GX550 Overtrail Vibration

connorville

May 16, 2024
Texas
Picked up our Overtrail + on Saturday and immediately after pulling out of the dealer's lot we noticed a vibration that was present. We originally thought it was the tires being unbalanced or maybe the alignment was off.

We just picked it back up from the service today after being there for two days and they do not have an answer. I went on a test drive with their master mechanic who did notice what we were feeling and agrees it seemed odd. The tech said wheel imbalance would occur and be noticeable at speeds around 55+. The vibration occurs from 5 mph upwards. But everything they checked shows that there shouldn't be an issue. They are thinking KDSS might be the blame or perhaps the offroad tires... They have opened up a ticket and we are currently waiting to hear back from Lexus.

Any other overtrail owners experience this?

I will keep this thread updated on what we hear and/or what we plan on doing. This Saturday will be our last opportunity (timewise) to return the vehicle for our trade in or keep the GX and hope that they are able to find a solution quickly. We do have an option to trade it for a Luxury+ they have coming in but we really like the styling of the overtrail we have and do plan on using it for off road driving. Every year we throw the roof top tent on and hit the trails camping.

We are coming from a Gen 3 (2021) Raptor, so in some aspects we are meeting out initial expectations. We were expecting the interior to definitely be premium over the Ford which it definitely has been! Lexus' new UI is far superior to their previous system. The ride quality though... it is just bouncy and a little more jeep like. The fact that it is not present on their luxury and premium trims leads me to believe it is unique to the overtrail.

I will keep this thread updated on what we hear and/or what we plan on doing. This Saturday will be our last opportunity (timewise) to return the vehicle for our trade in or keep the GX and hope that they are able to find a solution quickly. We do have an option to trade it for a Luxury+ they have coming in but we really like the styling of the overtrail we have and do plan on using it for off road driving. Every year we throw the roof top tent on and hit the trails camping.

We are coming from a Gen 3 (2021) Raptor, so in some aspects we are meeting out initial expectations. We were expecting the interior to definitely be premium over the Ford which it definitely has been! Lexus' new UI is far superior to their previous system. The ride quality though... it is just bouncy and a little more jeep like. The fact that it is not present on their luxury and premium trims leads me to believe it is unique to the overtrail.
Also have a ‘21 Raptor and looking to get into an Overtrail+. Please keep us posted

I can feel the off-road tires at times based on the road conditions with my Overtrail+, but I would not call it a vibration.

We have private roads in and around my home, most are not maintained well, so I can feel the off-road tires then. However, when on smooth roads/the highway, I do not notice the off-road tires.

Picked up my Luxury+ on Monday afternoon. Signed off on paperwork without a test drive. I immediately thought something was wrong when pulling out of the lot. Felt all kinds of weird vibrations and chattering (even at low speeds). Figured I was just used to being spoiled in my last two Defenders and that I'd get used to the stiffness and the 22 inch tires. Boy was I wrong. Had three other friends drive it and they all agreed something is wrong. Got a deal to trade it in for a Sequoia at another dealership, but decided to see if there was an actual issue that could be fixed. The dealer agreed the car wasn't behaving as it should and they test drove the other Luxury+ they have on the lot. They said the other one was actually worse than mine. They think it's probably something with the wheels and tires, but they are doing more research. In the meantime, I have a base TX as a loaner for the weekend and can tell you it rides 1,000,000 times nicer than my GX. If they can't fix it, I won't keep it.

Was the vibration mostly in the
Picked up my Luxury+ on Monday afternoon. Signed off on paperwork without a test drive. I immediately thought something was wrong when pulling out of the lot. Felt all kinds of weird vibrations and chattering (even at low speeds). Figured I was just used to being spoiled in my last two Defenders and that I'd get used to the stiffness and the 22 inch tires. Boy was I wrong. Had three other friends drive it and they all agreed something is wrong. Got a deal to trade it in for a Sequoia at another dealership, but decided to see if there was an actual issue that could be fixed. The dealer agreed the car wasn't behaving as it should and they test drove the other Luxury+ they have on the lot. They said the other one was actually worse than mine. They think it's probably something with the wheels and tires, but they are doing more research. In the meantime, I have a base TX as a loaner for the weekend and can tell you it rides 1,000,000 times nicer than my GX. If they can't fix it, I won't keep it.

I can feel your frustration, sorry. Was the vibration mostly in the steering wheel or all over the vehicle like seats...etc?

Was the vibration mostly in the

I can feel your frustration, sorry. Was the vibration mostly in the steering wheel or all over the vehicle like seats...etc?
The whole vehicle. You can hear seatbelts rattling in the back. My wife said she’d need dramamine if we ever took it on a road trip. She also thought her seat was loose at first, but nope, whole truck just chatters for no reason.

The technicians performing the dealer prep on these GX's are suppose to test drive all new vehicles prior to the sale. The vibration issues should have been detected and corrected.
Agreed! The car had 11 miles on it before I pulled out of the dealer. The one tech today said it felt like there could be packaging/shipping blocks that weren’t pulled from the springs. So imagine how bad the ride actually is.

The whole vehicle. You can hear seatbelts rattling in the back. My wife said she’d need dramamine if we ever took it on a road trip. She also thought her seat was loose at first, but nope, whole truck just chatters for no reason.

Wow! Unbelievable!

IMG_2609.png

Attachments

• IMG_2608.png
    IMG_2608.png
    152.5 KB · Views: 45

Please do keep us posted. My OT+ due in June. Hope it’s an easy fix for you!

Agreed! The car had 11 miles on it before I pulled out of the dealer. The one tech today said it felt like there could be packaging/shipping blocks that weren’t pulled from the springs. So imagine how bad the ride actually is.
Hopefully it’s the blocks on the springs. In 2016 I purchased a Shelby GT350-R and had it shipped. It had to be dropped off at a nearby lot for unloading as I drove it for the first time I felt an awful rattle… yup dealership did not pull the blocks off the suspension.

Hmmmm. I have found an OT+ that fits my config but it's not local to me. I would be trading in my '21 Gen. 3 Raptor and making a road trip.

I have not driven a GX550 yet. For the OP - How do you like your OT+ vs. your Raptor so far - vibrations aside... I'm presuming that will get addressed. Seems like there are a number of posts from OT+ owners in other forums that don't seem to have any issues like that.

Did you drive a GX550 before picking up yours?

GX550 Poll

• 1. tOny enD

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • 2. MJM

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • 3. SsgIncognito

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. bfloyd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5. Let’s Gooo!

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • 6. Widdlewadder510