OT Roof Rack

Thank you for asking. I liked everything about the vehicle. Only one thing grabbed my attention. The steering is exceptionally light. Is this due to the off-road tires or by design? I am used to feeling the road. I know I won't be performance driving but that is the one thing I noticed, not bad, just noticed. By the way I am new to the segment.

Thank you! This is great to hear. I can live with light steering :).

I assume that 165lbs limit for the rails is for dynamic load not static?

Looks like the Prinsu GX550 rack weighs 70lbs so hopefully that’s not just leaving you with 95lbs of dynamic capacity (assuming 165lb roof load cap). Hopefully that’s just applicable to the rails.

If I were doing a tent I’d consider skipping a platform based rack to save some weight and go with just low profile load bars.

I’m sure at the Overland Expos we’ll see some new stuff coming to market and maybe get some clarity from Prinsu/Wescott/Rhino/etc on loads.

I believe the 165 lbs is the load rating for the factory rails only whether they are being used with crossbars or factory rack. The load rating for the Prinsu Pro rack is 700lbs dynamic and 1200lbs static.

Basically, the factory rails are not meant for RTTs which is disappointing.

I have my GX Luxury coming in 2 weeks with the $1450 low profile roof rack and I am having it removed from the dealer because I didn't want it to block the Panoramic Glass roof view. Would anyone be interested in buying it? - price negotiable

Last edited:
I believe the 165 lbs is the load rating for the factory rails only whether they are being used with crossbars or factory rack. The load rating for the Prinsu Pro rack is 700lbs dynamic and 1200lbs static.

Basically, the factory rails are not meant for RTTs which is disappointing.
that is disappointing. hopefully they’ll be an alternative that stays within load.

I’m more interested in what the max load of the GX550s actual roof/mounting points.

I’m sure the Prinsu is beefy and can handle that weight.

But can the attachment points/roof? I really don’t see it (nor would ever want that much weight that high while driving lol).

From Prinsu’s site, “The Prinsu Pro Rack is limited by the weight capacity of the vehicle. Please consult the manufacturer of your vehicle for guidelines and capacities regarding individual load capacity.”

Ineos lists their capacity fwiw.

I assume that 165lbs limit for the rails is for dynamic load not static?

Looks like the Prinsu GX550 rack weighs 70lbs so hopefully that’s not just leaving you with 95lbs of dynamic capacity (assuming 165lb roof load cap). Hopefully that’s just applicable to the rails.

If I were doing a tent I’d consider skipping a platform based rack to save some weight and go with just low profile load bars.

I’m sure at the Overland Expos we’ll see some new stuff coming to market and maybe get some clarity from Prinsu/Wescott/Rhino/etc on loads.
Thank you for a thoughtful post

Thank you for asking. I liked everything about the vehicle. Only one thing grabbed my attention. The steering is exceptionally light. Is this due to the off-road tires or by design? I am used to feeling the road. I know I won't be performance driving but that is the one thing I noticed, not bad, just noticed. By the way I am new to the segment.
That's the electronic steering.

that is disappointing. hopefully they’ll be an alternative that stays within load.

I’m more interested in what the max load of the GX550s actual roof/mounting points.

I’m sure the Prinsu is beefy and can handle that weight.

But can the attachment points/roof? I really don’t see it (nor would ever want that much weight that high while driving lol).

From Prinsu’s site, “The Prinsu Pro Rack is limited by the weight capacity of the vehicle. Please consult the manufacturer of your vehicle for guidelines and capacities regarding individual load capacity.”

Ineos lists their capacity fwiw.
Ok my view is if the car company put it in their commercials, there should not be a problem otherwise, it’s false advertising or going to hide behind marketing,it’s up to us to use common sense not to overload due to stress points

Ok my view is if the car company put it in their commercials, there should not be a problem otherwise, it’s false advertising or going to hide behind marketing,it’s up to us to use common sense not to overload due to stress points
I don’t think they would stick out their neck out not to make something that’s not true they’re probably not interested in bad press and backlash

This might be helpful:

haha - just came to post the same.

I’m glad he included the weight ratings from the instruction: dynamic (163lb) & static (600lb) from

IMG_3257.jpeg

Lexus is taking the roof rack off for customers complaining about the noise. I just scheduled my overtrail to get it removed.

I was told they are checking solutions with Lexus and maybe adding a wind deflector.

In my case, we are mostly taking long road trips and 8, 9 hours driving with that noise would not be great

Lexus is taking the roof rack off for customers complaining about the noise. I just scheduled my overtrail to get it removed.

I was told they are checking solutions with Lexus and maybe adding a wind deflector.

In my case, we are mostly taking long road trips and 8, 9 hours driving with that noise would not be great
@BPD53190 This is interesting, thank you for sharing. Do you know if this is just your dealer/region or is it Lexus nationwide?

@BPD53190 This is interesting, thank you for sharing. Do you know if this is just your dealer/region or is it Lexus nationwide?
In my case I complained about it literally minutes after I bought and received the car. As soon as I took the toll road a few miles after leaving the dealer and hit 60-70 mph I noticed it. So I called them and made sure they confirmed I wasn’t going to be charged for the service. I think any Lexus dealer would agree to it on these terms. At least for the overtrail with the optioned offered from the start.

Moreover , there is a long line of waiting customers and mostly gx 550s when they arrive there is no test drive allowed or even time to do it, since many arrive pre sold already. That makes difficult for customers to learn about the noise or test and see if it’s acceptable.

As for the “solution” , I was told they were officially informing Lexus and asking for instructions on how to proceed. That’s because alll the customers of the overtrails received with the rack roof asked to remove it. This was their first batch (mine was the 3rd unit or so). Thus, they told me once the stock keeps coming in big numbers they will have a hard time mounting / unmounting RR for everyone or almost everyone. that was the main reason why they would officially inform Lexus. If that results in some choice or solution offered to the clients , well , that I think would be nation wide. But it surely would take time and a lot of complaints.

In my case I complained about it literally minutes after I bought and received the car. As soon as I took the toll road a few miles after leaving the dealer and hit 60-70 mph I noticed it. So I called them and made sure they confirmed I wasn’t going to be charged for the service. I think any Lexus dealer would agree to it on these terms. At least for the overtrail with the optioned offered from the start.

Moreover , there is a long line of waiting customers and mostly gx 550s when they arrive there is no test drive allowed or even time to do it, since many arrive pre sold already. That makes difficult for customers to learn about the noise or test and see if it’s acceptable.

As for the “solution” , I was told they were officially informing Lexus and asking for instructions on how to proceed. That’s because alll the customers of the overtrails received with the rack roof asked to remove it. This was their first batch (mine was the 3rd unit or so). Thus, they told me once the stock keeps coming in big numbers they will have a hard time mounting / unmounting RR for everyone or almost everyone. that was the main reason why they would officially inform Lexus. If that results in some choice or solution offered to the clients , well , that I think would be nation wide. But it surely would take time and a lot of complaints.
I have a 2020 Toyota Land Cruiser which has a roof rack with wind shield some noise but it’s probably because of height and the fact they are mounted on the roof rails that’s why I’m went with the prinsu roof rack low profile for my GX OVERTRAIL +

Do you mean the roof rack of your overtrail is making less noise than what you previously had in the land cruiser + windshield?
For me, the overtrail one is already unbearable after some hours if I don't have the radio on, I wonder what's it like with your land cruiser...

there is also an aesthetic aspect to the whole thing, keeping the roof rack seems nice at least in my opinion, so I'm even considering adding later a windshield. but we're not going camping at least for the foreseeable future. it's just my wife and me, so cargo space is also not a problem.

Do you mean the roof rack of your overtrail is making less noise than what you previously had in the land cruiser + windshield?
For me, the overtrail one is already unbearable after some hours if I don't have the radio on, I wonder what's it like with your land cruiser...

there is also an aesthetic aspect to the whole thing, keeping the roof rack seems nice at least in my opinion, so I'm even considering adding later a windshield. but we're not going camping at least for the foreseeable future. it's just my wife and me, so cargo space is also not a problem.
The way the roof rack on the Land Cruiser was fasten to the roof rails making it taller the wind shield came with the rack noise was minimal now on when I get my overtrail + I ordered the prinsu rack which is low profile and has a wind shield which for me important

The wind noise kicks in for me at 70 mph. I don't find it much different than our Q7 with a Thule whispbar w/Kuat Grip 6 or my friend's Defender with the Land Rover rack that looks the same as the Overtrail rack. However, I am curoius what the wind nose will be like once I add the Kurt Grip 6 (+ skis and boards) to the Overtrail rack next winter. I expect wind noise so maybe I have a higher tolerance.

GX550 Poll

• 1. tOny enD

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • 2. MJM

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • 3. SsgIncognito

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. bfloyd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5. Let’s Gooo!

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • 6. Widdlewadder510