Hitch receiver on the GX550

R!ck

Feb 9, 2024
Wisconsin
Hitch receiver on the GX550 looks to be pretty much in a hole, to the point where it’s questionable whether you will be able to fit a locking hitch pin in much less a standard one. Can anyone out there on the west coast (where I hear they are appearing on dealer lots) verify this? Thanks.

I forgot they showed this in the video but user “newcarshoppingsucks” shared in on another forum.

fast forward to about 7:00 mark to see some real world hitch pin details. hopefully it helps you.

TFL GX550 Towing

It’s certainly a less than ideal situation.

I’m hoping the aftermarket comes up with a better solution than the stock cover/cowl

Hopefully what TFL showed on the hitch and cover was pre-production, as the GX they tested was pre-production. We can only hope they revised that cover which is kind of ugly not to mention sliding that pin in looks to really suck.

Not sure if this helps but this is what the cover looks like

Attachments

• 20240417_183010.jpg
    20240417_183010.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 192
thanks for the picture, it does look a little more defined that what I saw earlier. But sliding that lock pin in is still in question, don’t want to have to remove all that plastic just to put the pin in.

Here's a snapshot of a GX in the Philippines with a much better valance cover for the trailer hitch. Why this was not standard in the US is beyond me. What Lexus gave us stateside is an aesthetic nightmare.

Attachments

• GX Phillipines.jpg
    GX Phillipines.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 203
Here's a snapshot of a GX in the Philippines with a much better valance cover for the trailer hitch. Why this was not standard in the US is beyond me. What Lexus gave us stateside is an aesthetic nightmare.
Does that GX even have a receiver? Haha

I like how that looks. Not sure if there’s a hitch receiver on that vehicle. Maybe there’s an illusive part number for this valance that isn’t offered in America

This is what the hitch looks like on my Jeep GC Summit. A quarter twist of 2 screws and the cover comes off. You can use a screwdriver or coin.
Underneath and easily accessible is the receiver, 6/7 way round and 4 way flat connector.
I had to add a brake controller which always makes me wonder why Lexus would include a factory controller (which is great) and put seemingly little thought into the looks and functionality of the hitch.

Attachments

• Image.jpeg
    Image.jpeg
    125.5 KB · Views: 152

GX550 Poll

• 1. tOny enD

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • 2. MJM

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • 3. SsgIncognito

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. bfloyd