PPF worth it?

Are you putting PPF on your GX?

• Total voters
lexus-ppf-gx550.jpg

I was considering having it done at the dealership for $450, however the reviews are really mixed.

I was planning on it, but the salesman said it wasn't worth it and if I wanted it just have a local shop do it.

Couple points on that

1. A lot of dealerships don’t even do it themselves, they farm it out to the lowest bidder for a comically high markup

2. It’s often not your choice as it gets done quite early in the prep/PPI stage. The game the dealers like to play is that it’s already on so you are stuck paying for their bad quality overpriced 3M. I’ve found Lexus to be particularly guilty of this. This even applies before vehicles have landed some times similar to the whole port installed options thing.

3. A top notch PPF guy is worth his weight in gold and will use superior techniques and products that will result in a superior wrap job that will look better and last longer. If you have the option to have your own guy do it then do that every time unless you are illiquid and need it rolled into your lease / financing for some reason.

I'm hoping my GX comes in around June-July timeframe, and plan to get PPT first thing.

I reached out to the highest rated shop in my area and they quoted me 8-10k, once the xpel precut's are available, for a near full wrap (pretty much everything except for the roof & glass). That seemed insanely high to me so I wanted to understand what others are paying / being quoted? I'm in Indianapolis area.

Even if not full coverage, interested in hearing estimates from others. I was expecting a full wrap to be around the 3-4k range.... but that was just a rough guestimate.

I'm hoping my GX comes in around June-July timeframe, and plan to get PPT first thing.

I reached out to the highest rated shop in my area and they quoted me 8-10k, once the xpel precut's are available, for a near full wrap (pretty much everything except for the roof). That seemed insanely high to me so I wanted to understand what others are paying / being quoted? I'm in Indianapolis area.

Even if not full coverage, interested in hearing estimates from others. I was expecting a full wrap to be around the 3-4k range.... but that was just a rough guestimate.
That seems a little high, especially for pre cut installation. What area are you from? I got a front clip ppf for my Tesla a year ago for around 2.5k. Another $1500 on top of that for paint correction and ceramic coat exterior/interior.

It’s a bigger car. I wouldn’t pay more than 6k for the whole car in my opinion. Even that seems kind of high.

That seems a little high, especially for pre cut installation. What area are you from? I got a front clip ppf for my Tesla a year ago for around 2.5k. Another $1500 on top of that for paint correction and ceramic coat exterior/interior.

It’s a bigger car. I wouldn’t pay more than 6k for the whole car in my opinion. Even that seems kind of high.
What you paid seems much more reasonable to me. I was expecting it to be a bit on the higher end due to having more surface area to cover since it's such a large, tall, and boxy vehicle. Even if I get a quote for a full wrap at 6k I think I would still consider just buying the pre-cut kits and doing it myself, or even just buying a few rolls of the un-cut.

I'm in northern Indiana, just outside of Indianapolis.

I've helped a few friends with window tints in the past so I think that should translate over to me wasting a bit less of the PPT compared to if I was 100% unexperienced.

What you paid seems much more reasonable to me. I was expecting it to be a bit on the higher end due to having more surface area to cover since it's such a large, tall, and boxy vehicle. Even if I get a quote for a full wrap at 6k I think I would still consider just buying the pre-cut kits and doing it myself, or even just buying a few rolls of the un-cut.

I'm in northern Indiana, just outside of Indianapolis.

I've helped a few friends with window tints in the past so I think that should translate over to me wasting a bit less of the PPT compared to if I was 100% unexperienced.
I really want to PPF my whole GX but I think I’m going to end up just doing the front clip, doors, and door sills and anything that’s gloss black. I feel like this would be a good value compromise as supposed to doing everything. That way I get my front clip protected and avoid scratching the gloss black around the car, plus some protection on the doors from trail rash and tight parking lots. I’ll also save money doing this and won’t be ousted by feeling bad when I get another round of fresh ppf down the road.

I'm not getting PPF because I can't stand seeing the seam. I am getting it ceramic coated. I also ceramic tinted the front two windows to match the back.

Yes! Do the complete front end, rockers, mirrors, headlights. Probably 1200 ish for Xpel. If done correctly, you will not see any seams. All my cars for the past 10 yrs, it's great.

Anyone have any experience with how the longevity of PPF is affected by the hood vibration on the GX?

How do other cars that do this handle?

I can only imagine it will affect longevity of the coating.

View attachment 934

View attachment 935

GX550 wrapped in Xpel Stealth film.
My GX is currently getting PPF and full ceramic combo at this shop (Detail Union, CA). As soon as I saw their work on this caviar, I was sold, they also have laser cuts ready for our car.

PPF is WORTH IT, it's costly no doubt, but if you have OCD like me it'll help for a more worry free experience especially on trails. The days of riding raw is over for me, I've had PPF on my cars and they've lasted for years before needing a touch up. Have had folks try to key my car before, debris from trucks spray my hood, debris from the trails shoot up to the fenders/doors and PPF defended against it.

Anyone have any experience with how the longevity of PPF is affected by the hood vibration on the GX?

How do other cars that do this handle?

I can only imagine it will affect longevity of the coating.
No impact, the same hood play is on the 4Runner, I've had PPF on my TRDP since 2019 and it's holding strong. Plastic trims won't hold as long however due to its surface texture.

My GX is currently getting PPF and full ceramic combo at this shop (Detail Union, CA). As soon as I saw their work on this caviar, I was sold, they also have laser cuts ready for our car.

PPF is WORTH IT, it's costly no doubt, but if you have OCD like me it'll help for a more worry free experience especially on trails. The days of riding raw is over for me, I've had PPF on my cars and they've lasted for years before needing a touch up. Have had folks try to key my car before, debris from trucks spray my hood, debris from the trails shoot up to the fenders/doors and PPF defended against it.
How much are they charging you? I’m looking for a place in SoCal/cencal

I've put PPF on my last 3 shiny Toyotas and I'm sure I'll wrap the leading edges and hood of the GX. Any work done through my local shop and not the dealer.

When I wash my 5 yr old RAV4 it's easy to see where impacts have landed and the paint was protected from chipping.

Last edited:

GX550 Poll

• 1. tOny enD

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • 2. MJM

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • 3. SsgIncognito

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. bfloyd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5. Let’s Gooo!

Votes: 1 4.3%