Hello!

GX550Owner

Jan 29, 2024
Olympia
Hello,

Just wanted to introduce myself. Here from Olympia, Washington. I'm a huge automotive enthusiast--current cars include a Highlander, R1T and a GT4; previously a M2 and big Subaru enthusiast.

Put a deposit for a GX Lux+ a week or so ago. Excited to read/watch the reviews once the embargo lifts on the 1st. That said, we are juggling between a people hauler TX500h F-performance and this GX550 Luxury + which are similar in price but differ significantly. We occasional carry more than 4 people but that is just a few times a year. Most of the time its just a family of four. What makes this decision hard is the significant fuel economy difference between the TX and the GX 27 vs 17 mpg, respectively and the towing capacity. We have a 21' boat with a dual axle trailer which is right at 5k--right at the max of the TX. The GX would seemly be the safer choice. However, we don't frequently tow long distances. For around town, we use the R1T which is an amazing local tow vehicle. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum! All the specs indicate the GX should make a good tow vehicle, especially in the 5,000-6,000 pound range. The TX would definitely be a roomier vehicle and the fuel economy is much better. It just wouldn't have the off-road chops of the GX. Have you consider the R1S at all?

Welcome to the forum! All the specs indicate the GX should make a good tow vehicle, especially in the 5,000-6,000 pound range. The TX would definitely be a roomier vehicle and the fuel economy is much better. It just wouldn't have the off-road chops of the GX. Have you consider the R1S at all?
Thanks! Yes we did but the tow range on the EV is pretty bad and not great for long distances. We wanted something to use for longer trips without the need to plot out the charging stations. The R1T has been a wonderful tow vehicle for short trips though

Welcome to the forum! I had a GT4 and I really regret selling it. I have been looking at the M2 CS closely has I have a five year old and it would be nice to have a sports car with a backseat.

When it comes to towing, I always like to over spec it if I can. I've had to tow with some light vehicles before and I never liked the feeling of the vehicle barely being able to handle the load. When I tow I want to feel confit and have plenty of extra payload, brakes, transmission cooling, etc. I hear the R1T tows great! The curb weight and instant torque of electric motors really make them nice towing vehicles, for short distances like you mentioned.

GX550 Poll

• 1. tOny enD

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • 2. MJM

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • 3. SsgIncognito

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. bfloyd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5. Let’s Gooo!

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • 6. Widdlewadder510