Why the delay of the hybrid variant?

Nuke

Aug 19, 2023
Rexburg, ID
Any theories why the GX 550 hybrid has a delayed release date? Lexus has said it will be forthcoming, and will share the hybrid drivetrain of the Tacoma and Land Cruiser. As Lexus is the pinnacle of reliability, are they awaiting this drivetrain to be proven in the Toyota models mentioned?

I think many will want a 3rd row AND the hybrid drive train. THIS is a real struggle with a solid rear axle and body on frame construction. I really considered a Sequoia, but the whole interior layout is really awkward at best. I think they want to learn from that debacle.

I think many will want a 3rd row AND the hybrid drive train. THIS is a real struggle with a solid rear axle and body on frame construction. I really considered a Sequoia, but the whole interior layout is really awkward at best. I think they want to learn from that debacle.
Yeah, I looked at the Sequoia as well, and couldn't make it work for my family. It's great until you decide to do what the car is meant to do.

Yeah, I looked at the Sequoia as well, and couldn't make it work for my family. It's great until you decide to do what the car is meant to do.

It's too bad, because it's a really good looking SUV. Everyone I have talked with about the new Sequoia complains about the interior design.

I'm actually happy it didn't pan out for me, as the GX will not only be cheaper but even better looking!

What does this Sequoia cost? I'll have to GTS that.
It starts at 61K and goes to 83K for the top of the line capstone trim. The issue is that trim only comes with Captains chairs which means you can't fold the rear seats down for cargo if you have a large, or extended family.

The shelf system in the back is clever, but ultimately not worth the hassle.

It's a great vehicle until you get beyond the second row where it looks like everyone at Toyota was just trying to be too clever.

I was considering the Sequoia TRD Pro that was around $81,000.

trdpro-build.png

Glad not all have 3rd row, but I too am waiting to see on the hybrid. I”m presuming it’ll be shortly as production ramps up, maybe for 25? Surely if there’s one manufacturer to trust electrified assistance to ICE it’s Toyota.

Glad not all have 3rd row, but I too am waiting to see on the hybrid. I”m presuming it’ll be shortly as production ramps up, maybe for 25? Surely if there’s one manufacturer to trust electrified assistance to ICE it’s Toyota.

I think they will have the Hybrid available in 2025. It was mentioned somewhere in the GX550 press release.

Reactions: MJE
From someone who has never driven a hybrid or an EV, but really wants to. Bear with me while I explain ...

I'd been waiting 10 months for Kia's EV9 all-electric to come out. Had/have a reservation and everything. Am considering a 24-month lease if I can get a fair deal. I LOVE the boxy look, and I need a 7-seater (Wind trim is seven seats).
But folks keep talking about how the prices will come down. Some people say go for it if you love it. Other people say getting a first generation new technology vehicle is a big risk for malfunctions. So I began hesitating ...

At the same time, I read about and saw pics of the Lexus GX and how it will be offered in a hybrid version. But when?! When Lexus said "early in 2024" were they just talking about the full ICE models? I LOVE the GX look even more than the Kia EV9. But I've been waiting SO long as it is... If the GX hybrid turns out to not only be offered in 2025 but ALSO drop down to five seats, I will be crushed.

Is there a way to sign up for notifications for the GX hybrid version specifically?

Welcome jazabo! We presently own a hybrid, a 2021 Highlander, and love it. As a person who studies such things in detail, the drivetrain is a marvel of engineering and simplicity. However, the future of battery technology and chemistry is a concern for a vehicle (GX) that I will consider a "keeper". Also, the hybrid system that will be incorporated into the GX will essentially be a "boost" system, and will not gain much in the realm of MPG, well, possibly 6 or so, as it will be the turbo 4-banger system as in the LC. Another consideration is the V6 can live with regular fuel per Lexus, but will the GX 4-banger hybrid? So many variables to consider!

Welcome jazabo! We presently own a hybrid, a 2021 Highlander, and love it. As a person who studies such things in detail, the drivetrain is a marvel of engineering and simplicity. However, the future of battery technology and chemistry is a concern for a vehicle (GX) that I will consider a "keeper". Also, the hybrid system that will be incorporated into the GX will essentially be a "boost" system, and will not gain much in the realm of MPG, well, possibly 6 or so, as it will be the turbo 4-banger system as in the LC. Another consideration is the V6 can live with regular fuel per Lexus, but will the GX 4-banger hybrid? So many variables to consider!
All good points. This is the reason I ordered a 2025 I’m pretty sure the hybrid will be the LC and Tacoma hybrid so I worry it may be a touch under powered. That being said if power was close to the same I would take the hybrid

I wonder what the towing capacity will be for the hybrid version

I’m guessing 5000 -6000 max. I also wonder what will be the more expensive powertrain. It might be tough to charge more for a 4 cyl hybrid that’s shared with much cheaper models.
I am guessing the differential will not be all that much. Yes, hybrid, but stepping down from a twin-turbo V6 to a single-turbo 4-banger, and most likely from the 10-speed auto to an 8-speed.

GX550 Poll

• 1. tOny enD

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • 2. MJM

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • 3. SsgIncognito

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. bfloyd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5. Let’s Gooo!

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • 6. Widdlewadder510