Lexus GX550 vs. the Toyota Land Cruiser - a side by side comparison

2024-lexus-gx-colors-9-6488a99701031.jpg

If you are like us you are constantly comparing the the Lexus GX 550 and the Toyota Land Cruiser. TFL posted up this handy chart to give you a side by side comparison. Of course some of these numbers aren't currently known so they have some estimates in there. Still, a handy little chart none the less.

2024 Toyota Land Cruiser vs. Lexus GX 550: Charting the numbers

Toyota Land CruiserLexus GX 550
Engine2.4-liter I-4 Hybrid3.4-liter Twin-turbo V6
Transmission8-speed automatic10-speed automatic
Horsepower326349
Torque(lb-ft)465479
Fuel Economy(mpg)27* (Manufacturer estimated)17* (Manufacturer estimated)
Towing Capacity(pounds)6,0008,000 (Premium, Overtrail)
Overall Length(inches)193.7197.0
Height(inches)73.276.2 (Overtrail)
Width(inches)– with mirrors84.283.2
Wheelbase (inches)112.2112.2
Ground Clearance (inches)8.7TBA
Approach Angle (degrees)31 (1958 trim: 30 deg.)26
Breakover Angle (degrees)2524 (Overtrail; other models 23 deg.)
Departure Angle (degrees)2222 (Overtrail; Premium 23 deg.; Luxury 21 deg.)
Projected MSRP~$55,000 (for base 1958 model)~$60,000 (Overtrail: ~$75,000)

Source: 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser vs. Lexus GX 550: Which One Is Right for You?

I think that hump is only a concern if you want a 3rd row. Otherwise, I don't think it's too bad. Also, I would prefer the turbo 4 hybrid for the mpg and much better range. I may end up with the LC because of that... and price of the GX. It would be a toss up for me if the GX premium lands at 65k.
I will be looking hard at both.

Except the Overtrail trims, the GX 20" and 22" wheels are just not suitable for any off-roading to speak of, even casual. So, those would have to be swapped for less than a pittance. Yes, agreed, the V6 on the GX will likely get dismal MPG, but hopefully a tad better than the Tundra, which is 22/17/19. So, can we maybe postulate highway economy for the GX at, say, 23? If so, possibly/wishfully not that much difference between the V6 and I4, at, again just guessing, 27 highway. Of course the GX will like premium fuel. Speaking of off-roading, hopefully a pre-production unit, a recent video of an Overtrail underside indicated a serious lack of skid-plate protection. Cannot get over how much I like the interior of the GX compared to the LC, but that is strictly subjective. Another consideration, the GX will be solely produced in the Tahara plant, whereas the LC will be put together at both Tahara and Hino, the former enjoying a better reputation.

Anyone has the dealer's Product Guide for the Land Cruiser?

That's the thing though, the Land Cruiser premium (mid grade) would be right around 65k. I might take that over the GX premium since I like the turbo 4 hybrid more. My other concern is dealer mark ups. Any thoughts on that front?
I'd expect dealer gouging and markups to at some point iron out. On a first edition, maybe. But the GX can get to over $80k, and at some point, it's competing with Mercedes and BMW and even a slightly used but the full sized RR. The Defender is already competitive on pricing, and feature wise, it's pretty good comp as well. At some point, I think dealers will have their shipments and they are going to have to sell from inventory. It's unlikely to be discounting the way other models need to (like Highlenders - those are widgets - but gouging? I suspect after a year of deliveries to the US, the GX will be like the Defender: there's enough available to choose from on lots throughout the country. If Lexus wants to sell the GX in any quantity here, it has to fill up the dealer inventory, and that's a good check on gouging. (A restricted model of distribution is the G Wagon. If you want one, there's not many to choose from at dealers. But even on those, it's MSRP, no gouging. The dealer makes bags of money on servicing the G, so why start off that type of evergreen revenue with a poke in the eye? The G is expensive because of their limited production. If Mercedes made more, the prices would likely come down as dealers would then need to find buyers.) I have no issues with G Wagons, but it's not a Defender. The GX is going to go head to head with Defender, and to do that, the GX needs volumes. The Defender sells well, so compete, you need to make and sell the GX in volume.

I'd expect dealer gouging and markups to at some point iron out. On a first edition, maybe. But the GX can get to over $80k, and at some point, it's competing with Mercedes and BMW and even a slightly used but the full sized RR. The Defender is already competitive on pricing, and feature wise, it's pretty good comp as well. At some point, I think dealers will have their shipments and they are going to have to sell from inventory. It's unlikely to be discounting the way other models need to (like Highlenders - those are widgets - but gouging? I suspect after a year of deliveries to the US, the GX will be like the Defender: there's enough available to choose from on lots throughout the country. If Lexus wants to sell the GX in any quantity here, it has to fill up the dealer inventory, and that's a good check on gouging. (A restricted model of distribution is the G Wagon. If you want one, there's not many to choose from at dealers. But even on those, it's MSRP, no gouging. The dealer makes bags of money on servicing the G, so why start off that type of evergreen revenue with a poke in the eye? The G is expensive because of their limited production. If Mercedes made more, the prices would likely come down as dealers would then need to find buyers.) I have no issues with G Wagons, but it's not a Defender. The GX is going to go head to head with Defender, and to do that, the GX needs volumes. The Defender sells well, so compete, you need to make and sell the GX in volume.
I've found a local dealer who doesn't do markups. I'm on the waitlist, but the list is long. Other dealers promise quicker results but will add 5-10k in markup. I'll wait, on principle alone. Would be hard to enjoy a product that you know you had to bend over and get the shaft for.

I've found a local dealer who doesn't do markups. I'm on the waitlist, but the list is long. Other dealers promise quicker results but will add 5-10k in markup. I'll wait, on principle alone. Would be hard to enjoy a product that you know you had to bend over and get the shaft for.
I'd agree: not only wait out the dealers marking up, but just avoid them completely. An economic recession is a wonderful time to buy a new luxury SUV. Can't say when that happens, of course, but dealer strength is ultimately subject to economic reality and circumstances of potential buyers. At $70-$80k, for perspective, that's way over a BMW X5 and probably double the price of a Tesla Model Y (their closest version of an SUV).

GX550 Poll

• 1. tOny enD

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • 2. MJM

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • 3. SsgIncognito

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. bfloyd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5. Let’s Gooo!

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • 6. Widdlewadder510