Australian based in Sydney, Australia

markdent

Feb 21, 2024
Sydney Australia
I am an Australian based in Sydney, Australia, and had an 80 Series Landcruiser for 16 years, doing over 60,000 miles of real Aussie outback dirt touring. In 2013 I sold the 80 Series and bought a new 2013 RX350 Sports Luxury. Since then, I have been waiting for the Landcruiser 300 Series, but COVID and Toyota delays postponed my departure back into the Aussie bush.

I ordered a 300 Series GR Sport as soon as they were announced but again Toyota disappoints me and only provides a diesel version to Australia, while other right hand drive countries like South Africa, get to choose gasoline or diesel.

So, I am now forced to order a Lexus LX gasoline version, as Lexus offer it and a diesel version in Australia. It arrives and it looks like it has been thrown together, with pointless multiple ugly screens that bombard the front console, and I am in the camp that thinks the Lexus frontend even make my ugly face look OK. The safety features are not Toyota’s latest version as offered in the 2023 RX, so back to the land of RX I go, and wait 1 and ½ years for the Lexus RX500h to arrive, but mean time Lexus will bring to Australia, for the first time the GX.

Our right-hand drive English inherited diving position limits us Aussies as to what makes it to our down under roads. So sometime in late 2024, my GX550 Overtrail is supposed to arrive, albeit the final specifications unknown until June, and in Australia we will only be able to choose from 3 GX versions, not the 6 that Lexus offer else where. Now that’s discrimination, again!

I hear lots of rumours of a GX550h and again my bush departure time looks further delayed because Lexus/Toyota have not made an announcement as to the exact hybrid engine specifications for the GX550 let alone if it might even make it to our shores.The Lexus Japan website says it will be 2.4L hybrid specification and interviews with Japanese engineer during the USA launch, said they are still resolving Battery Waterproofing issues, and can't confirm hybrid engine specifications. Does anybody have an update as to the Kilowatt and Newton Metres for the hybrid engine please?

Welcome! Hopefully, Lexus will release more hybrid engine information soon because I know a lot of people are interested to know before they place their order.

I’m banking on it being very similar to the Land Cruiser if not the same. I suppose though you never know if Lexus decides to tune it vastly differently.
IMG_6193.png

Hi all, I was was told that I was the first in Australia to put a deposit on the Overtrail back in October, I’m also told the car should be here may/June and I can’t wait! Because I do a lot of driving in the outback I think this will be the perfect car for us, the only thing I’m not happy with is the 650km (estimated) range and I hope we can get an auxiliary tank for it sooner than later.

I am an Australian based in Sydney, Australia, and had an 80 Series Landcruiser for 16 years, doing over 60,000 miles of real Aussie outback dirt touring. In 2013 I sold the 80 Series and bought a new 2013 RX350 Sports Luxury. Since then, I have been waiting for the Landcruiser 300 Series, but COVID and Toyota delays postponed my departure back into the Aussie bush.

I ordered a 300 Series GR Sport as soon as they were announced but again Toyota disappoints me and only provides a diesel version to Australia, while other right hand drive countries like South Africa, get to choose gasoline or diesel.

So, I am now forced to order a Lexus LX gasoline version, as Lexus offer it and a diesel version in Australia. It arrives and it looks like it has been thrown together, with pointless multiple ugly screens that bombard the front console, and I am in the camp that thinks the Lexus frontend even make my ugly face look OK. The safety features are not Toyota’s latest version as offered in the 2023 RX, so back to the land of RX I go, and wait 1 and ½ years for the Lexus RX500h to arrive, but mean time Lexus will bring to Australia, for the first time the GX.

Our right-hand drive English inherited diving position limits us Aussies as to what makes it to our down under roads. So sometime in late 2024, my GX550 Overtrail is supposed to arrive, albeit the final specifications unknown until June, and in Australia we will only be able to choose from 3 GX versions, not the 6 that Lexus offer else where. Now that’s discrimination, again!

I hear lots of rumours of a GX550h and again my bush departure time looks further delayed because Lexus/Toyota have not made an announcement as to the exact hybrid engine specifications for the GX550 let alone if it might even make it to our shores.The Lexus Japan website says it will be 2.4L hybrid specification and interviews with Japanese engineer during the USA launch, said they are still resolving Battery Waterproofing issues, and can't confirm hybrid engine specifications. Does anybody have an update as to the Kilowatt and Newton Metres for the hybrid engine please?
Welcome! Did you ever check out the Grenadier? I would expect them to be pretty popular in the outback? The way I view Grenadier is that it's an off road SUV you can surely drive on pavement if you want to. Whereas the GX and the modern Defender are primarily tarmac, but certainly equipped for off road driving needs when you direct them so. But at the end of the day, the Grenadier can stay parked in the dirt, whereas the GX and Defender are likely sitting in a driveway, behind a garage door. I've sat in a Grenadier and you can't mistake the intent of those things - it's amazing what Ineos has done. I give them losts of credit. Although I love the outside of Grenadier, I also like my cabin comforts, so the GX/Defender is more me, but Grenadier may be more you? If you haven't seen one, there's nothing like it out there....

Curb-optional hit it on the head. I think that is a very true assessment of the three vehicles. One thing that intriges me is what Troical Snowman said about the auxiliary gas tank. Any one know where one should start looking for that extra gas tank here in USA. I would love to have that type of extended range. (ICE powered by GAS)

Welcome! Did you ever check out the Grenadier? I would expect them to be pretty popular in the outback? The way I view Grenadier is that it's an off road SUV you can surely drive on pavement if you want to. Whereas the GX and the modern Defender are primarily tarmac, but certainly equipped for off road driving needs when you direct them so. But at the end of the day, the Grenadier can stay parked in the dirt, whereas the GX and Defender are likely sitting in a driveway, behind a garage door. I've sat in a Grenadier and you can't mistake the intent of those things - it's amazing what Ineos has done. I give them losts of credit. Although I love the outside of Grenadier, I also like my cabin comforts, so the GX/Defender is more me, but Grenadier may be more you? If you haven't seen one, there's nothing like it out there....
I drive from Cairns to Mt Isa regularly (about 800 miles) and I can tell you very few people will buy an Ineos for out there, it all comes down to reliability AND repair shops. In the middle of nowhere (like Mt Isa) there is no Ineos dealer, no BMW engine repairer but there is a Toyota dealer (should be able to fix the Lexus I hope?). The Ineos looks like it would be good but way out west I don’t think we’ll see them, that’s definitely Toyota country.

I drive from Cairns to Mt Isa regularly (about 800 miles) and I can tell you very few people will buy an Ineos for out there, it all comes down to reliability AND repair shops. In the middle of nowhere (like Mt Isa) there is no Ineos dealer, no BMW engine repairer but there is a Toyota dealer (should be able to fix the Lexus I hope?). The Ineos looks like it would be good but way out west I don’t think we’ll see them, that’s definitely Toyota country.
I agree about Ineos today.... Here in the US, it's probably 2x the cost of a Toyota 4Runner. Toyota has had probably 50 years to build out their network and credit to them, it's what you need for reliability. But the price point difference is a huge factor that will limit who decides to buy a Grenadier. Will the parts and supplies support broaden out over time? I'd guess the parts and supply networks would broaden to support the Grenadiers out there roaming about.

Curb-optional hit it on the head. I think that is a very true assessment of the three vehicles. One thing that intriges me is what Troical Snowman said about the auxiliary gas tank. Any one know where one should start looking for that extra gas tank here in USA. I would love to have that type of extended range. (ICE powered by GAS)
Probably the best spot remove spare seal the void that’s your new gas tank

GX550 Poll

• 1. tOny enD

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • 2. MJM

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • 3. SsgIncognito

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. bfloyd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5. Let’s Gooo!

Votes: 1 4.3%