squeezing 34s on GX550?

I am a proponent of always trying out different wheels and tires on my other cars, but I’ve been recently siding with the “oem is best” camp for this new GX.

I really think that upsizing the wheel/tire will cause more harm than staying oem in my opinion; more nvh, less articulation, worse mpg, premature suspension wear. In my eyes I believe it aesthetically looks cooler than oem to have a nice big tire on it, but at what cost will this have?

What I would really like to see is a forged wheel that is in oem specs and a 34/35 inch tire that only raises the height by 1.5mm or so. To avoid losses in articulation and maintaining full KDSS.

*mind you I overhauled all my cars suspension and have experience with regretting these decisions, I really believe this new GX can do most things with just front/rear bumper clearance and upgrading the dealer AT to a true AT.

* edit, those wheels are 17s! Forget what said lol! If you can downsize the wheel and inch and get more tire and get as close to oem sizing I think it’s a no brainer for this mod. Might be even comfier with this route!

Last edited:
I very much agree. A mild increase in tire size, perhaps a 275, in a true AT would be fine especially on the Overtrail. I was hoping to keep my custom 17" wheels from my 5th gen 4Runner but the offset (without checking I think it's a 0 or -6 mm) would be too extreme on the GX. I've learned the hard way on three 4Runners over the years that less is best with suspension, wheel and tire mods, for me anyway. I think I've got it right for my 2022 4Runner ORP. I do like the Overtrail however and am on the wait list here in Colorado.

Last edited:
Those 34's are tight to the back of the front wheel wells. It looks like 35-inch tires are going to take some work to fit.

Those 34's are tight to the back of the front wheel wells. It looks like 35-inch tires are going to take some work to fit.
They mocked it up with a +0 wheel. It’s going to be tight. Braid makes forged wheels with the option to spec your offset. If you got a 17x7.5 +50 and put a 285 tire on it you would have the same distance from oem and clearance.

The question is, would you want to spend over 4k on a forged wheel and save a little unsprung weight, then adding a true AT for just half an inch more tire, give up some nvh and ride quality, or just stick to the OEM? That’s the bigger question
Albeit the 17 with bigger tire does look cooler, so that’s a factor as well haha

The question is, would you want to spend over 4k on a forged wheel and save a little unsprung weight, then adding a true AT for just half an inch more tire, give up some nvh and ride quality, or just stick to the OEM? That’s the bigger question
Well it would be a lot less than that with careful shopping and selling the OEM tires. But ultimately it might be worth it. Let the mods begin!

GX550 Poll

• 1. tOny enD

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • 2. MJM

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • 3. SsgIncognito

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. bfloyd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5. Let’s Gooo!

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • 6. Widdlewadder510