'25 Overtrail+ Makes a "Cicada" Like noise under the hood every couple minutes when driving (1 Viewer)

Sonny

Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2026
Messages
50
Reaction score
13
Location
TX
Hi all,

I have a '25 Overtrail+ with about 10k miles on it. I just noticed that when I'm driving theres a noise that comes up every few minutes and only lasts maybe 6-8 seconds that sounds, as best as I can describe, like a cicada is "whirring" under the hood (if you dont know the sound you can google, but they live everywhere around me so its the best I can relate). It starts somewhat quiet then builds only slightly louder and then stops and I wait a few minutes and it repeats exactly as it did before. Its not very loud but certainly present.

If I'm at a stop I dont hear the sound. It seems to happen irrespective of RPM/speed as long as I'm moving say about 20-30mph at least. I don't think its the engine, I imagine it might be something loose with an air intake or .... something. I can try and get a recording of it when I'm off work. Just wondering if anyone has heard anything similar. Sorry if this description is kind of vague.
 
Know those damn critters well. Might start by going underneath & doing cursory look for anything loose. Just one pin left out of place on a lower panel can make noise.
 
I have the same thing, I cannot tell whether it is a vibration or an electrical interference buzz coming out of a speaker. I can't pinpoint it, but it is somewhere within 100 degrees forward of the drivers position.
 
I have the same thing, I cannot tell whether it is a vibration or an electrical interference buzz coming out of a speaker. I can't pinpoint it, but it is somewhere within 100 degrees forward of the drivers position.
I dont think its a speaker ... if I turn my volume all the way down it still persists, but maybe I need to turn the sound system completely off to be sure. It almost sounds like something charging/discharging over 5 seconds repeatedly. As far as I can tell its the same exact length, frequency, volume, etc each time it happens. If it gets worse ill take it in. Its not really bothersome at the moment and I only hear it when I dont have the music up.

I heard it today because I was on a phone call and heard it in between talking.
 
I dont think its a speaker ... if I turn my volume all the way down it still persists, but maybe I need to turn the sound system completely off to be sure. It almost sounds like something charging/discharging over 5 seconds repeatedly. As far as I can tell its the same exact length, frequency, volume, etc each time it happens. If it gets worse ill take it in. Its not really bothersome at the moment and I only hear it when I dont have the music up.

I heard it today because I was on a phone call and heard it in between talking.
I agree I hear it when I turn my audio off, but those speakers are still on even when the audio is off (warnings and engine noise for example)
 
I agree I hear it when I turn my audio off, but those speakers are still on even when the audio is off (warnings and engine noise for example)
makes sense, not sure why it goes away when im idle though. Unless its a physical relationship with the force of the wind blowing through somehow and causing this interaction.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

GX550 Poll

  • Yes, I can pick up in Los Angeles (Burbank area)

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Yes, but I need it shipped.

    Votes: 10 58.8%
Back
Top Bottom