New car

sherrie728

May 21, 2024
Langhorne, PA
I have never owned a Lexus but was hit by hit and run driver and my Honda Pilot was totaled. My Pilot was a 2012 so I was planning on buying a new vehicle , this just accelerated the time line. I’m fairly certain I will be purchasing a Lexus GX. My off roading will be minimal but from the first time I saw the car, I wanted it. I drove it on Saturday. Salesman was kind of a tool. I was asking about options on the car and he said if you want to build your car from the ground up, BMW is for you….so much for the Lexus experience. This is my question, I really wanted a Premium plus model but think the tires looks small. Additionally I was obsessed with the panaramic moon roof system I thought the Luxury + was going to be my trim level. Two issues: 1) The automatic side boards are an absolute NO! Dangerous for little feet and dog paws, plus I find them unattractive. I asked about having them removed and the normal running boards placed and my sales person said they cannot make alterations on cars. . Huh??? You are the frickin car manufacturer!! He said he’d get back to me…5 days later, crickets. I called Lexus and they referred me back to the dealer. Does anyone know? If it can’t be done, i’ll opt for the premium plus and take the loss of the panoramic moonroof on the chin:(Additionally, there was about $3000 worth of added BS on the car. How can you buy the highest trim level and NEED $3000 worth of extras. If I order a car, can I tell them I don’t want the extras??

Longtime Lexus owner here (among other brands) and it has always been a challenge for us to get exactly the options we want since Toyota in general does not customize their vehicles. We choose from the available inventory, or we give our desired options to the dealer and they call us if an allocation comes in with most of the options we are looking for. This has been the process for our last four Lexus vehicles. I believe some buyers might have been able to custom-order a model exactly to their tastes but we have never been able to do it (I know, it's a lot different from many other manufacturers - for example, I customized a Jeep Rubicon and got exactly my spec.)

In terms of dealer-installed items like roof racks and additional, unwanted features (ie. the added BS that a lot of dealers are currently including) - the GX 550 is currently a very in-demand model so many (if not most) dealers have no incentive to make changes, because they have a line of buyers and someone will come along and pay the asking price including the options you don't want, and drive off with it that same day.

Are you currently on the waitlist for the specific dealer you visited, and was the GX 550 you tested being offered to you? If you are already on their waitlist and the test drive was to gauge your interest, the only choice you have in the current market is to buy it or wait. They are not likely to make any changes to the options, including any additional stuff that you don't want or need. Like most people, I would probably go to a different dealer that doesn't add costs above MSRP.

If you aren't on a waitlist currently, you will probably be waiting for some time (some folks are saying at least until next year) while the market cools down, at which point there will be more GX 550s available. When demand is lower, dealers will be more flexible.

Reactions: MJE
I watched a YouTube video on a GX 550 Luxury + some time ago. I seem to remember the reviewer saying there was a switch to shut off the running boards if you didn't want them to auto retract and extend. It's been a while so I may be wrong. Hopefully someone with a Luxury + can verify.

Longtime Lexus owner here (among other brands) and it has always been a challenge for us to get exactly the options we want since Toyota in general does not customize their vehicles. We choose from the available inventory, or we give our desired options to the dealer and they call us if an allocation comes in with most of the options we are looking for. This has been the process for our last four Lexus vehicles. I believe some buyers might have been able to custom-order a model exactly to their tastes but we have never been able to do it (I know, it's a lot different from many other manufacturers - for example, I customized a Jeep Rubicon and got exactly my spec.)

In terms of dealer-installed items like roof racks and additional, unwanted features (ie. the added BS that a lot of dealers are currently including) - the GX 550 is currently a very in-demand model so many (if not most) dealers have no incentive to make changes, because they have a line of buyers and someone will come along and pay the asking price including the options you don't want, and drive off with it that same day.

Are you currently on the waitlist for the specific dealer you visited, and was the GX 550 you tested being offered to you? If you are already on their waitlist and the test drive was to gauge your interest, the only choice you have in the current market is to buy it or wait. They are not likely to make any changes to the options, including any additional stuff that you don't want or need. Like most people, I would probably go to a different dealer that doesn't add costs above MSRP.

If you aren't on a waitlist currently, you will probably be waiting for some time (some folks are saying at least until next year) while the market cools down, at which point there will be more GX 550s available. When demand is lower, dealers will be more flexible.
I am on the waiting list and they did ask me for my preferences. I love the colors on the Overtrail but it would be largely a waste for me b/c I will never off road. I might do grass or beach but nothing else. I certainly don’t want to be difficult but at this price point I find it rather stunning I can’t choose what I want. But I am a realist and this is what it is and no one is forcing me to buy the car😂

I am on the wait list. I gave 2 colors and 2 interior options. You are correct I’m unaccustomed to not being able to choose my options. There’s lots of things on the car I’d never choose and probably will remove or replace but as you said, if I want the car, I’m going to pay for it! One of the cars I opted for will arrive by the end of June. It’s a luxury plus in white which is quite attractive…but im
Kinda “the rain washes my car” type. They told me at the dealership every Saturday from May to September you can come and have you car washed and vacuumed for free… so it might stay clean for 5 months. My other choice is Incognito ( in layman’s terms, gray) I’d love to see the car in that color. I dint want to see it later and have regrets

Not the first, but the first I actually bought. 1998 GMC Sierra.
1717208634072.jpeg

GX550 Poll

• 1. tOny enD

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • 2. MJM

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • 3. SsgIncognito

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. bfloyd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5. Let’s Gooo!

Votes: 1 4.3%