GX Wannabe

sherrie728

May 21, 2024
Langhorne, PA
This is my 2nd try at this. I thought I sent this yesterday. Try #2

I have never owned a Lexus but was hit by hit and run driver and my Honda Pilot was totaled. My Pilot was a 2012 so I was planning on buying a new vehicle , this just accelerated the time line. I’m fairly certain I will be purchasing a Lexus GX. My off roading will be minimal but from the first time I saw the car, I wanted it. I drove it on Saturday. Salesman was kind of a tool. I was asking about options on the car and he said if you want to build your car from the ground up, BMW is for you….so much for the Lexus experience. This is my question, I really wanted a Premium plus model but think the tires looks small. Additionally I was obsessed with the panaramic moon roof system I thought the Luxury + was going to be my trim level. Two issues: 1) The automatic side boards are an absolute NO! Dangerous for little feet and dog paws, plus I find them unattractive. I asked about having them removed and the normal running boards placed and my sales person said they cannot make alterations on cars. . Huh??? You are the frickin car manufacturer!! He said he’d get back to me…5 days later, crickets. I called Lexus and they referred me back to the dealer. Does anyone know? If it can’t be done, i’ll opt for the premium plus and take the loss of the panoramic moonroof on the chin:(Additionally, there was about $3000 worth of added BS on the car. How can you buy the highest trim level and NEED $3000 worth of extras. If I order a car, can I tell them I don’t want the extras??

Toyota and Lexus do not allow customers to "order" a vehicle, EVER. Dealers don't even get to "order" vehicles. They are notified what is going to be built, and about all they can request is a specific color to match a customer's "wants" to the particular vehicle that will be built. And that means you may not get exactly what you wanted, and need to be a little flexible when dealing with Lexus and Toyota. Eventually, a dealer can get your "wants" and put in a "preference", hoping that the manufacturer may build a vehicle that closely matches, but not this early in the brand new to the entire world GX initial delivery phase. You are looking at a vehicle at the very beginning of it's initial launch, with a backlog of tons of customers on waiting lists nationwide, so there is going to be absolutely NONE, to very little that a dealer is willing to do for you right now aside from letting you know that the vehicle they happened to get matches what you want - they can't get enough as it is, and they're all about getting these brand new vehicles into the hands of a very few of the many customers on the list. The plant in Japan is trying to crank out as many vehicles as possible, typically with loaded up option packages, so that they can recoup as much money as possible as quickly as possible - EVERY manufacturer does this nowadays with brand new models. Then there are the port installed options, where the port is also loading up options to make as much money as possible initially. Their attitude is "if you are wanting to be one of the first buyers in line, then you're gonna pay, because there is no shortage of customers waiting out there". It will take some time, but once there is enough stock at dealerships nationwide, then the manufacturer will start building more of the lesser optioned packages, and more variations, and the ports will start working more with dealerships regarding the port installed options. But even when things are rolling along and there is plenty of nationwide inventory, the dealer has a very small window to make adjustments on the port installed options, as the port's task is to get as many vehicles through and onto delivery trucks as quickly as possible - they are extremely efficient and move VERY quickly. If you "need" a vehicle "right now", and "want" the new GX, then you're going to have to pay up.

I have a luxury + at Portland being prepared for delivery, should be in a week or two. I have about 4 k in port installed options.

All the GX’s at the dealership have similar port installed options. Not to much different between trim levels.

Bought the extended warranty OTD about 99k.

I would think that it would be possible to remove the power steps and replace them.

It may be a few months before accessories for the GX are out.

Why are the automatic running boards dangerous? Of course you can remove them if you really want to

And the tires "look small"? can you elaborate?

Toyota and Lexus haven't offered the ability to order a vehicle to your exact specifications for a long time now. That's just how it is. Sucks, but it is what it is.

Toyota and Lexus do not allow customers to "order" a vehicle, EVER. Dealers don't even get to "order" vehicles. They are notified what is going to be built, and about all they can request is a specific color to match a customer's "wants" to the particular vehicle that will be built. And that means you may not get exactly what you wanted, and need to be a little flexible when dealing with Lexus and Toyota. Eventually, a dealer can get your "wants" and put in a "preference", hoping that the manufacturer may build a vehicle that closely matches, but not this early in the brand new to the entire world GX initial delivery phase. You are looking at a vehicle at the very beginning of it's initial launch, with a backlog of tons of customers on waiting lists nationwide, so there is going to be absolutely NONE, to very little that a dealer is willing to do for you right now aside from letting you know that the vehicle they happened to get matches what you want - they can't get enough as it is, and they're all about getting these brand new vehicles into the hands of a very few of the many customers on the list. The plant in Japan is trying to crank out as many vehicles as possible, typically with loaded up option packages, so that they can recoup as much money as possible as quickly as possible - EVERY manufacturer does this nowadays with brand new models. Then there are the port installed options, where the port is also loading up options to make as much money as possible initially. Their attitude is "if you are wanting to be one of the first buyers in line, then you're gonna pay, because there is no shortage of customers waiting out there". It will take some time, but once there is enough stock at dealerships nationwide, then the manufacturer will start building more of the lesser optioned packages, and more variations, and the ports will start working more with dealerships regarding the port installed options. But even when things are rolling along and there is plenty of nationwide inventory, the dealer has a very small window to make adjustments on the port installed options, as the port's task is to get as many vehicles through and onto delivery trucks as quickly as possible - they are extremely efficient and move VERY quickly. If you "need" a vehicle "right now", and "want" the new GX, then you're going to have to pay up.
Thanks so much for the info. I don’t mean to be a dolt but what does port installed mean? I thought the extra options are dealer installed
Why are the automatic running boards dangerous? Of course you can remove them if you really want to

And the tires "look small"? can you elaborate?

Toyota and Lexus haven't offered the ability to order a vehicle to your exact specifications for a long time now. That's just how it is. Sucks, but it is what it is.
On the Premium trim there is a vast amount of space between the top of the tire and the wheel well. I’m certain that is to accommodate the bigger tires on the other trim levels.
As for the automatic running boards, they descend on metal prongs which attach it to the car. There is a gap between the end of the car and the running board. With a smaller adult ( like my elderly mother) the toe of the shoe could slip thru if the running boards were wet. However, I saw 2 postings of people with GXs with children who said their feet could actually get stuck in the gap as well as the automatic running boards are short on the 2nd row door. So when one exits the 2nd row backward ( like children often do & I actually have when removing things from the back seat) when you place your foot there is no running board or you are just hitting the tip. Not specifically with Lexus but posts about other automatic running boards have said their dog’s paw actually got stuck when entering the car. And there definitely is ample space for that to occur. We frequently travel with our dogs and I certainly don’t want to have a problem when for 12 years I had a car with regularly attached running boards and never had an issue. I am a nurse practitioner and I fully adhere to the notion both dogs and children find a way to make the most innocuous things problematic without even trying😂😂
As for not ordering a car with your own specifications, it beyond sucks! I can order a $100 bouquet of flowers and specify every detail of what I want. Perhaps I’m naive but as a customer purchasing something which is the 2nd largest expenditure of money after a house, the fact we allow an industry to tell us the buyer, what we can have borders on insanity. Although that is the reality, I can still find the concept totally baffling.

Ill sell you my running boards since I'm planning to buy an aftermarket rock sliders
I’d be thrilled to purchase your running boards! I just need to make sure I can put them on after removing the automatic running boards. If I cannot do that I’ll be getting a trim level with the regular running boards. I’ll keep you posted. Since purchasing this vehicle appears to be a crap shoot, I guess when it arrives I’ll know😂

Thanks so much for the info. I don’t mean to be a dolt but what does port installed mean? I thought the extra options are dealer installed

All import manufacturers that do not have US factories, ship their vehicles through ports of entry into the US. Each manufacturer has a facility at each port, or close by, that installs a certain amount of options/accessories prior to putting vehicles on rail and/or trucks to head out to dealers. Sometimes, SOME accessories can be installed at dealerships, but the bulk of non-factory installed options/accessories are done at the port facilities. For example, Southeast Toyota is a port that handles a 5 state region, and will install wheels, tires, lifts or levelling kits onto Tacomas and Tundras. They then print a new manufacturer's window sticker with those items listed, and those become part of the vehicle, and subject to the bumper-to-bumper limited warranty.

Thank you. I did not know that. It adds alot of money to the car for things I’d never choose. I guess it’s a good way to make money, especially on cars in great demand

GX550 Poll

• 1. tOny enD

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • 2. MJM

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • 3. SsgIncognito

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. bfloyd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5. Let’s Gooo!

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • 6. Widdlewadder510