I Drove One Today

Yianni

Mar 15, 2024
Idaho
Seeing on the forums the GX 550 is starting to land I called a local dealer to see if they had one I could look at. They said they had 1 and they were using it for test drives. They said come early as it was gone more than there yesterday.
We went and only one couple ahead of us. It was the Premium trim level.

All I can say is I loved it. Fun to drive, lots of power. The HUD is pretty cool too and I was able to verify the integrated brake controller which is something I've really wanted in a new vehicle.
The ride was smooth, powerful and just fun to drive. I test drove a Sequoia, Audi SQ7 and MB. They were all ok but after my test drive today I'm sold.

I'll be getting a Luxury + in white w/black interior at some point when things die down a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_1151.jpeg
    IMG_1151.jpeg
    313.2 KB · Views: 410
  • IMG_1150.jpeg
    IMG_1150.jpeg
    247.9 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_1149.jpeg
    IMG_1149.jpeg
    241.6 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG_1148.jpeg
    IMG_1148.jpeg
    227.6 KB · Views: 352
Seeing on the forums the GX 550 is starting to land I called a local dealer to see if they had one I could look at. They said they had 1 and they were using it for test drives. They said come early as it was gone more than there yesterday.
We went and only one couple ahead of us. It was the Premium trim level.

All I can say is I loved it. Fun to drive, lots of power. The HUD is pretty cool too and I was able to verify the integrated brake controller which is something I've really wanted in a new vehicle.
The ride was smooth, powerful and just fun to drive. I test drove a Sequoia, Audi SQ7 and MB. They were all ok but after my test drive today I'm sold.

I'll be getting a Luxury + in white w/black interior at some point when things die down a bit.

That must have been fun! How was the body roll and did it drive smaller than its size as per the YouTube reviews?

That must have been fun! How was the body roll and did it drive smaller than its size as per the YouTube reviews?
You're exactly right. It was a lot of fun to drive.
I didn't feel any body roll but I wasn't thinking to look for it. The reviewers are right. It drives much smaller and fits in the lane very well. That struck me immediately. When I test drove the Sequoia I felt like I didn't have much room to spare in the lane. GX 550 has a much better feel.

Lol we drove the very same truck today. I had an 11am appointment, and there were already a few before me. Agreed, it was great, put my deposit down and they said 4-6 months is realistic (PP+ with captain's chairs). I had a similar wait for my BRZ, so no stranger to waiting.

53651369717_b7f629b507_c.jpg

Haven't bought a new (family) car in 16 years, which I still have. Not a bad looking car for 240k miles. I supposed I have CA climate to thank for that:

53652592589_3da4f85a2f_c.jpg

Gonna be awesome when it gets here!

Last edited:
Lol we drove the very same truck today. I had an 11am appointment, and there were already a few before me. Agreed, it was great, put my deposit down and they said 4-6 months is realistic (PP+ with captain's chairs). I had a similar wait for my BRZ, so no stranger to waiting.

53651369717_b7f629b507_c.jpg

Haven't bought a new (family) car in 16 years, which I still have. Not a bad looking car for 240k miles. I supposed I have CA climate to thank for that:

53652592589_3da4f85a2f_c.jpg

Gonna be awesome when it gets here!
We missed you by a half hour. Congratulations on your incoming GX. We'll be about the same timeframe or longer.
I'm hoping Lexus will rework the trailer hitch cover. On my Jeep GC it's hidden very nicely into the rear bumper but that's a minor detail I can live with.

Thanks. I agree that can use some work. But it appears that’s just an injection-molded part, so an aftermarket solution won’t be too far behind.

No clue on the gas recommendation. I was so excited to drive and sign some papers that I forgot to look. But super happy MSRP dealers are still around. Lexus Concord, I’m (not) looking at you.

Last edited:
That's good to know! I'll call around and see if I can find a demo near me this week.

I heard, somewhere!!!, that 91 is RECOMMENDED (but not required)(and that recommends is the verbiage in the owners manual). If that’s the case, I will only use 91 when towing my 21’ boat. (I’m a light footed guy………if I want a sporty drive I grab one of our electrics).

All that will happen is the car will retard timing and you will likely use more fuel by sitting on a sub optimal map.

Spend money on premium, spend money on worse mileage.

Pick your poison.

Allocations for the Premium Plus are starting to come into the dealership mentioned in this thread (Lexus Pleasanton Nor Cal). My guy is sending me the ones closest to my choices, so I'll post the ones I say no to here. If it's what you want, I'm sure they wouldn't say no to you if you walked in ready to spend. Or at least to get an idea of the factory and port options that are tacked on.

04/18: PP in white - Toyota

I was able to test drive a Premium+ today in NJ. I was only able to spend about 10 minutes with it as there was a line of people waiting to test it. Seems to have plenty of power and drives 'small'. Pretty smooth on our crumbling roads. The one thing that will take getting used to, is the mirrors. I'm not sure if it's the size, shape or placement.

GX550 Poll

• 1. tOny enD

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • 2. MJM

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • 3. SsgIncognito

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. bfloyd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5. Let’s Gooo!

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • 6. Widdlewadder510