There are two main approaches to avoid head injury
from the rear lift gate in the GX 550.
1. Disabling the “kick sensor” which I touched on in this other thread:
www.lexusgxforum.com
And ….
2. Making sure to adjust the height of the lift gate in its fully open position. I found out this second valuable lesson the hard way when my hatch glitched and stopped raising to its fully open position when opened. I didn’t realize this was the case, until I walked into it at night and WACK!!!
… this close encounter of the worst kind left a nice little cut on the edge of my receding hairline..
So as a courtesy to all of the owners on the forum taller than 5’5” and without adequate hair to hide their injuries (
) - I thought to review the process of how to set the height of the lift gate from the cockpit of the car 
First go to SETTINGS and choose VEHICLE CUSTOMIZE
Next choose DOOR CONTROL
And from there press OPENING POSITION
And penultimately pick the height that you wish to have your lift gate in its fully open position <1> being the lowest and <5> being the highest.
Then press OK.
Hope this is of some benefit .. Emed out.
1. Disabling the “kick sensor” which I touched on in this other thread:
Disabling the MOST annoying feature of an otherwise remarkable vehicle - “Kick (yourself for getting it) Sensor” aka “Back door - Hands Free” feature
Attended an Alcohol- Free cowboy 🤠 wedding event today down in Southern California for the first time. Everyone had a great time .. and without ETOH - no drama, and no trauma - just a Joyful event .. made even better by disconnecting the “most annoying” feature of an otherwise remarkable...
And ….
2. Making sure to adjust the height of the lift gate in its fully open position. I found out this second valuable lesson the hard way when my hatch glitched and stopped raising to its fully open position when opened. I didn’t realize this was the case, until I walked into it at night and WACK!!!
So as a courtesy to all of the owners on the forum taller than 5’5” and without adequate hair to hide their injuries (
First go to SETTINGS and choose VEHICLE CUSTOMIZE
Next choose DOOR CONTROL
And from there press OPENING POSITION
And penultimately pick the height that you wish to have your lift gate in its fully open position <1> being the lowest and <5> being the highest.
Then press OK.
Hope this is of some benefit .. Emed out.
Last edited:








