Rhino-Rack is coming for the GX550

Rhino-Rack

Jun 7, 2024
Denver, CO
Hey guys, Weston here with Rhino-Rack. You may have seen me posting on the Facebook groups but wanted to formally introduce ourselves.

Personally speaking, I've been in the Toyota/Lexus off road realm for the past fifteen years with a few builds under my belt, and I have to say this is the best looking SUV Lexus has ever designed. I am currently building my buddy's Nori Green Overtrail+ - currently at CBI for the next few weeks to get the first set of bumpers and armor fitted! I'll keep everyone posted when I have more to share on that build.

As for the Rhino side of things, we have two racks coming at different times. First up is our Pioneer 6 (mounted using our Backbone system) which is readying for sale as we speak, and second is a full length concept currently in prototype (estimated launch Sept-Nov). I'll be sure to share more details when ready.

Here are a few photos of the Pioneer 6 + Backbone setup from a recent photo shoot. Happy to be here supporting this community and excited for more and more of you to take delivery. Let me know if I can answer any questions, otherwise I'll keep you posted as more information comes available.

Attachments

• DSC02837.jpg
    DSC02837.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 278
  • DSC02800-HDR-2.jpg
    DSC02800-HDR-2.jpg
    344.6 KB · Views: 254
  • DSC02824-3.jpg
    DSC02824-3.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 261
Good to hear and the racks are looking great. I’m a huge fan of Rhino. Had one on my Rubicon you guys installed several years ago.
Love to hear that! I'll have to show you the Nori Green we're building when it's back from Idaho.

I wish rack companies would post data to show things like, increased nvh values in db, decrease in mpg figures, static weight and price upfront. Hype is all good and all but I would appreciate that information
As mentioned, we are prepping this system for sale which includes gathering that information. I don't like launching anything without first making that data available.

Will this setup work with the factory roof rails?
Right now the only option to mount the Pioneer 6 on the GX will be the Backbone, which replaces the factory rails. On other models, we have the RX100 crossbar kit that attaches to rails as an alternative, but I don't have an ETA for that. The Premium factory rails are super low profile and not sure what can be done with those. The Overtrail rails look like much better candidates.

Hey guys, Weston here with Rhino-Rack. You may have seen me posting on the Facebook groups but wanted to formally introduce ourselves.

Personally speaking, I've been in the Toyota/Lexus off road realm for the past fifteen years with a few builds under my belt, and I have to say this is the best looking SUV Lexus has ever designed. I am currently building my buddy's Nori Green Overtrail+ - currently at CBI for the next few weeks to get the first set of bumpers and armor fitted! I'll keep everyone posted when I have more to share on that build.

As for the Rhino side of things, we have two racks coming at different times. First up is our Pioneer 6 (mounted using our Backbone system) which is readying for sale as we speak, and second is a full length concept currently in prototype (estimated launch Sept-Nov). I'll be sure to share more details when ready.

Here are a few photos of the Pioneer 6 + Backbone setup from a recent photo shoot. Happy to be here supporting this community and excited for more and more of you to take delivery. Let me know if I can answer any questions, otherwise I'll keep you posted as more information comes available.
Hoping a smaller one for only the back comes out soon, one that doesn’t cover the luxury+ sunroof, if you need to test fit I have a lux+ in Austin Tx and go to Houston often

Hoping a smaller one for only the back comes out soon, one that doesn’t cover the luxury+ sunroof, if you need to test fit I have a lux+ in Austin Tx and go to Houston often

Appreciate it! We're looking at a shorter option that will end near the back of the sunroof and will keep you posted.

@Rhino-Rack I suspect that you could make $$$ and many loyal customers by making new front and rear bars for the existing Lexus rack that cut down on wind noise. I'd pay almost as much as a new rack just to avoid having to swap rails. Just a thought...

@Rhino-Rack I suspect that you could make $$$ and many loyal customers by making new front and rear bars for the existing Lexus rack that cut down on wind noise. I'd pay almost as much as a new rack just to avoid having to swap rails. Just a thought...

Shoot me some photos and more details of what you're looking at. We have bars coming out for these but not sure what we're doing about the low profile rails.

Shoot me some photos and more details of what you're looking at. We have bars coming out for these but not sure what we're doing about the low profile rails.
I had installed a WD rack on my LC200 specifically so I didn’t have to change rails. It had brackets that slid into the channels. Not familiar with the OT rails, but maybe would work on those; don’t think it would work on my Prem+ rails.

IMG_9498.jpeg

@Rhino-Rack I have a GX 500 Luxury + with a huge sun roof and a "floating" roof rack that makes lots of noise. A simple wind fairing on the front would be delightful. Even better would be a wind fairing with an integrated light bar with a Bluetooth on-switch in the vehicle cabin. Make sense?

GX550 Poll

• 1. tOny enD

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • 2. MJM

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • 3. SsgIncognito

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. bfloyd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5. Let’s Gooo!

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • 6. Widdlewadder510