Don’t buy B4 driving!

WWoodyWood

May 17, 2024
Pennsylvania
On Monday I am trading my GX 550 Luxury+ in after only 3 weeks of ownership (last 2 1/2 weeks with a loaner). The horrible suspension, stiff ride and chattering could not be rectified and my dealer agreed it was unacceptable. If I would have test drove it first, I would have declined the sale and asked to try out another one. Apparently mine isn’t the only GX with issues, so beware and demand a test drive first. My dealership was great and they are seriously concerned about the problem and having more dissatisfied customers like me. Even after 16 days in the shop, they couldn’t figure out what was wrong with it, so they are hoping corporate will get their hands on it to do a better diagnosis of the problem. Good luck out there to you all. I’ll be jealous every time I see one on the road.

Last edited:
On Monday I am trading my GX 550 Luxury+ in after only 3 weeks of ownership (last 2 1/2 weeks with a loaner). The horrible suspension, stiff ride and chattering could not be rectified and my dealer agreed it was unacceptable. If I would have test drove it first, I would have declined the sale and asked to try out another one. Apparently mine isn’t the only GX with issues, so beware and demand a test drive first. My dealership was great and they are seriously concerned about the problem and having more dissatisfied customers like me. Even after 16 days in the shop, they couldn’t figure out what was wrong with it, so they are hoping corporate will get their hands on it to do a better diagnosis of the problem. Good luck out there to you all. I’ll be jealous every time is see one on the road.
Sorry for the unfortunate situation hope you will be able to get a better result 🤞

Sorry to hear you had such a terrible experience but definitely appreciate you keeping us updated. When I test drove a demo vehicle the salesperson kept the ride short and on back roads due to multiple customers wanting to test drive the 550. After hearing your experience I will definitely go for a more significant drive and get up to highway speeds in my vehicle before I complete the sale. I don't know if I would have insisted on that if I had not heard about your experience. Thanks

Sorry you had such a bad experience, definitely understandable you're wanting out. Due to your experience, I'll be sure to drive mine once it comes in, both on local roads and interstate to make sure.
I made sure to test drive the dealer's Premium+ on both types of roads and didn't appreciate what you've described, so hopefully it's only a rare issue. Good luck with what you get into next!

Goes to show you what a difference a good salesperson makes. A good salesperson will always insist that, no matter what, the customer drive the actual vehicle they're buying before finalizing the deal and driving off. I hear all the time "I've already driven one", or a few, etc. But things happen, and it's a whole lot easier to catch it before it becomes a huge headache and major disappointment for everyone involved, like in this situation.

Goes to show you what a difference a good salesperson makes. A good salesperson will always insist that, no matter what, the customer drive the actual vehicle they're buying before finalizing the deal and driving off. I hear all the time "I've already driven one", or a few, etc. But things happen, and it's a whole lot easier to catch it before it becomes a huge headache and major disappointment for everyone involved, like in this situation.
Agreed. It was a unique situation though. Put my deposit down 10 months earlier, had deal agreed to on my Defender trade-in, and waited an additional 5 days while they figured out solution to paint damage on hood. So the car was getting XPel put on the hood and detailed while we did paperwork and I had to wait around for it to be done. At the end of the day, it was a top of the line Lexus with and adaptive variable suspension. Figured it would drive better than the Dodge Durango, Chevy Equinox and Toyota RAV4s I rent while traveling on business, and all of those rides were more than acceptable for my use. Was totally stunned the GX was worse than my old 99 Cherokee Sport.

Solid advice.

Woodywood, are you planning to get into another GX? Or burned out on it?
Trading the GX in on a Sequoia. Not thrilled about it (dumbest 3rd row on the market), but the dealer bent over backwards to stop me from selling the defective GX to another dealership or 3rd party owner.

Reactions: MJE
Agreed. It was a unique situation though. Put my deposit down 10 months earlier, had deal agreed to on my Defender trade-in, and waited an additional 5 days while they figured out solution to paint damage on hood. So the car was getting XPel put on the hood and detailed while we did paperwork and I had to wait around for it to be done. At the end of the day, it was a top of the line Lexus with and adaptive variable suspension. Figured it would drive better than the Dodge Durango, Chevy Equinox and Toyota RAV4s I rent while traveling on business, and all of those rides were more than acceptable for my use. Was totally stunned the GX was worse than my old 99 Cherokee Sport.
What are your impression of the Defender? How long did you have it?

That's likely the direction I'll go if the GX doesn't seem promising in a few months.

What are your impression of the Defender? How long did you have it?

That's likely the direction I'll go if the GX doesn't seem promising in a few months.
I had a 2020 First Edition and a 2023 X Dynamic. I would buy them over and over again, but I will be putting over 20-25k on my car every year for next 3 years and decided a Lexus or Toyota might hold resale better with high mileage. If I had to do it over, I’d stay with the Defender. Better mileage, better ride and better sound system (the Meridian compared to the Mark Levinson was way better. Think the ML is tuned for old folk).

So very sorry to hear about your experience. That is one of the reasons I'm waiting to be able to test drive, longer than a trip around the block of the dealership, before committing to a $80,000+ purchase. I know there are a large number of customers that put down a deposit (as I have) and bought the first one that came into the dealership. I'm not knocking them, just saying that I'm happy to wait for a vehicle that I'll be happy with for 6 to 8 or more years. One of my vehicles is a '05 Dodge diesel that has 230K on the clock.

We are pleased with our new GX Overtrail + and have not had any issues after much driving on and off the highway. Until last year I had a had a 2021 Defender X and find the GX to be a much more desirable vehicle on many levels, but it comes to be a matter of personal preferences. The software on the Defender was extremely slow and frustrated me much. I am more comfortable with the GX.

SO sorry to hear you were disappointed at Lexus. It does not make any common sense for the unit to be a mystery............the dealer did not offer to replace the GX for you??
They gave me three options: 1. Unwind the deal, give me Defender back and refund all monies; 2. Trade in the GX for another Lexus (another unallocated GX would take weeks or months); 3. Trade in the GX for a car from a sister dealership at a good deal. I settled for a Sequoia to get me by for a year.

They gave me three options: 1. Unwind the deal, give me Defender back and refund all monies; 2. Trade in the GX for another Lexus (another unallocated GX would take weeks or months); 3. Trade in the GX for a car from a sister dealership at a good deal. I settled for a Sequoia to get me by for a year.
So you chose to come out of pocket for the Sequoia over just walking away with your Defender at no cost? Super interesting to me as I drove the Sequoia and eliminated it from contention vs a GX or new Defender. Love to hear your thoughts.

GX550 Poll

• 1. tOny enD

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • 2. MJM

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • 3. SsgIncognito

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. bfloyd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5. Let’s Gooo!

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • 6. Widdlewadder510