How far can you (theoretically) drive your GX on empty?? - the answer approximately 45 miles … (1 Viewer)

Emergencymed

Well-known member
🏆 GX of the Month
Joined
Mar 16, 2026
Messages
523
Media
276
Reaction score
548
Location
San Luis Obispo
The week before last was a busy driving week and I didn’t pay attention to my gas ⛽️ guage until coming back from work at the end of the week. Looking at the instrument cluster, I noticed to my chagrin that the gas guage was on empty and “remaining miles” read “1 mile.” 😱

Needless to say I made a direct b-line from the parking lot at work to Costco gas.

About 1-2 miles away the guage read “0” and a message came on the dash “refill needed” (or something like that).

I had done something that I always educate my kids to avoid at all costs. (Always keep gas at over 1/2 tank, and in the case of guzzlers like the GX - closer to 3/4 tank).

Tips that I learned from Special Forces guys that I worked alongside on the Kosovo border 30 years ago: 1. “Always back in your vehicle in case you have to leave quickly.” 2. “Keep a go bag with travel needs.” And 3. “Always have adequate petrol in your vehicle to evacuate at a moments notice.”

Pulling up to the pump - I was at “0” miles left and EMPTY. Now my curiosity kicked in… at Zero miles left, how much gas was actually left in the tank (what was my reserve capacity???)

The GX 550 has a 21.1 gallon tank (Approximately 80 liters). When I filled up the tank the pump indicated that I had filled 18.1 gallons.

IMG_5649.webp


This means the reserve in the GX’s tank at empty is just about 3 gallons - giving the vehicle approximately 45 +/- miles in a pinch.

Hopefully, I never make that error again and have to test out the math!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

GX550 Poll

  • Yes, I can pick up in Los Angeles (Burbank area)

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Yes, but I need it shipped.

    Votes: 10 58.8%
Back
Top Bottom