I am putting GX550 purchase on hold

bluemts

Sep 5, 2023
Lacey, Washington
After researching and looking at multiple manufacturer sites, I had resolved to buy a 550GX, a new Land Cruiser, a Jeep 4XE or a Ford Bronco or a next Gen Forerunner. I finally realized I wasn't going to pay $70,000 for a jeep or a Ford Bronco. I also realized I became enamored with the hybrid gas/electric concept. The GX550 is out for now until the hybrid comes out. The Forerunner is a ways off and the Land Cruiser is not here yet. I found out I could buy a new 2023 RAV4 XLE premium hybrid for 38k out the door. I did it. I wanted out of the Ford F150. I will drive the RAV4 for a year or two and then reassess what's available. My goal is to get an off road worthy vehicle for all conditions. The RAV4 will be fun until I find that vehicle. I watch the energy flow screen like a hawk and I am running at 38MPG now. Hopefully I'll be able to get 40mpg as I experiment with driving techniques. I will watch the forum to see how everyone likes their new GX's and I'll enjoy looking at colors and features.

Attachments

• 2023 RAV4 hybrid.jpg
    2023 RAV4 hybrid.jpg
    446.2 KB · Views: 189
Looks like a nice little unit! Enjoy! I too am hoping they decide to put the hybrid in the GX for 25. I’d like a little better mileage given the long distances I’d plan to put on it. I’m not a full electric fan, but trust Toyota’s hybrid technology as they’ve been developing it for a couple decades.

Looks like a nice little unit! Enjoy! I too am hoping they decide to put the hybrid in the GX for 25. I’d like a little better mileage given the long distances I’d plan to put on it. I’m not a full electric fan, but trust Toyota’s hybrid technology as they’ve been developing it for a couple decades.
I'm enjoying driving the little hybrid.

Interesting choice. The RAV4 isn’t in the same class as the other vehicles you mentioned. If it were me, I would have sacrificed the hybrid feature before the off-road capability, and then revisited the situation in a couple of years.

Congrats on your RAV4. Everyone I know who has one loves it.

Hey BlueMtns sounds like a good strategy. when I first heard of the 550 I thought it would be hybrid like the Landcruiser. Or at least an option. Patience is a good thing and I bet you will get what you want as the the market cools a little bit. Right now the turbo sounds great for me and I will bet the resale value will be fantastic too if I want to change over to a hybrid later. Good luck and I know your RAV will be a dependable buddy on the road.

GX550 Poll

• 1. tOny enD

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • 2. MJM

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • 3. SsgIncognito

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. bfloyd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5. Let’s Gooo!

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • 6. Widdlewadder510