Intro thread - greetings from Ohio

Dudeman VonBroski

Aug 30, 2023
OH
Hi - I came across this forum when researching about the new GX 550 -

Am looking for something very reliable, that can tow boats, with off-road capability (bonus), that will last a long time and not leave me stranded on long road trips. Looks like this fits the bill. Also was considering the Land Rover Defender [I know, not reliable ;) but just so appealing as it checks every other box on my wish list].

The last few vehicles I have had for this role:
2012 Honda Ridgeline RTL (v6) --- loved this vehicle but lacked technology (like bluetooth) and was underpowered for hauling.
2018 Ford Expedition Limited Max (v6 tt) --- Had all the tech I wanted, hauled with no issues, but had consistent issues with power running boards, rear defroster and other things - Traded it in with 60k miles before it got worse.
2021 BMW X5 (v6 tt) --- enjoyed it but too small for my needs, had power to haul but felt undersized and the tongue weight really showed when a trailer was hooked up.
2022 BMW X7 M50i (v8) --- awesome vehicle, very fun to drive especially for the size, great for road trips, super quiet, every option I could ask for. Plenty of power to haul but feels a little undersized when towing and the tongue weight issue is the same as the X5 - I just feel like it won't last with what I am putting it through. Also, wife owns a 2019 X7 and in the last week has had a leaking moonroof, A/C stopped working, Headlight needs replaced (running light out) - it has about 60K miles on it - so this is factoring in to my decision also as I am fearful for the future with mine.

I am in the marine business and I tow pontoon boats regularly for work. I also take 4-5 road trips (non-towing) a year of ~8-12 hours or more to visit other marine businesses in North America - driven in to Canada twice in the last year for example. Will probably put 15-20k a year on in miles.

I haven't ever owned a Lexus - lots of people talk about the reliability, consumer reports says it is the best, etc so that is why I am here.

Seems like a friendly place with great info so happy to be here.

Hello @Dudeman VonBroski welcome to the site. I think Land Rover has fixed most of their reliability issues since they were bought out. I've owned 2 Land Rovers and neither of them had issues. I believe @Dragoon has a Defender right now as well.

With that said, I don't think you can go wrong with the Lexus. Take Toyota's reliability and add in premium service and you've got a winner.

Glad to have you aboard!

Welcome to the forum @Dudeman VonBroski đź‘‹

We have a 2023 Land Rover Defender 110 with about 9,000 miles and it's been a great vehicle so far! The fuel mileage is really good for its boxy shape and power (20 mpg in town), and it's very comfortable and quiet on the highway. I'm not sure it's a 200,000 mile vehicle, time will tell, but I don't really plan on owning it without an extended warranty or over 100,000 miles anyway.

Welcome to the forum @Dudeman VonBroski đź‘‹

We have a 2023 Land Rover Defender 110 with about 9,000 miles and it's been a great vehicle so far! The fuel mileage is really good for its boxy shape and power (20 mpg in town), and it's very comfortable and quiet on the highway. I'm not sure it's a 200,000 mile vehicle, time will tell, but I don't really plan on owning it without an extended warranty or over 100,000 miles anyway.
Good info thanks. Still considering between a 130 x-dynamic or a GX. I love the customizability of ordering the Land Rover & the utilitarian functionality. The GX I feel will be cheaper to own long term..

Welcome to the forum @Dudeman VonBroski - I've been a fan of the new Defender since it came out. Every time I've taken it for a test drive, I've been thoroughly impressed. The long term reliability was always my main concern and kept me from purchasing one. That's where I think the Lexus will shine. You would hope after a few years of this new twin turbo v6 motor/powertrain being used in the Tundra, most of the issues would be ironed out.

I am also cross shopping the gx550 with the defender and plan to tow a boat. I read in the fine print for the defender’s tow capacity, max tow capacity is only suggested with a weight distribution hitch. As you probably know, most boat trailers do not have that as standard. Not sure of LR is simply being conservative and putting out a disclaimer.

It's a good idea to keep in mind that the LR is a unibody while the Lexus is a body on frame. Both can tow a good amount, but if you tow often the frame option on the Lexus is definitely better. Also, when running a weight distribution hitch, having that load torque applied to the frame is better in the long run that putting that to the body.

It's a good idea to keep in mind that the LR is a unibody while the Lexus is a body on frame. Both can tow a good amount, but if you tow often the frame option on the Lexus is definitely better. Also, when running a weight distribution hitch, having that load torque applied to the frame is better in the long run that putting that to the body.
Great points.

GX550 Poll

• 1. tOny enD

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • 2. MJM

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • 3. SsgIncognito

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. bfloyd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5. Let’s Gooo!

Votes: 1 4.3%