and really wanted the bigger “sunroof” and the captain seats, bench seat is cool but that middle floor area hump makes the middle part pretty useless anyways.
I didn’t care much for crawl control or a rear locker that’s only going to let you go through a very small percentage of extra trail and you gotta ask your self are you really gonna be going through that? Center locking diff will lock your front and rear drive shafts together (4x4) and it already has 4Lo. Trust me that will take you to a lot already and even through some uncomfortable sections. If you need those extra other features from Overtrail you’re probably going through places that the vehicle can’t clear anyways with that approach and departure angle these things actually have and likely scratching it and dinging it up. Doesn’t matter how many lights, gas tanks or “widdle ladders” you put on it 🤣.

Third row will probably be used just a few times a year until we start having kids but it’s one of those better to have and not need situations. (Yes more than a rear locker) Getting to the GX was a journey on its own the wife really wanted to go for a Q8 haha and I spent the last year hyping this vehicle up and she fell in love with the design as well. I been waiting for a GX redesign for 2-3 years and I said “if they ever make it more body looking it’ll be the perfect family vehicle” and I think now is the best timing for this much more versatile option compared to an oversized sedan with cool interior (Audi Q8). I will post some photos and videos here or on YouTube this summer if we get it in time and you’ll see where this luxury+ can actually take you without all the extra features.

Congrats on the order and welcome! Let us know what route you get with aftermarket wheels, that will be the first thing I swap out as well. I'm planning on going with 18s.
I am still looking I think I am going with some BFGoodrich Trail terrains for tires some Ko2’s might look too beefy on a luxury+. I just don’t know what kind of wheels nor the size yet: 18’s or 20’s . I just want be able to lower down to 25 PSI if i absolutely ever have to. Still figuring out tire ratings and long in depth reviews for them.
Looking for a happy medium between stock on road tires and all terrains with wheels that aren’t too “off-roady” looking. I just put some KM3’s on my Toyota Pickup last week and they are great off-road and do pretty ok on road so I’m trying to cover a little more of the other side of the spectrum with this one.

Yeah thought about it for a long time and really wanted the bigger “sunroof” and the captain seats, bench seat is cool but that middle floor area hump makes the middle part pretty useless anyways.
I didn’t care much for crawl control or a rear locker that’s only going to let you go through a very small percentage of extra trail and you gotta ask your self are you really gonna be going through that? Center locking diff will lock your front and rear drive shafts together (4x4) and it already has 4Lo. Trust me that will take you to a lot already and even through some uncomfortable sections. If you need those extra other features from Overtrail you’re probably going through places that the vehicle can’t clear anyways with that approach and departure angle these things actually have and likely scratching it and dinging it up. Doesn’t matter how many lights, gas tanks or “widdle ladders” you put on it 🤣.

Third row will probably be used just a few times a year until we start having kids but it’s one of those better to have and not need situations. (Yes more than a rear locker) Getting to the GX was a journey on its own the wife really wanted to go for a Q8 haha and I spent the last year hyping this vehicle up and she fell in love with the design as well. I been waiting for a GX redesign for 2-3 years and I said “if they ever make it more body looking it’ll be the perfect family vehicle” and I think now is the best timing for this much more versatile option compared to an oversized sedan with cool interior (Audi Q8). I will post some photos and videos here or on YouTube this summer if we get it in time and you’ll see where this luxury+ can actually take you without all the extra features.

My wife really wanted the Q7... Ive been trying to get her to hold off for this. We have a white premium plus being built now that i think she will like. She loves the look of it, but we had to settle for dapple grey, she wanted the saddle. We have a 2 year old and a newborn on the way. She didn't want the captains chairs for some reason. Ill probably get rid of the wheels on it eventually but no rush really, wont be off roading.

My wife really wanted the Q7... Ive been trying to get her to hold off for this. We have a white premium plus being built now that i think she will like. She loves the look of it, but we had to settle for dapple grey, she wanted the saddle. We have a 2 year old and a newborn on the way. She didn't want the captains chairs for some reason. Ill probably get rid of the wheels on it eventually but no rush really, wont be off roading.
Yeah Q7 is going to have way more space but just doesn’t look as cool as the GX, this midsize SUV isn’t a bad option for young kids and for the occasional trips you can throw in a hitch mounted basket and luggage up top of you really have to. Depending on where you live sometimes it’s better to have a slightly smaller vehicle when running around the city.

Driving to Mexico in a brand new Lexus GX is probably not the best idea. Cartels love SUVs and pickups.

Maybe think twice about it, I really don’t see it turning out well. You’ll be driving on highway 85 which is heavily patrolled by them and their paid off police. Sounds like a horrible, dumb move.

My 2 cents.

Is the third row sufficiently roomier for long distance travel. It seems your knees would reach your chest

Is the third row sufficiently roomier for long distance travel. It seems your knees would reach your chest
For kids it’s fine, Im 6’ and went back there during the houston Auto show and it’s small. That is expected since it’s a midsize SUV and
even on a Chevy Tahoe I rented in Colorado once, the third row is pretty tight back there. I’d get a TX if you’re thinking about the third row, my brother has it and it’s very spacious on the second and third row compared to GX.

For kids it’s fine, Im 6’ and went back there during the houston Auto show and it’s small. That is expected since it’s a midsize SUV and
even on a Chevy Tahoe I rented in Colorado once, the third row is pretty tight back there. I’d get a TX if you’re thinking about the third row, my brother has it and it’s very spacious on the second and third row compared to GX.
Thanks for heads up. I'm getting the Overtrail Plus since we don't need the third row

Driving to Mexico in a brand new Lexus GX is probably not the best idea. Cartels love SUVs and pickups.

Maybe think twice about it, I really don’t see it turning out well. You’ll be driving on highway 85 which is heavily patrolled by them and their paid off police. Sounds like a horrible, dumb move.

My 2 cents.
100% agree

Usually the ones that say that are the ones completely detached from reality with no experience there. Yall can stay nice and comfortable on the couch watching Fox News and to the shopping center and state parks on the weekends in yalls GX. But there is an entire world out there completely different from what you see on TV and social media.

GX550 Poll

• 1. tOny enD

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • 2. MJM

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • 3. SsgIncognito

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. bfloyd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5. Let’s Gooo!

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • 6. Widdlewadder510