2025 Lexus GX550 Announcement/Release Date?

When do you think Lexus will announce the 2025 Lexus GX550?

• June 2024

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • July 2024

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • August 2024

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • September 2024

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • October 2024

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • November 2024

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • December

Votes: 8 24.2%

• Total voters

supersix

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 12, 2023
LexusGX550-2024-Announcement.png

Lexus officially unveiled the new GX550 on June 8th last year. When do you think they will announce the 2025 GX550? Aside from the long-rumored hybrid version, do you expect any new features, paint options, or interior choices?

I think they have some engine recall issues to sort out before they get into details like what options next years model is going to have standard haha…

Lexus will likely announce 25MY GX last out of all their _X models.

LX700h was recently trademarked and predicted to launch as 2025.

For the 2025 MY, does anyone have any leads on if Lexus might offer more wheel options across trims, or possibly even the third row and captains chairs on the overtrail trims?

The GX is a great new offering, but the trims force hard decisions on people that want a third row or that worry about ride quality on 22s.

My dealer’s calling, but I’m having a hard time committing to a trim… if waiting for MY25 solves my problems, that’d be great.

I'm guessing there won't be any options or paint color changes. The only new thing for MY 2025 is going to be a hybrid version of the engine. Seeing as the main reason I'm on a waiting list for a GX 550 and not a Land Cruiser is that I like the V6 over the hybrid 4, this change won't affect me. And the storage space used in the cargo area by the hybrid battery (same wanting no 3rd row - as much as some people really want the 3rd row in the OT or OT+ trims for valid reasons, I need the extra space and lower load height that the lack of a hybrid battery and lack of 3rd row provides).

I'm guessing there won't be any options or paint color changes. The only new thing for MY 2025 is going to be a hybrid version of the engine. Seeing as the main reason I'm on a waiting list for a GX 550 and not a Land Cruiser is that I like the V6 over the hybrid 4, this change won't affect me. And the storage space used in the cargo area by the hybrid battery (same wanting no 3rd row - as much as some people really want the 3rd row in the OT or OT+ trims for valid reasons, I need the extra space and lower load height that the lack of a hybrid battery and lack of 3rd row provides).
Interesting- thanks! It would be so easy for Lexus to let people option something as simple as wheels. Forcing anyone with a Luxury into those 22”s seems so silly to me, though I saw some people on here had replaced the stock tires with thicker rubber to accommodate.

My wife demands the third row that’ll probably be used five times during our ownership of the truck… I have a suspicion that the OT has a softer ride with the bigger sidewalls and less lean on corners with KDSS. Sounds more “luxurious” to me.

I’ve got a bronco. Wasn’t sure I wanted to keep it forever, but between that and the trims, it’s enough to make me just say forget it and get a TX for commuter duty…

I agree that Lexus should provide different wheel options for every trim level. Then again, I think Lexus should get rid of the trim levels and have everything be an option. :) But I'm not sure that mentality works with the Toyota Production System. So we have what we have. At least wheels and tires can be easily changed out with aftermarket ones that are, IMO, better looking. The eKDSS is something I wish was on all the GXs though.

Last edited:
I agree that Lexus should provide different wheel for every trim level. Then again, I think Lexus should get rid of the trim levels and have everything be am option. :) But I'm not sure that mentality works with the Toyota Production System. So we have what we have. At least wheels and tires can be easily changed out with aftermarket ones that are, IMO, better looking. The eKDSS is something I wish was on all the GXs though.
Agreed- there must be some serious production efficiencies in limiting options. Germans and Americans also let you basically spec the exact car you want and order it, vs. Lexus kinda building what they want to and letting dealers sort it out.

You lose sales in the cracks between those trims and options they don’t allow (esp. for enthusiast vehicles), but I guess they bet on making it up on reduced production costs… or maybe that’s just the cost of the reliability, and without that, they’d be in trouble.

Reactions: JPE
Agreed- there must be some serious production efficiencies in limiting options. Germans and Americans also let you basically spec the exact car you want and order it, vs. Lexus kinda building what they want to and letting dealers sort it out.

You lose sales in the cracks between those trims and options they don’t allow (esp. for enthusiast vehicles), but I guess they bet on making it up on reduced production costs… or maybe that’s just the cost of the reliability, and without that, they’d be in trouble.
Porsche is my favorite. Their trims are based on engine and suspension and almost everything else is an option and you can get it on pretty much any trim. But oh boy do they love to charge a lot for those options. :D

I do think you're right that a few sales slip through the cracks in Toyota/Lexus land, but like you said they may not worry too much about that since their efficiencies make up for it. I have a feeling that a lot of folks will opt for a higher trim level just to get the few options they want and that generates more revenue for Toyota/Lexus. I can't bring myself to do that - part of why I'm on the waiting list for an OT instead of an OT+ even though the OT+ has memory seats and the rear hatch kick sensor. But I refuse to pay the extra $8,000 for just those two options (the other extras on the OT+ I don't care about, including the heated rear seats, even though I fully understand why some people would care about those things).

BTW, is that a Mal as your profile picture? I have a Doberman and a Mal - which is why I need as large a cargo area as possible.

Porsche is my favorite. Their trims are based on engine and suspension and almost everything else is an option and you can get it on pretty much any trim. But oh boy do they love to charge a lot for those options. :D

I do think you're right that a few sales slip through the cracks in Toyota/Lexus land, but like you said they may not worry too much about that since their efficiencies make up for it. I have a feeling that a lot of folks will opt for a higher trim level just to get the few options they want and that generates more revenue for Toyota/Lexus. I can't bring myself to do that - part of why I'm on the waiting list for an OT instead of an OT+ even though the OT+ has memory seats and the rear hatch kick sensor. But I refuse to pay the extra $8,000 for just those two options (the other extras on the OT+ I don't care about, including the heated rear seats, even though I fully understand why some people would care about those things).

BTW, is that a Mal as your profile picture? I have a Doberman and a Mal - which is why I need as large a cargo area as possible.
Yeah Porsche can let you spec alcantara covered air vents and crazy paint to sample colors without sacrificing quality. They can do it bc people pay dearly for every little option. Rather than trading options or features for reliability, they just charge more and you get both… problem solved?

And on Toyota/Lexus, totally agree. As I wrote my last response, I realized that they’d be in a world of hurt if reliability were no longer a differentiator for them. I would think that wheels are so simple to change that they should be able to accommodate it as a dealer installed option or something, but more broadly, I get it.

You’re right on forcing people to move trims to get options, too. I’d love an OT or OT+ with third row, or a premium plus with rear sunshades, camera rear view mirror, etc. But beggars can’t be choosers. I’m pretty confident OTs and OT+s will hold their value longer.

I’ve got a 80lb German Shepherd (just has a black face like a Malinois) and two kids. We’d consider a second one, but not without something bigger than a GX. Our current XC90 is crowded during the holidays, even with our roof carrier. If I could twist my wife’s arm into a Yukon, I might have gone that route, but she’s scared of anything full sized. Dogs take up an incredible amount of space, but rooftop carriers are worth their weight in gold.

I agree that Lexus should provide different wheel for every trim level. Then again, I think Lexus should get rid of the trim levels and have everything be am option. :) But I'm not sure that mentality works with the Toyota Production System. So we have what we have. At least wheels and tires can be easily changed out with aftermarket ones that are, IMO, better looking. The eKDSS is something I wish was on all the GXs though.
I agree with EKDSS

GX550 Poll

• 1. tOny enD

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • 2. MJM

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • 3. SsgIncognito

• 4. bfloyd

• 5. Let’s Gooo!

Votes: 1 4.3%