GX550 Low Fuel Gas Warning Light?? Where is it?

Sunshine3

May 20, 2024
Utah
Okay, honestly getting annoyed. It’s bad enough that a full tank is less than 300 miles (it showed 290 miles full tank both fill ups) and my average mpg is only 16.4 with 50% highway miles… BUT I don’t see any type of low fuel warning light. I looked down today and discovered 32 miles left- no warning lights no indicators. What am i missing? Does anyone know? I checked every setting and couldn’t find anything. Even my Subaru gives me warnings and says- low fuel “would you like me to find the nearest gas station?” Is there seriously not anything?!

Okay, honestly getting annoyed. It’s bad enough that a full tank is less than 300 miles (it showed 290 miles full tank both fill ups) and my average mpg is only 16.4 with 50% highway miles… BUT I don’t see any type of low fuel warning light. I looked down today and discovered 32 miles left- no warning lights no indicators. What am i missing? Does anyone know? I checked every setting and couldn’t find anything. Even my Subaru gives me warnings and says- low fuel “would you like me to find the nearest gas station?” Is there seriously not anything?!
Have you checked the owner’s manual usually there’s a picture of the dashboard with a list of everything on it

I looked at the online version of the manual and didn’t see it. Just a tiny pic of what the light looks like not where it shows. Does Lexus not do pop ups or any warnings on the navigation display?

Also isn’t this tank 21.1 gallons? Why is it showing 32 miles left and when I filled up it is less than 16 gallons. Something is off.

Found this info which indicates the light should have come when there is 3.2 gals. or less.

Attachments

• Low fuel 1.png
    Low fuel 1.png
    220.3 KB · Views: 186
  • Low fuel 2.png
    Low fuel 2.png
    49.5 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
Okay, this makes more sense but is a horrible design. So you drive it until it says 0 miles (totally counterintuitive ) then the light comes on and then you have 3.2 gallons to go- but it says 0 the whole time?! I’ve never driven a car where it doesn’t give you an accurate estimate of miles left.

Design sucks… IMO

My past GX's (five) gas tank held approx 24 gallons. When I filled up due to the low indicator light it would take apprx 18-19 gallons., when filled my milage indicator was close to 375 miles. My new GX max. is 300 miles when the tank is filled. My opinion... the new GX should be a min of 24 gallons.

Last edited:
My past GX's (five) gas tank held approx 24 gallons. When I filled up due to the low indicator light it would take apprx 18-19 gallons., when filled my milage indicator was close to 375 miles. My new GX max. is 300 miles when the tank is filled. My opinion... the new GX should be a min of 24 gallons.
I agree. I’ve only had it 2 weeks and I’m filling up every week with light usage.

On my 2017 Tundra I have between 5.5 and 6 gallons of gas left when my gas light comes on. I was told that Toyota is really conservative with when the gas light comes on. The fuel pump uses the gas for cooling and lubrication, it’s hard on the pump when the tank is dry.

I would imagine the same applies to Lexus.

On my 2017 Tundra I have between 5.5 and 6 gallons of gas left when my gas light comes on. I was told that Toyota is really conservative with when the gas light comes on. The fuel pump uses the gas for cooling and lubrication, it’s hard on the pump when the tank is dry.

I would imagine the same applies to Lexus.
Makes sense… Thx

I was looking at the dash and there is a bar on the bottom right that shows how much gas you have. When its near F you are full, closer to E you are empty... Not sure why you need an extra light to show that you are any closer to E than the fuel gauge shows ;)

I was looking at the dash and there is a bar on the bottom right that shows how much gas you have. When its near F you are full, closer to E you are empty... Not sure why you need an extra light to show that you are any closer to E than the fuel gauge shows ;)
Funny but I have learned that when you are busy and on the run the warning light has been extremely useful for me. ;)

Maybe I am old school. But I have always used the fuel guage to determine how much I have left.

I completely agree. This was a huge miss by Toyota/Lexus. Now days, all manufacturers are trying to get more range, not less. This is supposed to be my LFA (Luxury Future Apocalypse) vehicle and now my LFA (Less Fuel Amount) vehicle has less range than most EVs.

I'm hoping the computer figures some things out eventually for all of us, because highway driving at say 20mpg, and a 21.1g tank should yield a range of 400+ miles, and after filling up mine says about 260 miles.

I'm hoping the computer figures some things out eventually for all of us, because highway driving at say 20mpg, and a 21.1g tank should yield a range of 400+ miles, and after filling up mine says about 260 miles.
The computer predicts the estimated mileage based upon your average history of mpg. The only way you would get 400+ is if you have only driven highway miles and obtained that historic average.

Here you go, the little gas pump icon changes from white to orange and it pops up a low fuel message in the middle of the gauge cluster. And also, I expected it to show when I got to 15 miles range, but it didn't show up until 12 miles.

Attachments

• 20240627_184324.jpg
    20240627_184324.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 88
This is just speculation on my part (and I don't have a new GX yet), so if you have some facts or data that contradict this I'll be happy to hear them. My assumption is that the fuel range listed is an estimate of how far you can drive before the fuel level drops to a point where the fuel pump might be adversely effected if it was frequently driven below "0" miles of range. While you do have around 3 gallons left and could theoretically drive another ~50 miles, it's best for the fuel pump to fill up at or before 0 range.

GX550 Poll

• 1. tOny enD

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • 2. MJM

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • 3. SsgIncognito

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. bfloyd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5. Let’s Gooo!

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • 6. Widdlewadder510