Lexus GX550 vs. the Toyota Land Cruiser - a side by side comparison

2024-lexus-gx-colors-9-6488a99701031.jpg

If you are like us you are constantly comparing the the Lexus GX 550 and the Toyota Land Cruiser. TFL posted up this handy chart to give you a side by side comparison. Of course some of these numbers aren't currently known so they have some estimates in there. Still, a handy little chart none the less.

2024 Toyota Land Cruiser vs. Lexus GX 550: Charting the numbers

Toyota Land CruiserLexus GX 550
Engine2.4-liter I-4 Hybrid3.4-liter Twin-turbo V6
Transmission8-speed automatic10-speed automatic
Horsepower326349
Torque(lb-ft)465479
Fuel Economy(mpg)27* (Manufacturer estimated)17* (Manufacturer estimated)
Towing Capacity(pounds)6,0008,000 (Premium, Overtrail)
Overall Length(inches)193.7197.0
Height(inches)73.276.2 (Overtrail)
Width(inches)– with mirrors84.283.2
Wheelbase (inches)112.2112.2
Ground Clearance (inches)8.7TBA
Approach Angle (degrees)31 (1958 trim: 30 deg.)26
Breakover Angle (degrees)2524 (Overtrail; other models 23 deg.)
Departure Angle (degrees)2222 (Overtrail; Premium 23 deg.; Luxury 21 deg.)
Projected MSRP~$55,000 (for base 1958 model)~$60,000 (Overtrail: ~$75,000)

Source: 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser vs. Lexus GX 550: Which One Is Right for You?

Knowing now that I will be purchasing the Overtrail+ based on the public announcement and above stats. At some point I would like to learn the following on the GX550 Overtrail. We have time to wait as they won't arrive until next year.

GVW -
Size brakes -
Type of oil filter, spin on or cannister and location. Oil capacity.
Sealed transmission?
Does it have two intake air filters? (Photos of engine look like it?)
What accessories are compatible with the Landcruiser.

Rant: I was really hoping the Landcruiser would come with a V-6 gas engine and not the 4 cylinder hybrid. The price would have been less than the Lexus... I just can't bring myself to buy a 4 cylinder-hybrid, 6K towing, non e-kdss, vehicle. I do like the non-third row seat, like the Overtrail.

Thanks for any information you can share or find. Gunner

Lack of rear swaybar disconnect on the LC is a step backwards, although probably 0.0001% of owners need it.

Love the fuel economy on the LC, but the extra hump it brings in the back is a shame.

Which hump?
If you look behind the second row of seats in the videos you can see that the rear portion is a few inches higher. That must be where the hybrid battery is housed (similar to other Toyotas with this frame). It’s probably the reason there isn’t a third row option on the LC.

If you look behind the second row of seats in the videos you can see that the rear portion is a few inches higher. That must be where the hybrid battery is housed (similar to other Toyotas with this frame). It’s probably the reason there isn’t a third row option on the LC.
Ahh, I had never noticed that!

Is the "hump" you're referring to the initial shelf that starts just behind the rear gate latch? It's shown in the video below at about the 15:40 mark.

I think that hump is only a concern if you want a 3rd row. Otherwise, I don't think it's too bad. Also, I would prefer the turbo 4 hybrid for the mpg and much better range. I may end up with the LC because of that... and price of the GX. It would be a toss up for me if the GX premium lands at 65k.

I think that hump is only a concern if you want a 3rd row. Otherwise, I don't think it's too bad. Also, I would prefer the turbo 4 hybrid for the mpg and much better range. I may end up with the LC because of that... and price of the GX. It would be a toss up for me if the GX premium lands at 65k.
I'm guessing the GX Premium will come in 65K, or a tad above. However, it it much better appointed/equipped than the 1954, the latter being a real econobox in my opinion.

I'm guessing the GX Premium will come in 65K, or a tad above. However, it it much better appointed/equipped than the 1954, the latter being a real econobox in my opinion.
That's the thing though, the Land Cruiser premium (mid grade) would be right around 65k. I might take that over the GX premium since I like the turbo 4 hybrid more. My other concern is dealer mark ups. Any thoughts on that front?

That's the thing though, the Land Cruiser premium (mid grade) would be right around 65k. I might take that over the GX premium since I like the turbo 4 hybrid more. My other concern is dealer mark ups. Any thoughts on that front?
Sore subject, markup's, our closet dealer saying they would tack $10K on for a First Edition. However, better folks down the road 30 miles, being very proud of no markups. The local dealer has free washes for the life of ownership, but they are not that valuable, and it is a minimal wash to begin with. And yes, agreed, I really want the turbo 4 hybrid, primarily for economy, about 10 MPG better, and on regular fuel.

Last edited:
Sore subject, markup's, our closet dealer saying they would tack $10K on for a First Edition. However, better folks down the road 30 miles, being very proud of no markups. The local dealer has free washes for the life of ownership, but they are not that valuable, and it is a minimal wash to begin with. And yes, agreed, I really want the turbo 4 hybrid, primarily for economy, about 10 MPG better, and on regular fuel.
I think the power and driving differences will be neglegible. These are good size suvs and will drive as as such. I'd prefer having longer range on my trips. I'm not in a rush to buy, so am not willing to pay dealer mark up.

I am really anxious to see the options available for the "Land Cruiser" trim. Hopefully there are many, as Lexus has SIX trim levels, and a few options one can add. I am surprised, and not mildly, that a Trailhunter or TRD Pro variant was not announced. As mentioned previously, so as not to compete with the TRD Pro 4Runner?

I am really anxious to see the options available for the "Land Cruiser" trim. Hopefully there are many, as Lexus has SIX trim levels, and a few options one can add. I am surprised, and not mildly, that a Trailhunter or TRD Pro variant was not announced. As mentioned previously, so as not to compete with the TRD Pro 4Runner?
Is the LC larger than the 4runner? I need the width for my 3 girls. The other vehicle we're entertaining is the TX 500. But that's a distant third.

GX550 Poll

• 1. tOny enD

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • 2. MJM

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • 3. SsgIncognito

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. bfloyd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5. Let’s Gooo!

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • 6. Widdlewadder510