New Toyota Recalled Announced: 2023 Tundra & Lexus LX vehicles

supersix

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 12, 2023
Lexus-Recall-May30.jpg

PLANO, Texas (May 30, 2024)—Toyota is conducting a safety recall involving certain model year 2022–2023 Toyota Tundra and Lexus LX (conventional gas model only) vehicles in North America. Approximately, 102,000 Toyota and Lexus branded vehicles are involved in this recall in the U.S.

There is a possibility that certain machining debris may not have been cleared from the engine when it was produced. In the involved vehicles, this can lead to potential engine knocking, engine rough running, engine no start and/or a loss of motive power. A loss of motive power while driving at higher speeds can increase the risk of a crash.

Toyota is currently developing the remedy for this issue.

Owners of involved vehicles will be notified by late July 2024.

Information about automotive recalls, including but not limited to the list of involved vehicles, is current as of today’s filing date and is subject to change thereafter. To see if your vehicle is involved in a safety recall visit Toyota.com/recall or nhtsa.gov/recalls and enter your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) or license plate information.

For any additional questions, Toyota customer support is also available by calling the Toyota Brand Engagement Center (1-800-331-4331) for Toyota vehicles.

Last edited:
View attachment 1214

PLANO, Texas (May 30, 2024)—Toyota is conducting a safety recall involving certain model year 2022–2023 Toyota Tundra and Lexus LX (conventional gas model only) vehicles in North America. Approximately, 102,000 Toyota and Lexus branded vehicles are involved in this recall in the U.S.

There is a possibility that certain machining debris may not have been cleared from the engine when it was produced. In the involved vehicles, this can lead to potential engine knocking, engine rough running, engine no start and/or a loss of motive power. A loss of motive power while driving at higher speeds can increase the risk of a crash.

Toyota is currently developing the remedy for this issue.

Owners of involved vehicles will be notified by late July 2024.

Information about automotive recalls, including but not limited to the list of involved vehicles, is current as of today’s filing date and is subject to change thereafter. To see if your vehicle is involved in a safety recall visit Toyota.com/recall or nhtsa.gov/recalls and enter your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) or license plate information.

For any additional questions, Toyota customer support is also available by calling the Toyota Brand Engagement Center (1-800-331-4331) for Toyota vehicles.
Thanks for the information

I think a bunch of us sort of knew this was probably coming. The good news is that Toyota/Lexus have officially acknowledged the issue, and should, therefore, be taking care of everyone without much hassle. And, very soon, if not already recently, has addressed the issue at the stage of cleaning the debris from the blocks, so from this point forward, this should no longer be an issue. However, considering the number of motors affected prior to them catching the issue that will need to be replaced, that will probably create some vehicle production delays.

Not sure. Was hoping the V6 Turbo for the LX600 and GX550 is being built in the Tahara plant. Can't find any info confirming that though. Everything points to this engine (V35A-FTS) being built only in Huntsville, AL.

True. Need Lexus to provide more info on GX's status in this recall group. Is it in or out. Info will affect buying decision for some.

The LX600 are made in the Tahara plant in Japan. And of course the engines for the GX are also made in Japan.

I’ve heard the GX uses smaller turbos than on the Tundra. So while it’s the same engine, it is a slightly different setup.

If the issue really is debris from machining, let’s all just hope they knew this was a problem and took extra precaution for the GX.

I'm beginning to believe, in my opinion, to wait until the 2025 models to be released and see what gets improved or changed. I'm not liking what I am hearing about the gas tank size, milage range, and the cost of insurance. (I know insurance is not a Lexus issue but I have to evaluate it also.) I know this is a wonderful vehicle that is probably the best on road and off road capable SUV and the look of it is just perfect. I hope everyone that owns one has a great experience and many happy miles. I want one for my last vehicle and fortunately I can wait.

I'm beginning to believe, in my opinion, to wait until the 2025 models to be released and see what gets improved or changed. I'm not liking what I am hearing about the gas tank size, milage range, and the cost of insurance. (I know insurance is not a Lexus issue but I have to evaluate it also.) I know this is a wonderful vehicle that is probably the best on road and off road capable SUV and the look of it is just perfect. I hope everyone that owns one has a great experience and many happy miles. I want one for my last vehicle and fortunately I can wait.
3 of my last 4 vehicle purchases have been from the Toyota family, but I honestly think this distinction may go to the Defender. The V35A thing may drive me in that direction.

Probably a wise decision Gunner.

Keep in mind, on any forum we tend to hear complaints at a higher frequency than in reality.
The gas tank is 21.1 gallons. So theoretically on the highway at 21mgp that’s that’s 443 miles. Seems plenty to me. That’s over 6 hours of driving. (Granted it’s not all hwy miles in reality).
Insurance isn’t going down anytime soon. Just the unfortunate reality with this crazy inflation.

I’m a few weeks out from delivery and just yesterday my wife and I were thinking the same thing as you. Wait to be safe. But I am going to go drive “mine” when it comes in and I have a feeling I’m going to love it.
There are currently hundreds and soon thousands of very happy customers out there.

Probably the smartest thing to do is wait for the mid cycle refresh. But life is short!

GX550 Poll

• 1. tOny enD

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • 2. MJM

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • 3. SsgIncognito

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. bfloyd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5. Let’s Gooo!

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • 6. Widdlewadder510