Email on GX 550 options but no reply thus far

Nickal

Apr 12, 2024
Cooper City
Sent this in to 2 execs and have not heard back. Still buying an Overtrail plus but for a company that opines the relentless pursuit of perfection, there certainly is some room with this launch...

Stephen,

I'm writing to give you some feedback on the new 2024 Lexus GX 550 Overtrail plus which I've ordered but have not yet received. First as you already know, this is a benchmark car for Lexus that has brought me back into the Lexus fold. My wife and I used to only buy Lexus vehicles but a bad experience 16 years ago had us buying BMW's, Audi's and other luxury brands. I've been following the release of this vehicle for more than a year and now that I've seen it I have some feedback that you've probably already heard and yes... I'm nitpicking a near perfect vehicle!

1. Overtrail plus should allow for the same options as Luxury plus. That I can't get a camera rear view mirror in an 85k SUV in this day in age is mystifying.
2. For 2 row Overtrail models the back seat should be able to recline further as well as slide back & forth giving the 2nd row much more available space and thus more appealing.
3. Where is the level2+ feature? Once you have this it's hard to go back to driving hiways without it! Part 2 of this; will Lexus be able to add this feature via software update to 2024 GX's?
4. On Lexus website, there needs to be an option to configure and order the car you want delivered to the dealer of your choice or to your home. My last BMW allowed me to do just that and I had a new car customized to my specs delivered within 90 days.
5. The press had not been properly educated on the Electronic Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System (E-KDSS) with roll bars that electronically disengage when off-roading but are engaged on pavement thus providing better cornering and far less body roll. Many reviewers have stated the roll is excessive but they were not driving Overtrail models. Perhaps best to have E-KDSS as standard on all trims because I'd guess that 80% of the use or more will be on roads. Could also provide testers with both Overtrail and any other trim level so they could see how much better Overtrail is both on and off road.

Congratulations on an outstanding new launch and looking forward to soon owning my GX 550.

Sent this in to 2 execs and have not heard back. Still buying an Overtrail plus but for a company that opines the relentless pursuit of perfection, there certainly is some room with this launch...

Stephen,

I'm writing to give you some feedback on the new 2024 Lexus GX 550 Overtrail plus which I've ordered but have not yet received. First as you already know, this is a benchmark car for Lexus that has brought me back into the Lexus fold. My wife and I used to only buy Lexus vehicles but a bad experience 16 years ago had us buying BMW's, Audi's and other luxury brands. I've been following the release of this vehicle for more than a year and now that I've seen it I have some feedback that you've probably already heard and yes... I'm nitpicking a near perfect vehicle!

1. Overtrail plus should allow for the same options as Luxury plus. That I can't get a camera rear view mirror in an 85k SUV in this day in age is mystifying.
2. For 2 row Overtrail models the back seat should be able to recline further as well as slide back & forth giving the 2nd row much more available space and thus more appealing.
3. Where is the level2+ feature? Once you have this it's hard to go back to driving hiways without it! Part 2 of this; will Lexus be able to add this feature via software update to 2024 GX's?
4. On Lexus website, there needs to be an option to configure and order the car you want delivered to the dealer of your choice or to your home. My last BMW allowed me to do just that and I had a new car customized to my specs delivered within 90 days.
5. The press had not been properly educated on the Electronic Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System (E-KDSS) with roll bars that electronically disengage when off-roading but are engaged on pavement thus providing better cornering and far less body roll. Many reviewers have stated the roll is excessive but they were not driving Overtrail models. Perhaps best to have E-KDSS as standard on all trims because I'd guess that 80% of the use or more will be on roads. Could also provide testers with both Overtrail and any other trim level so they could see how much better Overtrail is both on and off road.

Congratulations on an outstanding new launch and looking forward to soon owning my GX 550.
Nice email. As of now, I’m getting ‘24 OT+. Your points are valid and I would add camera washers and Pano roof (one that opens would be nice). I might wait until ‘25 to see if any of these points are addressed. Thanks for sharing!

This is the biggest one here. I keep my vehicles for a long time, so I like to configure them how I want them. In 35 years, I've never bought a vehicle off the lot.

Stephen,

Welcome new member ,welcome to the hood (neighborhood that is) I’m with you 100% thank you for your insight

This is the biggest one here. I keep my vehicles for a long time, so I like to configure them how I want them. In 35 years, I've never bought a vehicle off the lot.

With you 100%

To the point:

"On Lexus website, there needs to be an option to configure and order the car you want delivered to the dealer of your choice or to your home. My last BMW allowed me to do just that and I had a new car customized to my specs delivered within 90 days."

I've done the same with BMW and Porsche. Lexus though seems another breed. Out of the 10 or so dealers I reached out to on the west coast/CA:
1) I found none would let you build/order what you want as Lexus does not do that.
2) You cannot put your name on a car without a production VIN - no dealer would take more than $500 to me put my name on a list - and as cars are allocated they called people in order and those cars are then locked in.
3) Dealers went so far as to say they had little to no input with what Lexus assigns to them - basically they get an allocation of X models and if they want to get an luxury+ and were not assigned one, they would have to trade with another dealer.

If Lexus gave me the option to put a 10% deposit down and get the vehicle I want - I would do it immediately - but that's not how they roll sadly.

Sadly, not a single exec replied back. Seems the relentless pursuit of perfection has taken a backseat to take a number, you are one of many and get in line...

This is my first Lexus. I’m coming from three previous Porsches and it was definitely a surprise to me you can’t spec a Lexus to your liking.

What’s the point of an online configurator?

Hi, new to the Lexus game and have expressed these thoughts before. At such a high price tag, I find it incredulous you can’t configure a GX the way you want it. Regardless of how many times I’m told it is a hot car and someone will come right behind me and purchase as it. Although I don’t like it but I get they run the cars off the line with like features whether you want them or not because it works for Lexus. This I find an even more significant issue. There is a car coming from Japan which will arrive at my local dealership at the very end of June and be ready by mid July at the latest. If I want the car, I can have it. However, in addition to the really high price, there are $3500 of Port installed options. This is what I think. When my car comes off the boat DON’T put those options on the car. I don’t want them AND they obviously didn’t come off the line with them. At that juncture, I think you should be able to choose. Again, I’m lead to believe Lexus doesn’t care because someone will buy the car that way. But perhaps if enough people waiting for their cars stood their ground, it would change.

I agree, just got a luxury + with a lot of port installed options, I noticed all the GX 550’s are coming that way. I would think that the dealer would have some say about what options are installed or maybe the dealers are asking for all that.

I was lucky getting my GX, mine was the only one that made it through the QC hold.

I agree, just got a luxury + with a lot of port installed options, I noticed all the GX 550’s are coming that way. I would think that the dealer would have some say about what options are installed or maybe the dealers are asking for all that.

I was lucky getting my GX, mine was the only one that made it through the QC hold.
Just got notified from the dealership the car I saw is available now. This is the 3rd car at 2 different dealerships who have had people cancel their order ordered car. I think the price tag on the luxury +model appears to be the deal breaker most especially because when your car arrives there is an additional $3000 in extras. I still can't get my head around that. I'm certain they are making a boat load of money on the car selling at MRSP. I know why they are doing it, it just gives me pause. You are correct however, they all seem to be coming that way. Do you love our car?

Just got notified from the dealership the car I saw is available now. This is the 3rd car at 2 different dealerships who have had people cancel their order ordered car. I think the price tag on the luxury +model appears to be the deal breaker most especially because when your car arrives there is an additional $3000 in extras. I still can't get my head around that. I'm certain they are making a boat load of money on the car selling at MRSP. I know why they are doing it, it just gives me pause. You are correct however, they all seem to be coming that way. Do you love our car?
Yep, really like the car , having PPF, ceramic coat and tint done, about $1400 cheaper than the dealership. It’s my retirement car, I plan to retire in about 2.5 years.

Dealership sold at MSRP, did not try to hard sell extras, pretty painless. It did hurt to write a check for 99k. But I like not having a car payment.

Only 130 miles on car, plan of following the break in instructions in owners manual and take it easy for first 600 miles. Plan on changing oil and that time and follow a 5000 oil change interval.

If I had my choice I would have went with the 20 or 18 inch tires. The 22’s are alright but there are only three tires made in our size. Will need to step up to 275/50R-22 for good selection of tires.

Plenty of power on the highway, you get to travel real fast if you are not careful. Car is quiet, audio system is good, which it had a little more bass.

You will like it!

Hi, new to the Lexus game and have expressed these thoughts before. At such a high price tag, I find it incredulous you can’t configure a GX the way you want it. Regardless of how many times I’m told it is a hot car and someone will come right behind me and purchase as it. Although I don’t like it but I get they run the cars off the line with like features whether you want them or not because it works for Lexus. This I find an even more significant issue. There is a car coming from Japan which will arrive at my local dealership at the very end of June and be ready by mid July at the latest. If I want the car, I can have it. However, in addition to the really high price, there are $3500 of Port installed options. This is what I think. When my car comes off the boat DON’T put those options on the car. I don’t want them AND they obviously didn’t come off the line with them. At that juncture, I think you should be able to choose. Again, I’m lead to believe Lexus doesn’t care because someone will buy the car that way. But perhaps if enough people waiting for their cars stood their ground, it would change.
if your salesman is not an ass, he will let you delete/add port installed options before it gets there….

I had the rock rails deleted on mine before it got to port, and he asked if I wanted to add anything…

Sadly, not a single exec replied back. Seems the relentless pursuit of perfection has taken a backseat to take a number, you are one of many and get in line...
Why would you expect a reply from a "Lexus exec" to this pretty weird email with miscellaneous opinions from some rando who doesn"t yet own or drive the vehicle? You're delusional.

Last edited:
Why would you expect a reply from a "Lexus exec" to this pretty weird email with miscellaneous opinions from some rando who doesn"t yet own or drive the vehicle? You're delusional.
My salesman actually said Lexus is very attuned to social media. Not that you could write a long thread there or ask specific questions. Unfortunately, Lexus doesn't seem that responsive to questions directed to their corporations...nor to their dealerships.

Lucky hope it stays that way

You would expect a reply becuase it is good customer service. Retail business isn't only about servicing the customers you have but also the customers you want to acquire. If you have ever had an experience at Nordstrom's or a Four Seasons hotel you'd understand. They try to do anything to make your buying/staying experience a positive one. The experience makes you want to do business with them because you feel genuinely valued. It makes you feel like the money for which you have worked hard actually makes a difference to them.

GX550 Poll

• 1. tOny enD

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • 2. MJM

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • 3. SsgIncognito

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. bfloyd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5. Let’s Gooo!

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • 6. Widdlewadder510