Road & Track - Lexus GX550 vs. Land Rover Defender 130 vs. Mercedes-Benz G550

road-track-g550article.jpg

photo credit: DW BURNETT

Road & Track's latest comparison pitting the Lexus GX550 against the Land Rover Defender 130 and Mercedes-Benz G550 in a luxury off-road setting makes for some good reading, especially their pricing analysis. At just $71,620 as-tested, the GX550 emerges as an outstanding value proposition compared to the $95,938 Defender 130 Outbound, while the $188,650 G-Wagen exists in a totally different financial stratosphere. Remarkably, this new Lexus offers Toyota's vaunted off-road DNA wrapped in a more refined package without breaking the bank. Although lacking the G-Wagen's outright capability ratings, R&T found the GX550's trail performance impressively close while deeming it the most compelling option for future adventures, despite not having the group's most potent powertrain.

Check out the full review here: https://www.roadandtrack.com/review...d-rover-defender-130-2023-mercedes-benz-g550/

Last edited:
The Defender vs GX OT is the comparison of the year. There's going to be loads of reviews comparing these two, because they are so close in who they are marketing to, and the price points and capabilities are also close. The outlier is the G Wagon, which IMO, is what you buy if you want to discuss off road driving features and capabilities, but have zero intent on taking it off the paved roadways. I'm sure some Gs make it off road... eventually. But if you pay $150k for a brand new G Wagon, I don't think it's likely to show up at a camp ground next to a Bronco, GX OT, or Defender. The inevitable G repair bills pretty much ensure it's going to stay on the road and be driven like a RR (nice and safe).

Good read.

Though I don’t think comparing a 130 defender to these two is really apples to apples considering all they commented on was it being too long.

110 defender is the only relevant comparison.

I thought having the G550 in the mix was cool, surprised they found it more sure footed than the GX even accounting for the triple lockers.

View attachment 595

Road & Track's latest comparison pitting the Lexus GX550 against the Land Rover Defender 130 and Mercedes-Benz G550 in a luxury off-road setting makes for some good reading, especially their pricing analysis. At just $71,620 as-tested, the GX550 emerges as an outstanding value proposition compared to the $95,938 Defender 130 Outbound, while the $188,650 G-Wagen exists in a totally different financial stratosphere. Remarkably, this new Lexus offers Toyota's vaunted off-road DNA wrapped in a more refined package without breaking the bank. Although lacking the G-Wagen's outright capability ratings, R&T found the GX550's trail performance impressively close while deeming it the most compelling option for future adventures, despite not having the group's most potent powertrain.

Check out the full review here: https://www.roadandtrack.com/review...d-rover-defender-130-2023-mercedes-benz-g550/
Excellent we've got a winner for sure.

View attachment 595

If memory serves me when Toyota was selling the J200 1200 vehicles 600 white one of which I own 600 black the Gwagon was 125,000$ the reviews were J200 wasn’t worth the money wonder what they’re saying now

GX550 Poll

• 1. tOny enD

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • 2. MJM

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • 3. SsgIncognito

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. bfloyd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5. Let’s Gooo!

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • 6. Widdlewadder510