GX550 Owner's Manual Published

thanks for the PDF! I was looking at roof rack weight limits, and it's about 165 lbs. This is not bad, but it's not special either. I think the LR Defender is about 2x this limit, and the newly developed and produced Grenadier can hold over 800 lbs (static). The GX has some features the Defender doesn't offer, and I think this is one area that the Grenadier absolutely knocked it clear out of the park: if you want to load a roof, you have to make the roof itself reinforced somehow. The Defender doubles what GX can do (which was a bit surprising), but both SUVs are a far, far, far distance from Grenadier. On the other hand, that's only one feature, and not likely a hugely important one for 98% of buyers. But still, I wish the load bearing capacity were higher... Personally, I do use a roof for stuff, and so I'll configure my GX Overtrail without the moonroof feature, and then fit it with a full length roof rack. But that's just me...

thanks for the PDF! I was looking at roof rack weight limits, and it's about 165 lbs. This is not bad, but it's not special either. I think the LR Defender is about 2x this limit, and the newly developed and produced Grenadier can hold over 800 lbs (static). The GX has some features the Defender doesn't offer, and I think this is one area that the Grenadier absolutely knocked it clear out of the park: if you want to load a roof, you have to make the roof itself reinforced somehow. The Defender doubles what GX can do (which was a bit surprising), but both SUVs are a far, far, far distance from Grenadier. On the other hand, that's only one feature, and not likely a hugely important one for 98% of buyers. But still, I wish the load bearing capacity were higher... Personally, I do use a roof for stuff, and so I'll configure my GX Overtrail without the moonroof feature, and then fit it with a full length roof rack. But that's just me...

That's kind of disappointing... But I also have specifically requested a moon roof delete (mainly because I always leave mine shut - I'm pale...) and I wanted to put that new Prinsu roof rack on it. Excited about the towing weights though, wonder if I'll inevitably be able to strap a motorcycle mount on the hitch lol.

That's kind of disappointing... But I also have specifically requested a moon roof delete (mainly because I always leave mine shut - I'm pale...) and I wanted to put that new Prinsu roof rack on it. Excited about the towing weights though, wonder if I'll inevitably be able to strap a motorcycle mount on the hitch lol.
I’m going to put prissy roof rack I didn’t want a moon roof but dealer only getting two overtrail+so I had little choice but if you want to use moon roof with prissy you can remove the one crossbar

the lack of "moon roof deletes" at either GX or LR manufacturing facilities, IMO has to do with capacity. Making some with a moon roof, and then some without a moon roof, it's too expensive. To get the greatest # of SUVs produced, they pick one of the variants and then that's what everyone gets. For LR, you absolutely can't get a solid roof - they apparently don't want the type of buyer that would be loading a roof. Because JLR can't make a solid roof and doesn't allow customization, they then try to say it's a "feature" and folks like it. Well, that's besides the point. The answer is that capacity constraints don't allow for customization of Defenders. The GX is likely going to have some solid roof GX OT models, but not as many maybe as folks would buy if they could. But at least the Lexus will allow some roof options for the determined and picky buyer. But the Grenadier is by far the stand out. That is truly a custom SUV. If you are not sure what a custom SUV is, go to their website and see how easy it is to configure a Grenadier. It's amazing. Defender is the opposite - it's like buying a Toyota: you get what they make and about the only thing you can do is ask your dealer to look for a Toyota in a color you like. Customization and "mass market" don't go togerther. Grenadier is not mass market - it's a buy and own long-term SUV; hence, you can customize it. Grenadier is for someone buying it outright to keep. Defender models are built for the 3 year lease and return market, so why do you care what features are on it? In between is the GX.

GX550 Poll

• 1. tOny enD

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • 2. MJM

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • 3. SsgIncognito

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. bfloyd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5. Let’s Gooo!

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • 6. Widdlewadder510