Land Rover already feeling the GX550 Competition?

No opting out… This is included in the build with the added note that it needs to be renewed after three years.. As stated on my build sheet;
Lexus interface with 14 inch touchscreen display includes 3 year trial of Drive Connect with Cloud Navigation, intelligent assistant, and destination assist. Subscription required after trial. 4 G network dependent. There is also a remote connect with a 3 year trial that is 4G dependent. Also I have a 30 day AT&T hotspot trial, again 4G network dependent. All options added to my build (cannot be removed) total an additional $3,139.00.
I have not clarified how 4G network dependent plays into all of the technology.
Sorry if my answer is “clear as mud”…
The “4G network dependant” bit is just a disclaimer that none of this works if you aren’t in range of a cell tower.

No cellular connection, no smart features.

There were a lot of misconceptions floating around that these features utilized satellites and were available anywhere among different manufacturers.

Last edited:
If you are patient the novelty of the new model will go away and better deals will be available. In 2020 I wanted a Nebula Grey/Red interior my dealer only had one that was a demo with 500 miles, I received a discount for 5k! My brain tells me to wait til next year but I never let the “facts get in the way of an emotional decision!” I also have an issue incurring future cost for technology that may not be upgradable. I’m also interested in a hybrid however that may be very expensive. Like I posted earlier, I love my wife’s X5 50e plug-in! It has power and she drove it 1400 miles before I filled the tank!

Thank you Ben O for the info. You explained it very well. I just wish we could order options we want instead of all being "hearded" together. I'm trying to retire with this vehicle and less is more to me.
I agree and share the same buyer perspective. Unfortunately, car companies are hoping customers agree to pay them "ever green" revenue, and so subscriptions is what they are trying. It will fail, but it will take some time to do so. I would tell Lexus you either sell me the car or you don't. If you don't want to sell me the car in its entirety, ok, then I won't buy it. Subscriptions are a bad idea, and I wonder if Google and those companies are paying car companies money to withhold stand alone and independent interfaces? If the car companies don't do it, Apple and Google can. Maybe Apple and Google are paying Lexus and others to withhold technology that is proprietary to Lexus, thus selling the customer out to big tech for marketing? The current crop of cars are basically "disposable" cars. You're not supposed to buy them outright and hold them for a decade plus, even through your retirement. you're supposed to be OK enough to drive it about 5-8 years, and then switch to an EV. The lack of customization is clearly signalling - to me - the cars being sold today are not designed as long term vehicles, but hold over models until manufacturers have sufficient capacity to go EV. If you want a custom SUV, Grenadier does it with gusto. But other than them, I don't think there's any other custom SUV you can buy. I looked at JLR for a full sized $100k+ RR, and even that was not customizable. You buy what they build, which may not necessarily be what you want. But what you - the buyer - want is not relevant, as the car is not supposed to be driven for the long term. you're supposed to get tired of it and trade it for an EV. That's why there's such strict limitations on custom buids. That's the market today....

Reactions: MJE
I agree and share the same buyer perspective. Unfortunately, car companies are hoping customers agree to pay them "ever green" revenue, and so subscriptions is what they are trying. It will fail, but it will take some time to do so. I would tell Lexus you either sell me the car or you don't. If you don't want to sell me the car in its entirety, ok, then I won't buy it. Subscriptions are a bad idea, and I wonder if Google and those companies are paying car companies money to withhold stand alone and independent interfaces? If the car companies don't do it, Apple and Google can. Maybe Apple and Google are paying Lexus and others to withhold technology that is proprietary to Lexus, thus selling the customer out to big tech for marketing? The current crop of cars are basically "disposable" cars. You're not supposed to buy them outright and hold them for a decade plus, even through your retirement. you're supposed to be OK enough to drive it about 5-8 years, and then switch to an EV. The lack of customization is clearly signalling - to me - the cars being sold today are not designed as long term vehicles, but hold over models until manufacturers have sufficient capacity to go EV. If you want a custom SUV, Grenadier does it with gusto. But other than them, I don't think there's any other custom SUV you can buy. I looked at JLR for a full sized $100k+ RR, and even that was not customizable. You buy what they build, which may not necessarily be what you want. But what you - the buyer - want is not relevant, as the car is not supposed to be driven for the long term. you're supposed to get tired of it and trade it for an EV. That's why there's such strict limitations on custom buids. That's the market today....
Well said! I believe the reason most of us own or are looking to own the GX is precisely because we believe the usable life and reliability cannot be matched. We all have memories of the original Land Cruiser. I continue to see quite a few of the original GX470’s on the road. My eldest daughter is still mad I didn’t give her my first GX back in the day? This will be (I believe) my 6th GX and I have never had an issue with any of them, of course the highest miles I had is 50-55k miles. So we are stuck as you said with their attempt to hold us hostage to future subscriptions.
My salesman text me to expect my GX any day now. So I will be all excited and forget about the ‘BS” part of the purchase!
Thx for your insight!

Reactions: MJE
Glad to have found this thread!

I'm probably down to either a Defender 110 or the GX550 Overtrail. If Land Rover inventory is overflowing, it'll help me make a decision.

Following here...

Glad to have found this thread!

I'm probably down to either a Defender 110 or the GX550 Overtrail. If Land Rover inventory is overflowing, it'll help me make a decision.

Following here...
If I was told back in July the GX would not be available til now (mine is due any min) I would have purchased the Defender 110... withour hesitation. I was impressed with the power of the mild hybrid engine. I figured with warranty I had at least 4 years to enjoy or trade it in for the GX550 when inventory allows for choices in models. It appears the 110 holds a lot of value so I wasn't to concerned if I decided to go and a purchase the new GX. I was also considering the possibility of the GX in a hybrid which is SUPPOSEDLY due later this year.

Last edited:
the new 2025 Defender is now out for ordering - I've been checking that out online for changes vs the 2024. gx or 110? what a tough call. the 2025 defender gives you the same (bigger) main central screen on all trims, plus a better stereo. you can still do the 110 in 19" rims, but no more of the 18" steel wheels :) although not the magical 18"s, it's better than the 20"s. If JLR didn't have the 19s, I'd definitely be strongly tilting to the GX OT. As it is, at 19s with lots of cool stuff, it's a really close call. I've not driven a gx yet, but the defender I did test drive was comfortable.

the new 2025 Defender is now out for ordering - I've been checking that out online for changes vs the 2024. gx or 110? what a tough call. the 2025 defender gives you the same (bigger) main central screen on all trims, plus a better stereo. you can still do the 110 in 19" rims, but no more of the 18" steel wheels :) although not the magical 18"s, it's better than the 20"s. If JLR didn't have the 19s, I'd definitely be strongly tilting to the GX OT. As it is, at 19s with lots of cool stuff, it's a really close call. I've not driven a gx yet, but the defender I did test drive was comfortable.
It’s a good suv for the street. Fashionable, good looking, comfortable, modern. It can also be a good adventure vehicle. New bmw v8 will add reliability. Air ride would be a treat to daily. No shame in preferring JLR over Toyota. Get what you like

It’s a good suv for the street. Fashionable, good looking, comfortable, modern. It can also be a good adventure vehicle. New bmw v8 will add reliability. Air ride would be a treat to daily. No shame in preferring JLR over Toyota. Get what you like
I've owned 6 GX's starting with the oringinal 470. I have never had an issue only regular Service and tires. I was about to put an order on the Defender 110 X-Dynamic P400. Price differnce between the Overtrail Plus and the Defender is not much different. My Lexus salesman told be I could have one of the first new GX"s when they became available so I waited ( longer than I expected). I don't think you can go wrong with either one but the Defender does have more prestige. I ended up with a Premium Plus and I (so far) am extremely happy with my purchase. I forgot to mention I have a friend who owns a British Motor shop and when I asked him for his advice... he said of all the Land Rover's he woudl pick the Defender. He also asked me "have I ever had an issue with my Gx's" I said never, he bluntly stated...why would you change. He also mentioned if I decided to keep the vehicle after the warranty he would go with the Lexus. I found my Premium Plus felt very similar to the Defender I test drove. Remember the Lexus has a Sport Mode if you want that extra boost. Like I said...I don't believe you can go wrong with either choice.

I just discovered this thread because I'm choosing between these two vehicles. I am not an offroader, so that's not a consideration. I want an SUV with a towing capacity >7,500 lbs. that has a refined, luxury interior and is nice to drive around town and park (i.e., I don't want something as large as a Suburban or even an X7/GLE). We typically keep vehicles for only as long as they're under warranty (sometimes lease, sometimes buy).

I'm torn between the two. I had a LR Range Rover Sport in the past. I loved it, but it suffered from reliability issues, and I'm hesitant to go down the LR road again (though I have heard that the new Defenders are more reliable.) That said, I suspect I'll like the way it drives/handles better than the GX, and I appreciate the 2" of extra legroom in the second row.

OTOH, the GX has significantly more cargo space (46 vs 36 cu ft) behind the second row and when the second row is folded flat. That's a big deal for road trips and even hauling stuff around town.

Are there other significant differences I should be considering? I realize the replies here will be biased, and that's fine. I'm posting something similar on a Land Rover forum.

Note: I've been on a waitlist at a dealer in Oregon, and they just texted me to say they have an Overtrail (not Overtrail+) that someone canceled an order for. I could pick it up as early as the 2nd week of June. It has the 10.7" HUD, traffic jam assist, cool box, and bi-tone paint. It will go fast, so I'm trying to make a decisions in the next couple of days.

Count me in the same boat - Defender vs. GX550. It's cool that you have an option on a GX available in your area.

What color is it?

I know it's minor, but one small thing that bugs me about the Defender is the location of the shifter. It reminds me of a mini van having it on the dash.

I just discovered this thread because I'm choosing between these two vehicles. I am not an offroader, so that's not a consideration. I want an SUV with a towing capacity >7,500 lbs. that has a refined, luxury interior and is nice to drive around town and park (i.e., I don't want something as large as a Suburban or even an X7/GLE). We typically keep vehicles for only as long as they're under warranty (sometimes lease, sometimes buy).

I'm torn between the two. I had a LR Range Rover Sport in the past. I loved it, but it suffered from reliability issues, and I'm hesitant to go down the LR road again (though I have heard that the new Defenders are more reliable.) That said, I suspect I'll like the way it drives/handles better than the GX, and I appreciate the 2" of extra legroom in the second row.

OTOH, the GX has significantly more cargo space (46 vs 36 cu ft) behind the second row and when the second row is folded flat. That's a big deal for road trips and even hauling stuff around town.

Are there other significant differences I should be considering? I realize the replies here will be biased, and that's fine. I'm posting something similar on a Land Rover forum.

Note: I've been on a waitlist at a dealer in Oregon, and they just texted me to say they have an Overtrail (not Overtrail+) that someone canceled an order for. I could pick it up as early as the 2nd week of June. It has the 10.7" HUD, traffic jam assist, cool box, and bi-tone paint. It will go fast, so I'm trying to make a decisions in the next couple of days.

I was in the same situation as you. I ended up with a Premium + with HUD, traffic jam assist, and a couple of other accessories. I drove the P400 X Dynamic SE, similar drive, a bit more wind noise on the defender. Defender in my opinion is a bit more prestigious however it also cost approximately 5K more and has the rear tire on the back door. Also the back door swings open (like older GX’s) I like the new auto lift gate on my GX. The off road options are pretty much the same between the O/T and Defender. I do like the 3 driving modes on the GX, in sport the response is very good. I have also traded in my past GX’s within the warranty period. My British mechanic friend suggested the Lexus especially if you keep it past the warranty period. For a reasonable price on the Lexus you can extend the base warranty also the engine is good for 6yrs/70k. I have previously mention this is my 6th GX and I have not had any issues with my previous 5… But damn the Defender is good looking! If you don’t like the GX I’m sure you can unload it in a heart beat!

Last edited:

We ordered and took delivery of a new 2023 Defender 110 Dynamic-X about this time last year. Out of the year of ownership, it has been in the shop for a total of about 2.5 months. It has left us stranded twice, and once, I had to have it flat towed to the dealership. We really like the Defender, but unfortunately, it's not reliable enough to be our family car. So, I ordered an Overtrail+ and will trade it in as soon as our new GX arrives.

Also, I don't know if the GX will have the same issue, but the Defender's windshield is very upright and prone to rocks, bugs, etc. I don't know if it also has to do with the vehicle's front-end shape, but EVERYTHING hits the windshield. We already had to have the windshield replaced once. I started looking around at other Defenders and noticed lots have cracked windshields as well. So, if you go with a Defender, take the dealership up on the additional windshield protection plan I reluctantly declined at the time of purchase.

We ordered and took delivery of a new 2023 Defender 110 Dynamic-X about this time last year. Out of the year of ownership, it has been in the shop for a total of about 2.5 months. It has left us stranded twice, and once, I had to have it flat towed to the dealership. We really like the Defender, but unfortunately, it's not reliable enough to be our family car. So, I ordered an Overtrail+ and will trade it in as soon as our new GX arrives.

Also, I don't know if the GX will have the same issue, but the Defender's windshield is very upright and prone to rocks, bugs, etc. I don't know if it also has to do with the vehicle's front-end shape, but EVERYTHING hits the windshield. We already had to have the windshield replaced once. I started looking around at other Defenders and noticed lots have cracked windshields as well. So, if you go with a Defender, take the dealership up on the additional windshield protection plan I reluctantly declined at the time of purchase.
The windshield on the new GX is more upright than past models.

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies. Frankly, I'm probably crazy to buy either of these vehicles. I live in Bend, OR. The closest LR dealership is 3 hours away in Portland, and the closest Lexus dealership is 2.5 hours away in Eugene. If something happens that requires warranty service, I'll have to drive a long way for it (assuming the vehicle can drive; if not, it will have to be towed a long way, which means more time without it).

Perhaps I'm better off buying a used Defender that is either out of warranty or close to it. In that case, I'd be paying for repairs anyway and wouldn't have a reason to take it to the dealership. There's a highly regarded Land Rover repair shop here.

If anyone can think of another vehicle that can tow >7,500 lbs, has a luxury interior, and isn't a huge SUV, let me know!

I had a Defender 110 x and liked it very much, but I like our new GX better. My biggest complaint about the Defender related to the electronics being very slow to react. I also believe the long-term reliability to be much more sound with the Lexus.

GX550 Poll

• 1. tOny enD

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • 2. MJM

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • 3. SsgIncognito

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. bfloyd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5. Let’s Gooo!

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • 6. Widdlewadder510