GX550 Premium Plus

MissPeaches

Apr 17, 2024
Monrovia, CA
I just took delivery on my new GX550 Prem Plus. I'd like to upgrade the tires to something bigger. Does anyone know the max without lifting my vehicle?

1000009818.jpg

I just took delivery on my new GX550 Prem Plus. I'd like to upgrade the tires to something bigger. Does anyone know the max without lifting my vehicle?

View attachment 694

Welcome to the forum and a big CONGRATS on the new GX! You are the first member on here to actually take delivery! What do you think so far?

I'm not quite sure on the tires, so hopefully someone else can chime in. I'll be doing the same though but also plan on switching out to 18" wheels.

What brand of tire are you considering?

Off topic… did you test drive this before buying? I have one in transit but wife wants to test drive it before we buy it. I told her that’s probably not going to happen but just curious.

I was able to drive mine before purchasing. I drove and purchased it the same day. I just traded in my Macan GTS and to be honest, I like the GX way better.
I'm also looking at getting 18 inch rims and I'm not sure the tire brand.

Welcome to the forum and a big CONGRATS on the new GX! You are the first member on here to actually take delivery! What do you think so far?

I'm not quite sure on the tires, so hopefully someone else can chime in. I'll be doing the same though but also plan on switching out to 18" wheels.

What brand of tire are you considering?
This is my first Lexus. It's really unbelievable. The ride is smooth and it has so many features!

I was able to drive mine before purchasing. I drove and purchased it the same day. I just traded in my Macan GTS and to be honest, I like the GX way better.
I'm also looking at getting 18 inch rims and I'm not sure the tire brand.
We used to own a Porsche Macan so this is good to hear!

You should be able to run the same size wheels and tires that the Overtail has, which are 18 x 7.5-in wheels with 265/70R18 all-terrain tires. Or, essentially, a true 33-inch tall tire. We should have more information soon on what it will take to run a 34-inch tire if you want to go bigger than a 33.

Looks great! Congrats on taking delivery. What other options did yours come with? I am interested in seeing the captains chairs. However, the sales person at my local dealership said all of the Prem+ models they are getting will be bench seating.
I got to see a Prem+ (Caviar Ext / Black Int) at the previously mentioned dealership yesterday. Big SOLD sign on it, no test drive, got to see it on the showroom floor and sit in the driver seat. The first comment my wife said was that the wheels/tires look small. I would be interested in some sort of aftermarket tire to improve the look by filling up the wheel wells.

Looks great! Congrats on taking delivery. What other options did yours come with? I am interested in seeing the captains chairs. However, the sales person at my local dealership said all of the Prem+ models they are getting will be bench seating.
I got to see a Prem+ (Caviar Ext / Black Int) at the previously mentioned dealership yesterday. Big SOLD sign on it, no test drive, got to see it on the showroom floor and sit in the driver seat. The first comment my wife said was that the wheels/tires look small. I would be interested in some sort of aftermarket tire to improve the look by filling up the wheel wells.
The Premium Plus trim has a bench for a second row. I did not want captain chairs since I'll only be carting around my dog. Lol. It has a power folding third row which I like. I also just realized it has a hands free lift gate.
Your wife is right, the wheels and tires look small. I will be swapping them out

Off topic… did you test drive this before buying? I have one in transit but wife wants to test drive it before we buy it. I told her that’s probably not going to happen but just curious.
Most dealers will have a GX on the lot for test driving. They will all drive somewhat similar, enough to get a good idea on the drive aspect. Check out some local dealers near you. I would also make a small road trip to test drive one. Best be sure the wife is happy before you plop down 70 G’s..happy wife happy life.

Hello, I'm also considering a tire upgrade on my Premium Plus as soon as I take delivery. Can anyone confirm if 275/60/R20 will fit on the OEM wheels without doing a lift or any finder modification?

Hello, I'm also considering a tire upgrade on my Premium Plus as soon as I take delivery. Can anyone confirm if 275/60/R20 will fit on the OEM wheels without doing a lift or any finder modification?

There was someone in our FB Group that installed Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 275/60r20 on stock wheels. They aren't much taller then the stock tires that come on the overtrail, so I don't think you would have any issues.

gx550-275-60r20-3.jpg

gx550-275-60r20-1.jpg

gx550-275-60r20-2.jpg

There was someone in our FB Group that installed Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 275/60r20 on stock wheels. They aren't much taller then the stock tires that come on the overtrail, so I don't think you would have any issues.

View attachment 1084

View attachment 1085

View attachment 1086
Thank you, supersix. I'm not a big fan of the OEM wheels that came with Premium Plus, but I'm also considering swapping with aftermarket or OT wheels as an option.

I missed mentioning that I also looked into size differences from tiresize.com/calculator. 1.5" taller and 0.4" wider will require any modifications. Again, Thank you! supersix.

1715733628756.png

Nice looking setup, but interesting Wheel Tec commented that 275/60r20 wouldn't work. Anybody with proof otherwise?

1720820118168.png

From a Facebook Group:
1720820098237.png

Last edited:

GX550 Poll

• 1. tOny enD

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • 2. MJM

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • 3. SsgIncognito

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. bfloyd