Reduced Capacity & Range?

AD_Venture

Apr 7, 2024
Miami, FL
Hello GXers! I noticed the new model has a reduced fuel capacity and driving range. According to reports, the range in miles is 316/443 (city/hwy). The average, and closer to “true range”, will be less than 380 miles per tank. Why would Lexus reduce capacity of the tank and driving range? This seems odd and against what we would all like, increased range. I’de love to hear your feedback on this topic.

Hello GXers! I noticed the new model has a reduced fuel capacity and driving range. According to reports, the range in miles is 316/443 (city/hwy). The average, and closer to “true range”, will be less than 380 miles per tank. Why would Lexus reduce capacity of the tank and driving range? This seems odd and against what we would all like, increased range. I’de love to hear your feedback on this topic.
True range depends on the driver smaller tanks reduces weight size of vehicle for better approach angle etc. if we can get after market external tire rack , then you can seal the spare tire there’s your extra fuel tank

Seriously? I know that the BMW X5 doesn't have the off-road capability, but owners routinely get 500 to 600 miles to a tank. (This is in the mild hybrid 40i.)

Seriously? I know that the BMW X5 doesn't have the off-road capability, but owners routinely get 500 to 600 miles to a tank. (This is in the mild hybrid 40i.)
My wife’s 2024 X5 50e plug-in using the 110v to recharge nightly gets 1,500 miles to a tank of gas (based on her daily driving). My GX 550 gas range lists less than 300 miles on a full tank! Still love my new GX and enjoy driving the BMW when I’m allowed…

My thought is - remove the spare and put on roof for off road adventures if needed. Add aftermarket 2nd tank where the spare is now.

In daily use (non off road) - I’ve had a flat one time and used fix a flat/called roadside assistance. I have not changed a flat in 30 years - so do I need a spare in normal driving.

I saw a video and an owner was talking about this and said that possibly they were leaving room with the smaller tank for the battery when the hybrids are produced.
Yeah, I get that and “forward compatibility” is good in manufacturing, but they still had the opportunity to give customers an option with a different configuration. As has been stated by others, there will possibly be aftermarket mods, but it would have been nice to have it from factory.

OK, so apparently we may not be in quite the dire straits we think. Recently when filling up, my GX would tell me my range was 265 miles. But this week I took a road trip and when I filled up it gave me a range of 298 miles, so getting better already. I then drove 274 miles, and my range reduced to 90 miles. That means my 274 miles only cost me 208 miles off range, meaning I did 31.7% better than that. So my remaining 90 mile range should actually yield about 118 miles. So 118 miles, plus the 274 I already traveled would be a total actual range of about 392 miles. That seems a lot better than 265 miles it was telling me originally. I think it's just going to take some time for the computer to learn the range. Also, my calculated gas mileage was 19.99mpg.

Seems like a pretty average per tank distance.

GX550 Poll

• 1. tOny enD

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • 2. MJM

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • 3. SsgIncognito

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. bfloyd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5. Let’s Gooo!

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • 6. Widdlewadder510