May 9th, 2024: One year wait (or more) from today

zh2oson

Apr 25, 2024
Pasadena, CA
I'm new to the Lexus GX party. To be honest, Lexus has never been on my radar and I've never found any model interesting or enticing...until the 2024 GX550.

I'm still not sure I'll get one, but after connecting with a no-markup dealer here in Southern California (Longo), I just put down a fully-refundable deposit for an Overtrail. The salesperson told me not to expect any availability for at least a year. My circumstances dictate that I'll need a new car this fall, so I'm not quite sure how this will all play out. Maybe something shakes free sooner; maybe I buy something completely different. Crazy times.

Anyway, I thought I'd share this info with the board.

It does seem that, at least locally, this vehicle is going to be a smash hit.

I'm new to the Lexus GX party. To be honest, Lexus has never been on my radar and I've never found any model interesting or enticing...until the 2024 GX550.

I'm still not sure I'll get one, but after connecting with a no-markup dealer here in Southern California (Longo), I just put down a fully-refundable deposit for an Overtrail. The salesperson told me not to expect any availability for at least a year. My circumstances dictate that I'll need a new car this fall, so I'm not quite sure how this will all play out. Maybe something shakes free sooner; maybe I buy something completely different. Crazy times.

Anyway, I thought I'd share this info with the board.

It does seem that, at least locally, this vehicle is going to be a smash hit.
Welcome to the hood neighborhood that is I ordered mine APRIL 16, CAN YOU LOOKout your window facing the port potential let me know if you see my GX 550 ABOUT OVERTRAIL + in the lot ty

That's funny, I'm in the same boat. Went to test drive the GX last week (liked it, but honestly expected more, particularly from the tinny door closure and blandtastic/co-op designed dash for $70k). Ready to put down a deposit, but I DON"T want heads up or traffic assist. Dealer said that's not possible on the traffic assist, and no one can custom order options right now. Everything at MSRP except Overtrail is $2500 over. I'll spare everyone from the old man rant of no longer being able to spec a car.

Welcome to the hood neighborhood that is I ordered mine APRIL 16, CAN YOU LOOKout your window facing the port potential let me know if you see my GX 550 ABOUT OVERTRAIL + in the lot ty
Sure. What color is yours? I'll let you know when I see it. ;)

FWIW, one of the local dealers here in DFW TX said that they're getting in more vehicles in than they expected. My guess is your wait won't be quite as long of a wait as they're projecting.
I think that's a possibility and, frankly, appreciate the dealer potentially "under-promising and over-delivering" with regards to expectations.

I'm also wondering if a broker might help secure one somewhere else in the country and then have it shipped?

That's funny, I'm in the same boat. Went to test drive the GX last week (liked it, but honestly expected more, particularly from the tinny door closure and blandtastic/co-op designed dash for $70k). Ready to put down a deposit, but I DON"T want heads up or traffic assist. Dealer said that's not possible on the traffic assist, and no one can custom order options right now. Everything at MSRP except Overtrail is $2500 over. I'll spare everyone from the old man rant of no longer being able to spec a car.
I'm also looking at a Defender. The local LR dealer here in Pasadena will allow a spec order but it's a four-month wait.

When safety is concerned it always something they can’t change I MO and advice coming from an older person it will be worth it,you really don’t want to need it but if that times come you will be greatful

Incognito over trail plus ty
Binnoculars.gif

I picked up my Premium Plus last Friday so what I learned about Traffic Jam Assist is if you drive in heavy traffic or someone in your family is driving your GX it is a very nice backup system. I contacted my insurance company and they did not offer any benefit for having "TJA" to reduce my cost. Amazing since they wanted to know if I had directional headlights. So if my daughter or spouse are driving in traffic with the grandkids (distraction) this system is beneficial... my two sense!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum @zh2oson - I touched base with a few dealers around me and already received calls of units that are coming available due to customers backing out. It also appears Lexus is on the ball with production and deliveries are coming in sooner then expected.

Out here, the issue is that the no-markup places have huge waits. There are vehicles available more quickly for a fee. And, not an insignificant fee at that!
A couple of days ago a friend told me he was contacted by a salesperson in Louisiana regarding a White OverTrail available in June. He asked me to look at his offer sheet to see if there was a markup. Under dealer adjustments there was a charge for $9,995, suffice to say he will wait for next years model…

I think that's a possibility and, frankly, appreciate the dealer potentially "under-promising and over-delivering" with regards to expectations.

I'm also wondering if a broker might help secure one somewhere else in the country and then have it shipped?
Ty not keen on brokers when you add more hands in the pot things sometimes get more frustrating. I guess I’m just gonna have to tough it out, but thank you for your input.

GX550 Poll

• 1. tOny enD

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • 2. MJM

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • 3. SsgIncognito

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. bfloyd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5. Let’s Gooo!

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • 6. Widdlewadder510