Stains on XPEL PPF (4 Viewers)

Zoom650

Active member
Joined
Apr 24, 2024
Messages
108
Media
31
Reaction score
134
Location
Macon, Georgia
What's happened: the intense heat of summer combined with bird dropping landing on the hood of my '24 OT have left a several faint stains that no amount of elbow grease is removing. Short of Clorox and ammonia, I tried every common household cleaner as well as my bucket of Chemical Guys products including spit.

Before using more extreme cleaners, I went back to the very reputable installer who gave it his best try (Nano Wash) to removes the spots. The installer said summer's heat opened the pores of the film allowing the droppings to penetrate deeper into the film. I generally wash my car once, sometimes more, a week. This summer, some of the surface temps in my backyard reached +110-115 under direct western sun with no shade.

So, short of replacing the film on the hood, I'm stuck with the stains. To hopefully prevent further stains, I'm trying one of the graphene spray coats to slick up and seal the surface, which was what the Nano Wash product the dealer used does. I also throw an old horse blanket across the hood during migration season.
 
I've had this same thing happen on my wife's white IS. Tried every cleaner available with no luck. I read on-line where someone said to use a heat gun to heat the affected area. I did this in conjunction with a microfiber towel and my standard everyday detailer, and was able to get all the stains out completely. Just be careful not to get too hot where you melt or deform the film. Didn't take a lot of heat.
 
I have a light silver BMW wrapped in xpel and it picks up splatter stains from the road in the film. Washing doesn't get them out without serious rubbing. I just don't look at them and try not to think about them lol. It's annoying but I guess it's a limitation of PPF. I did not PPF my GX and probably won't on a car that isn't a collectible.
 
hot air or steam is the is the only last way. however, go very slow with the heat build up too much will loosen/release the adhesive. also, after cleaning, ramp down the temperature also slowly back to ambient.

i am guessing your warranty should cover it. i heard 5 and 10 years on this heavily marketed brand.

good luck.

also for future reference youtube search: " ppf brand comparision real world tets "
 
Have you tried the Xpel PPF Cleaner? XPEL PPF Cleaner

When you went back to the installer, why did they not replace it under warranty after they could not remove the stain?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

GX550 Poll

  • Yes, I can pick up in Los Angeles (Burbank area)

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Yes, but I need it shipped.

    Votes: 10 58.8%
Back
Top Bottom