Realistically - when will we see inventory coming into the dealers and how much over MSRP do we think the dealer premium will be?

RootheadRockjaw

Jan 15, 2024
DFW - NE TX
The lease on my SOs 2021 S580
4matic is up this Friday. She wants either the new GX or the new LC,, neither of which I’m really wanting to pursue in the early delivery phase, as I just can’t stomach getting gouged just b/c it’s the new body style.

Whilst I never buy new (last March I picked up a 2017 Lexus 570 CPO, with only 13k on the odometer, from Park Place Lexus in the DFW area), my SO isn’t keen on going that route.

Whilst she is still thinking she’ll just go into DFW in May and have her pick of the litter, given the reality of a slow trickle of inventory meeting a bubble of pent-up demand, I’m thinking I advise her to just drive her “toy car” (2018 911 S4 Targa) and my LX and wait until autumn or 2024 year end, or do I suggest she goes into the 2023 GX on a 2yr ST lease?

Are my doom and gloom expectations of jacked up dealer pricing w/ 25-50% buyers premiums, a likely outcome?

What are y’all hearing from the dealers (my guy at Park Place Lexus in Plano TX, (located about a mile from Toyota and Lexus NA home/HQ offices), says they’re hearing very little about demand pricing premiums…

My dealer isn't marking up at all. I was offered one of the over Overtrail + or Luxury + models that will be arriving either late April or early May but turned down both because didn't like the color combos available. They should be getting new allocation lists every two weeks or so going forward.

I agree - at $85k you should get the GX you want, not the one they have on the lot. If it's not the right configuration on the first batch to the dealer, eventually you'll get what you want. JLR does ordering smart: you place your order and then wait. Waiting is the price you pay to get the SUV with the features you want. It's reasonable if you plan on using the car as a daily driver for the next decade, but obviously if it's a lease or short term ownership, you have less reason to be picky and probably don't care about checking every box on the wish list of features.

Lexus is definitely an outlier when it comes to the ordering experience.

Most manufacturers you submit a full build sheet and the car is built to your exact desires from day 1.

Lexus’s “ we build what we build” and you pick through the pile to find something you want is… odd

IDK about Lexus car care, but for my existing LR, the money to the dealership has likely been in servicing it. Do they need to crank up the MSRP? Not really, as that would implode their "after" sales at the service department. I think there are probably some dealers that do it anyways, but for folks that have owned a luxury vehicle before, we're not likely to fall for it. I know how much it costs to keep the LR on the road, and that clearly has helped the dealership. There's no need to gouge me at the outset. I know it, and many of the dealers likely know it too. On the other hand, a Toyota dealer with a LC, that's probably a "gouge them and forget them" type of sales model. My local Toyota dealer is terrible... All they did to me was push Highlanders:ROFLMAO:. I walked in there and said I was just at Lexus testing a GX, what did they have that is similar? Did they show me the LC? No. The 4Runner or Sequoia? Nope. They told me the Highlander was better than the GX because it has 3 rows, and they are both just as good on and off road, so the only difference was that if I chose the GX I wouldn't have the 3rd row that the "better" Highlander had! What a crock.... and this is why I've had a LR for a decade.

The lease on my SOs 2021 S580
4matic is up this Friday. She wants either the new GX or the new LC,, neither of which I’m really wanting to pursue in the early delivery phase, as I just can’t stomach getting gouged just b/c it’s the new body style.

Whilst I never buy new (last March I picked up a 2017 Lexus 570 CPO, with only 13k on the odometer, from Park Place Lexus in the DFW area), my SO isn’t keen on going that route.

Whilst she is still thinking she’ll just go into DFW in May and have her pick of the litter, given the reality of a slow trickle of inventory meeting a bubble of pent-up demand, I’m thinking I advise her to just drive her “toy car” (2018 911 S4 Targa) and my LX and wait until autumn or 2024 year end, or do I suggest she goes into the 2023 GX on a 2yr ST lease?

Are my doom and gloom expectations of jacked up dealer pricing w/ 25-50% buyers premiums, a likely outcome?

What are y’all hearing from the dealers (my guy at Park Place Lexus in Plano TX, (located about a mile from Toyota and Lexus NA home/HQ offices), says they’re hearing very little about demand pricing premiums…
Towson, Maryland has 3 pending delivery. $5000 market adjustment on each. Two are Luxury+, 1 is Overtrail+.

I read on the GX Reddit first batch of all trims totals 186 vehicles. Hopefully a second batch of higher volume will come over the summer. Probably best to see what the market holds for us then.

My closest dealer is 93 miles away & has $10,000. over MSRP on Overtrail trims and $5,000. over MSRP on all other trims. The next closest dealer has all trims at MSRP.

Newport Beach Lexus has a $25K markup. 3 other dealers I called are charging $15K over MSRP. The ones that don’t charge have long wait lists. I will likely pay the $15k on the one that is reserved for me— should have it in May/June

Given the likelihood of paying about $90k for a $75k vehicle, I’m now just thinking that getting my SO into a low mileage 22 LX600 or 21 LX570, is the way to go….(granted, it would be kinda weird to be a two LX family, but we’re both dead set against being “market adjusted”…)

GX550 Poll

• 1. tOny enD

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • 2. MJM

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • 3. SsgIncognito

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. bfloyd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5. Let’s Gooo!

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • 6. Widdlewadder510