So as a retired person and all around gear slut I found myself focused on a building the right tool kit for the GX that would allow me to make most repairs while Overlanding without going overkill and carrying some 25 or 40 pound bag. After building that kit, it pushed me to a further question of how light build a second kit for travel to have the basics when needed.
When I was younger I spent years doing aid and mixed Alpine climbing where the approaches were often 20+ miles so the obsession became every gram counts since weight is the enemy. So I've put together a small pack of tools that with the case weighs in at 18.3oz that I feel like would cover most things (recently used to reattach trim on a rental car in the Faroe Islands). The bag is build around 711L ratchet and lollipop driver that will handle 1/4 inch sockets and bits as well as a micro bits. Klein Tools double sockets (10/12, 13/14) Knipex pliers for everything else, a single blade Swiss Army knife, small O-light, titanium pry bar, and couple of 1/4 impact bits for starting holes. Toss in a couple of cable ties and duct tape and you're set.
All fits into a Maxpedition Micro case - 3.5" x 5.5" x 1.5
I showed it to my wife (walked into that one) - and while she has always thought I've lost my mind years ago, this went to a whole new level of either intervention or she'll just ignore me in the garage.

When I was younger I spent years doing aid and mixed Alpine climbing where the approaches were often 20+ miles so the obsession became every gram counts since weight is the enemy. So I've put together a small pack of tools that with the case weighs in at 18.3oz that I feel like would cover most things (recently used to reattach trim on a rental car in the Faroe Islands). The bag is build around 711L ratchet and lollipop driver that will handle 1/4 inch sockets and bits as well as a micro bits. Klein Tools double sockets (10/12, 13/14) Knipex pliers for everything else, a single blade Swiss Army knife, small O-light, titanium pry bar, and couple of 1/4 impact bits for starting holes. Toss in a couple of cable ties and duct tape and you're set.
All fits into a Maxpedition Micro case - 3.5" x 5.5" x 1.5
I showed it to my wife (walked into that one) - and while she has always thought I've lost my mind years ago, this went to a whole new level of either intervention or she'll just ignore me in the garage.

Attachments
Last edited:







